Auto gear box probs!

Alex Gibson

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Executive
o4 2.0 vetc auto

Hi,
On my way to work this morning the accord cut out, the speedo stopped working, the engine managment light came on and the little light saying you are in D, P N etc changed from a solid light to a flashing light!

Any thoughts?

It all seems to drive ok and no sounds off it!

Alex

Maybe low transmission fluid? Was ever changed? Can you scan the ecu for errors?

I have read the book and it does says its something wrong with the transmission mechanism but doesn't specifiy exactly what - says go to dealer for more troubleshooting. Anyway it says do not rev it.

Can you keep us updated?

Well the last time I saw it, it was going on the back of a flatbed going of to the garage!

Looking through the internet, it looks like its possibly the speed sensor (hence the speedo not working)
The mechanic that came to collect it said I could be a very poor alternator, but im not to sure of that!!

Alex

Failed speed sensor makes sense actually.

Well its still in the garage!!!!!
It has two censors on the auto g/box One on the input side of the box and one on the out put side.

They think its the one with the speedo incorporated (make sense as the speedo stopped working)
So they picked one up from Honda this morning and waited until 4pm to fit it, only to find out that its the wrong one!!!!
That's five days now!

What is the diagnostic actually showing?

Well £178 later and its back home! :D

It was output speed sensor. One code reader said it was a misfire and the other said it was one of the sensors on the gear box.

But on the way home the gear box has started to whine!!!! :angry:

I have just pulled out the dip stick to find no oil on it!

So what oil? Just std ATF or what? I don't want to pay Honda prices! :ph34r:

Honda ATF3. Nothing else and it's not that pricey

Back home now with 1ltr of ATF from Honda Perth Not a bad price a £13 (inc vat)

Are all Honda parts pretty reasonable priced?

So the next question is, Is there a bolt in the box that should be removed to fill it?

I did notice the tube where the dip stick for the g/box goes is very over sized for the dip stick. Could I fill it via the opening?

Well its now full of ATF (just under the full mark) and the box still has a whine!

So todays question is,

Do I just drive it and hope it will not get any worse or do I get rid asap?

Driving without enough fluid has caused the damage. Up to you now I guess.. Look at the cost of replacing vs selling at a loss