What's new

ATR brakes

TBRH

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord tourer i-ctdi
Hi folks
My 7th gen tourer has the usual soft brake pedal problems ie a lot of travel for not much stopping power. I have read alot about ATR brakes as an upgrade and this might be the answer with some stainless steel brake lines, As once I've got the system apart might as well overhaul it properly.

What I need help with is which year and parts bolts hanger pads and discs etc I would need as I'm not sure if there is a 7th gen ATR?

Cheers

The search bar works fine on here, copied this from one of a few threads.....

ATR CH1 upgrade. Calipers bolt straight on (with carriers). You can probably use your old discs, but you can use ATR discs. These are thicker 300x28mm. Less prone to warping. OEM quality components. Single pot to twin pot

Having Googled the CH1 ATR this seems to be the 6th gen accord?

So to clarify I need 6th gen brakes as there isn't a 7 gen ATR? Only a Euro R

My tourer has no problems with a soft brake pedal. Maybe you have a fault that could be cheaply fixed? Or fit uprated pads (as suggested above) and maybe reinforced hoses (as you mentioned) if you really want to make the pedal slightly harder?

Unless you use the vehicle for track purposes (or often make long journeys up and down mountain passes) there is very little point in upgrading the brakes, as even the stock brakes can readily apply sufficient braking power to either lock the wheels and/or trigger the ABS and - for normal driving conditions, where repeated braking does not result in brake fade - you cannot actually improve upon this situation... the cars stopping ability is determined by the contact and grip given by your tyres and the road surface.

Try renewing the brake fluid? how old is it, there could be water in the reservoir. As Jon says if the system is up to scratch then stopping should not be a problem.

Thank you all for the replies.

ukcl9 thanks for confirming the ATR brakes I would need are off of the 6 gen ATR. Love the look of your brembos, am I right in thinking that they are four pot calipers? Also would they fit inside regular 17in honda rims?

AccordPower I have used EBC pads on previous cars and found they produce a lot more dust than standard pads ( but alot more bite ) small trade off I suppose.
On the Accord at the moment everything is standard honda parts and in very good condition ( pads, calipers and discs ). Whilst running on a full set of Michelins halfway through the rears and new fronts.

Jon I agree with everything you have said but I do feel the accords suffer from soft brakes ie compared to vw brakes which you only need to look at wrong and you can be peeling your face off of the inside of the screen. Having come from a vw I find the honda slightly lacking in comparison.

John as for the brake fluid I can't vouch for that, but I will check with the honda garage as to when they changed it last.

In the past with other cars I have changed discs and pads for a greater feel and bite at the pedal, as apposed to feeling wooden and/or soft. Also I know that changing brake lines from standard rubber to stainless makes a marked improvement, having done this repeatedly over the years with different vehicles. But having read numerous articles on the forum about changing the calipers it seams a common fix. Even more so if am to overhaul the brake system in the next couple of months

kim i agree with you...the stock brakes on the cl9 are not very good...

yes the brembo's are 4 pot....but will they fit behind stock rims.i dont know...but if your interested i can find out..i have stock rims.i can test fit...

i found chaging to braided lines a nice little upgrade.im not saying it made the car stop any quicker.but the brake pedal feels nice and firm all the time

i dont rate ebc stuff.had problems with them on my old cars..disc's cracking

I wasn't impressed with the braking feel on my fr-v i-ctdi. Thought of upgrading the callipers but it seemed too expensive for an old car. Instead, got new pagid discs and yellow stuff pads, the difference is very noticeable. The brake feel is much better and stopping power is amazing.

EBC get a very bad rep on some forums, mostly due to them tinkering with chemical make-up and getting it wrong! But the yellow stuff pads get good reviews.

Not sure how relevant this is to the topic but I run ATR front discs/Calipers & yellow stuff pads on my track DC2. They're amazing on that so I would guess they would work pretty well on the Accords.