What's new

Anyone moved stereo and climate location and fitted double din?

exec

Members
Reaction score
Car
'99 2.0 SE Exec
After driving some new Golf's recently, the only bit I liked about these new cars is the touch screen displays you get in them so pondered at getting a touch screen double din stereo for the Accord. Something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-KW-AV61BT-Double-System-Bluetooth/dp/B00B59P4XI/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398697305&sr=1-3

So the two questions I have are:

1) Is it a straight move for the OEM stereo and Climate unit to the bottom of the dash as is the case with Accords with factory sat nav unit?

2) Would a double din fit in the space where the climate unit and oem stereo are located in? or is adaptor and banking plates needed?

Cheers

So found some old threads about same topic, looks like it can be done, the climate switch can be moved down to wher ethe storage cubbies are, although whether the cable will go down there and the availiability fo fitting brackets is another thing.

Just need to decide whether to bite the bullet and get a double din and risk having it nicked. :unsure:

Ive fitted an alpine double din in my 2001 se in the top slot and moved the heater controls to the centre console using the brackets from a sat nav fitted car. hardest bit is deciding what to do with the space under the climate controls.

Dude the pioneer app radio is miles better than that JVC, about 25 notes more on the bay but has GPS and a whole load of other gizmos! That's what I'm planning to do also, if you do go ahead with it, could possibly do a DIY thread? If I get it done before you I will post up :)

^ You mean like this one: http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-pioneer-sphda02_p-27274.htm?id=pla&gclid=COTgktjRo74CFWvkwgodEqcApg

I don't like those ones as its integrating your phone, I wanted a stand alone unit where I can just pop into the car use right away, plus I only use Windows Phone so not compatible with those. I decided not to go ahead with one, as it would get nicked living in inner London, and for face off ones I would never use it as I wouldn't want to carry a face around, instead making a holder that will hole my phone infront of the OEM stereo.

Double din should be east to do though.

1) Remove current stereo and move climate unit to the bottom section, cables are long and flexible enough to go down.
2) Fabricate some cages, holders for bottom section, i was gonna use some ssd cages and mod them
3) you need to cut a piece of plastic that seperate climate unit and stereo to fit double din.

As vimpto mentioned you would be left with a blank space in bottom section, i would of just stuck the bose in or bought a storage pocket and just retrofit it in

exec said:
^ You mean like this one: http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-pioneer-sphda02_p-27274.htm?id=pla&gclid=COTgktjRo74CFWvkwgodEqcApg

I don't like those ones as its integrating your phone, I wanted a stand alone unit where I can just pop into the car use right away, plus I only use Windows Phone so not compatible with those. I decided not to go ahead with one, as it would get nicked living in inner London, and for face off ones I would never use it as I wouldn't want to carry a face around, instead making a holder that will hole my phone infront of the OEM stereo.

1) Remove current stereo and move climate unit to the bottom section, cables are long and flexible enough to go down.
2) Fabricate some cages, holders for bottom section, i was gonna use some ssd cages and mod them
3) you need to cut a piece of plastic that seperate climate unit and stereo to fit double din.

As vimpto mentioned you would be left with a blank space in bottom section, i would of just stuck the bose in or bought a storage pocket and just retrofit it in
Yeah that's the one! Hmm I see what you mean about theft in inner London. I too am a WP person & have found that Pioneer has flawless integration firmware for WPs on single & double DIN units. Didn't the executive come with the ultrasonic sensors??

How do you connect to the setreo? Is it all bluetooth as I ***ume mirrorlink dont work with WP8 yet, so not sure if you would be balt to use the phone as is?

Not sure if the Exec's came with Ultrasonics, thought they were optional extra? Am sure mine don't have it, but regardless alarm don't make any difference, I've seen the same thief round here smash windows on new cars and smash and grab stuff.

The ultrasonics are on the b post above the drivers seatbelt. I think my double din looks less obvious than the cd player I had fitted before. B)

exec said:

I would love a Double din in my car, it will just make it a bit more executive, mate keep us updated. if you can, can you take some pictures if you decide to go down the installation path

The only worry i would have is the fact that it could get nicked and we will be welcoming thieves to nick it

^ Yep already decided against it for theft reasons, as I know someone will try and nick it and smash the whole car in the process and secondly with the face off models I simply would not use it because I wouldnt want to carry the face around. On top of that a good unit with sat nav costs around £400, which is far too much, around near the market value of the car!

Instead what I am doing is and what I always wanted to do is use my phone. I thought about making a custom cage where the phone drops in and charges and hooks onto the speakers etc. But this would need a lot of thinking and planning, so will hold this off for now. Instead what I have done is I have made two hook that will slide in under the stereo and I have made them to sit as flush as possible, although they won't be 100% flush, then the phone just sits on the hook, need to test and modify to make sure it sits secure all the time, i.e doesnt fall under sharp turns, the phone will basically sit in front of the stereo towards the right, everything in the reach of my hand and eyesight.

Next I am thinking of getting this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Connects2-CTVHOX002-Accord-Adaptor-Interface/dp/B005FMYEXM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=07NN2VV07SN4YFFX6Y0M

That will give me a headphone jack to connect to the phone so I can use the car speakers, currently use a tape adaptor which would be fiddly using all the time, whereas with that I would have the cable ready to be plugged in and out all the time. Still pondering whether its worth spending double and getting xcarlink which will have the addition of sd card slot and usb.

So all in all this I prefer this, as with my Windows 8 Phone the interface and fucntionality of the phone is spot on, it comes with free full off line Nokia Drive sat nav software, which is simply awesome, and I use an app called Car Dash which gives you a simple dash screen for car use, and it is awesome, as my phone has NFC I have bought an NFC tag so when I put my phone the custom made holder it will automatically start the car dash app.

This is what the app looks like:

Car_Starter.jpg

So just finishing off the hooks an dwaiting for acan of plastidip to arrive so I can paint them.

oh by the way if you ant double din this is what it would look like:

spoon-cl1-accord-euro-r-06.jpg

That's a euro r as the console and dash are slightly different to the uk model.

It is indeed, but they are pretty much identical, so the look would be the same.

Yh that was my biggest worry, the car will be ruined if someone decided to break in. I am planning a similar setup with my Asus memo pad which is 7 inch tablet. I plan to place it over the storage bit with velcro. I know it sounds tatty but should be a nice fit

amazon link : you might as well go for something that has USB and SD input,

Do you mean put it on the storage pocket that has a door that flips down? I used to put my phone there with a holder molded with blue tac, but it is too low to look and operate on! I was going to also use velcros or magnets for the mod am doing but it just looks ghetto with velcro and other bits stuck on the dash. The Accord has the perfect dash layout for a touch screen display on the top section, everything is well withing eyesight and hand reach, such a shame a double din is out of the equation because of scum theives!

True say with the amazon link, seems pointless not to spend extra 20 notes for something with usb and sd functionality which will come in handy, still in two minds though, as I dont want to spend so much on such a simple device that should really be half the price they go for, I mean you can buy a stereo for those prices! <_<

That would be very helpful and nice to see. :)

That looks awesome, you've made me lust after one again! :(

Did the bezel come with your stereo? As it looks like a perfect fit

The trim did come with it yes,I was planning on sticking the alpine trim to the Honda one and filling and painting it so it looks like one piece. B)

Looks nice the way it is, very flush fit and looks almost factory fitted.

I'm in two minds whether to do this as well.

I've got a new Honda HDD touchscreen satnav/bluetooth/I-pod system ready, and I tracked down and bought the double DIN satnav fitting kit from a Honda dealer in Germany.

I just don't know whether I want to alter the car away from it's completely standard form??? On the other hand however, we've fitted another of the Honda HDD systems in to my old mans current model Jazz and it's an awsome bit of kit.

^ Yeh thats the main problem, as you cant reverse back once you modify bits. Will that system even work in such a old car?

It does look well vimto love the double din it beats the single din one where the screen comes up as it blocks the heater controls

Yes it will. It's only like a normal head unit but with an additional GPS receiver