What's new

Anyone local for diagnosing power tailgate faults?

kingwowns

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 2.2
Hey guys - My gf is registered disabled and has a 2005 Accord Tourer.... Recently the tailgate stopped working completely and she had to climb through to manually open from the inside.

Thanks to you amazing people sharing your knowledge here, I found that leaving battery disconnected for ~10mins resets the boot ECU but this fault happens every couple of weeks...

Is anyone near Nottingham that she could come and see to work out via dignostic if the fault is fixable? Vertu Honda in Nottingham flatly refused without £85 upfront despite her extra dependance... And having no income due to illness she's a bit screwed!

Happy to pay beer tokens though :)

Cheers
Chris

Whereabouts in Notts ? e.g. Stapleford, Ruddington, Arnold etc etc

I have a Honda HDS (chinese clone) and I can have a look because there are about 20 codes listed for the tailgate ECU, although in my experience it doesn't store any of them

Hey Freddofrog - Thanks for your reply - She's in Hyson Green, I'm in Wollaton but happy to drive anywhere!

Cheers
Chris

jeez, 30 years ago I used to live in Hyson Green, off Southey St :eek: (no Asda in HG back then)

Not sure what's best, my place, your place, her place, or another house in Aspley. I'll send you a PM

Gotta love this place

Great stuff common fault is wiring failures you need to find code and then trouble shoot from there freddo frog do you have esm for this ?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

F6HAD said:
Gotta love this place
Yes we do cover nationwide

honda_saj said:
Great stuff common fault is wiring failures you need to find code and then trouble shoot from there freddo frog do you have esm for this ?

got it on several laptops ;)
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/19286-haynes-us-accord-workshop-manuals/?p=242598

also been involved in several long-distance fixes , two examples below from two years ago
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/19067-pesky-tourer-tailgate/?p=208699
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/19506-24-type-s-tourer-boot-lid/?p=211720

Great your all good to look out for hidden broken wires and scotch lock connections I had 2 in mine

honda_saj said:
Great your all good to look out for hidden broken wires and scotch lock connections I had 2 in mine
1st rule of troubleshooting is don't start with pre-conceptions ;)

freddofrog said:
1st rule of troubleshooting is don't start with pre-conceptions ;)
Oh no I'm talking from past experience but I shall leave in your hands

I was trying to give you tips but the reason most tourers are not repaired correctly and only work intermittent is down to wiring or connections not failing modules but everyone has their own opinion

There are many reasons why these go faulty Saj .... many many threads here on TA

Without any more info, and since I've already made arrangements with the OP, it's pointless starting with preconceptions

I have no preconceptions that Freddofrog will be successful but, if he is, we can all hail him as a hero.

I just hope that kingwowns' gf's car isn't left a smouldering ruin...

Jon_G said:
I have no preconceptions that Freddofrog will be successful but, if he is, we can all hail him as a hero.

I just hope that kingwowns' gf's car isn't left a smouldering ruin...
Blimey you know the OP, you're sending a Vauxhall Zafira to my house :eek:

_86554173_swns_zafira_fire_04.jpg

Jon_G said:
I've just seen that it's a diesel, so it should be safe.

Fingers crossed!
you seem to have a thing about fires Jon

https://www.blankmediagames.com/wp-content/themes/townofsalem/***ets/img/roles/Arsonist.png

Any update on this ?

freddofrog said:
There are many reasons why these go faulty Saj .... many many threads here on TA

Without any more info, and since I've already made arrangements with the OP, it's pointless starting with preconceptions
I have read all of those and none of them helped me sort my boot out it was hds for error code then follow esm remove panels repair wires reset and test. I can you tel you after looking at a few of these that nearly all problems with tailgate is wiring related but most people don't follow esm procedure to test and diagnose.

honda_saj said:
Any update on this ?

honda_saj said:
I have read all of those and none of them helped me sort my boot out it was hds for error code then follow esm remove panels repair wires reset and test. I can you tel you after looking at a few of these that nearly all problems with tailgate is wiring related but most people don't follow esm procedure to test and diagnose.

Come on Saj, you make it sound like all tailgate problems are due to broken wires. There is the slipping clutch issue (repair guide in a thread), there are closer mechanisms that do fail (repair guide in a thread), ECU failures (replacements in some threads), side sensor failures (one thread where I suggested disconnecting the sensor and the problem went away). Just because your car had broken wires does not mean that all cars have broken wires. Also, I have had an HDS longer than you have had one, so no need to keep "flaunting" HDS ...many issues can be, and have been, resolved without HDS.

Anyway, we met up in Nottingham on Saturday (29th). The tailgate was working and refused to stop working. As expected, and as you get 99 times out of 100 from a dealer ..."no codes sir".

There were a few other historical codes that I cleared, and I suggested that if it happens again, don't disconnect the battery but contact me ASAP.

We did run the HDS in "Data List" mode and it looks like there is possibly a fault ***ociated with either of the right-hand sensors. The OP said he would remove the trim and see if he could get to it (I sent a link to the relevant thread on here by PM).