What's new

Anyone have experience with SMF?

Rob Cool

Reaction score
Car
mk8 Accord 2.2 Dtec
Hi all,

My car has ticked over 167K miles and the clutch has started to slip more under boost :( It's the original so I can't complain haha!!

I'm going to get a standard LUK DMF and type s clutch kit but I'm wondering if anyone has converted a 2.2 I-dtec to SMF? And if so what are their opinions of it. I've seen a few on the 7th gen with mixed reviews.
It's annoying that CG only do a complete kit with a SMF, I would prefer an uprated clutch kit stronger than a type s but not requiring a SMF :(

I'm targeting around 220-230BHP and 450Nm torque, if I can reliably push more then I will lol, once I've done all the modifications I want to achieve/make. I will be getting a custom map with a more progressive torque increase rather than a massive early peak and big drop off (this will also help the clutch + gearbox)
Do you think a Type-S clutch will be okay with this?

thank you in advance.

Cheers
Rob

Bounder

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type S CW3
I have an ATS Tourer and one of Fahads Stage 2 Maps, DPF-EGR delete, I find the map ideal, smooth progressive power with no big lumps of power or torque to upset the balance of the car.
My Type S clutch seems to be holding up fine approaching 95k miles.
I would recommend Premier maps they are well proven at this stage and are a lovely map to use.

Rob Cool

Reaction score
Car
mk8 Accord 2.2 Dtec
Thank you, mine currently has a map but i guess a stage 1 as its 190Hp 420Nm torque, also has had DPF-EGR delete.
I plan on fitting a custom intake, larger intercooler, run a boost controller and maybe a few other things (Maybe just fully remove the DPF/EGR system why not haha).
Not loads, but I don't know how a stage 2 map with handle the modifications as i expect the stage 2 is good if the car is left as standard? Also i expect the air flow sensor will need recalibrating as there should be a fairly big increase which might throw the ECU into a wobbly, we will see :)

Thanks for you help though, I think definitely Type S clutch is the way to go :)

Bounder

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type S CW3
Mine is stock, no need for much more and in my experience the less you do mechanically the less chance of errors.
ATS have different specs to the standard N22B1 including the clutch and that accounts for the extra power before mapping.
I value smooth drivability and the remap has delivered exactly what I wanted in terms of its usability.
If it was me I would think about a larger IC but leave the intake as stock, its too easy to mess things up in that area.
KISS principle... :)