What's new

Aux Input 7th Gen F/L with Navi + 6CD

eddypolak

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Type S 2.0
Hi

I've seen related posts and infact have myself added an aux in facility to my current 7th Gen with 'basic' radio/CD. Now a newer Accord is coming my way (more of that later!). It's 7th Gen facelft with Navi and 6CD changer 'Premium Sound'. I don't see any post relating to that setup. Anyone had experience getting an aux in connection working on such a vehicle or even just getting at the head unit's rear? With the Navi's DVD player I can see it's not going to be so easy.

My preference would be to maintain CD changed function but I think I'd sacrifice that if I had to. Most interesting would be an ipod conection with control via the head until but I'll settle for aux in!

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks!

These two links should help. they are on the forum if you search for the audio / aux info

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/868-diy-removing-navi/page__p__8990__hl__xcarlink__fromsearch__1#entry8990

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/43-diy-review-usb-mp3-aux-input/page__p__223__hl__xcarlink__fromsearch__1#entry223

I appreciate your help but I've seen these postings. They are for a different head unit. I'll post some photos later in the week to make it clearer how mine looks.

the piece of kit most people here seem to use is the xcarlink (if you search that quite a bit comes up) unfortunately I can't find anything about removing the sat nav there used to be on our old sites but not here it appears.

the xcarlink does plug in where the CD changer plugs in which is right in the back of the head unit

AFAIK, there are two connections on the back of the stereo - one for CD changer and one for Navi/Aux. To keep the navi, there is a Y splitter you use so that navi and aux both can be plugged in. I can't remember the name of the connection but if I find it I'll let you know.

Cheers Padraig those postings were helpful - especially the ebay listing. One thing I'm still not sure about is whether my CD changer is 'external' or not. You feed it from the slot in the dash so I'm thinking the whole thing must be integral with the head unit. I'll have to explore myself to be sure I think. The DVD for the Nav is on the other hand clearly separate. For £30 I might just take a punt ***uming I can get access to whatever connectors are present.

Your cd changer is built in. On my 2005 DVD nav there was one free input which the xcarlink went into. No need for y splitter. Top bit of kit and worked flawlessly.

Cheers Paul you've made my day! Now we are on a roll can you advise on how you accessed the head unit connector? I got at the one in my old Accord by quite a bit of dismantling. The DVD is in the way of that approach so I'm hoping (just coz it's an unknown) I won't have to remove that. Any further advice would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help!

that's right your CD changer is internal and you still have the white external CDC port behind your player (the same port you see in the postings).There are other units now namely from DICE who can use your radios RDS to display the nametags on MP3s which maybe another option.

Thanks Alnug. I think I'm nearly there in understanding this! One remaining question is how do you switch to external CD changer (ipod/mp3 really) given there's just one button for CDC on the head unit. I expect the answer is very simple :)

Regarding the uinit that use RDS for text I suppose that implies FM modulation? The abiltiy to control the ipod effectively from the car's controls is very attractive but doesn't FM modualtion result in a poorer sound quality compared to line in?

I have this DICE thing sitting in my office ready to fit... anyone tempted ;) :D

Hey Eddy

The xcarlink doesn't give you names but dies allow you to change songs and playlists using the steering wheel controls.

To fit it you'll need to remove (all from memory). The air vents on the dashboard in the centre. Use something like a fried egg utensil (nice and flat). Under there are three screws that need to cone out.

From there you need to attack the area below the screen. Remove the gearstick trim and ashtray. (clips for gearstick and screws for ashtray). I can remember if you then remove the DVD player next which is held with four nuts. You then need to pull and it's very hard the flap that covers the DVD housing. It is held on very well. (if this goes first then remove the DVD player as above.

If you look upwards ythere are a couple of nuts that then need removing which are at the back of the headunit. Once out put your hand in and grab the back of the headunit and give it a tug towards you. You then need to fit the xcarlink in the spare socket.

Reassembly is just the revesre. The first time I did it it took me about 90mins. By the third time I had it down to 30 mins all done!

Thanks Alnug. I think I'm nearly there in understanding this! One remaining question is how do you switch to external CD changer (ipod/mp3 really) given there's just one button for CDC on the head unit. I expect the answer is very simple :)

Regarding the uinit that use RDS for text I suppose that implies FM modulation? The abiltiy to control the ipod effectively from the car's controls is very attractive but doesn't FM modualtion result in a poorer sound quality compared to line in?

you press the CDC button again to get the external CDC port to work.

The new dice doesn't use FM modulation as such (that implies a wireless device) this thing isn't wireless, it connects directly to the antenna port so you basically have the unit directly connected but you tune into if from an FM frequency and hence can use the radios RDS capability to display song....have a look on their site FM RDS pro

you press the CDC button again to get the external CDC port to work.

The new dice doesn't use FM modulation as such (that implies a wireless device) this thing isn't wireless, it connects directly to the antenna port so you basically have the unit directly connected but you tune into if from an FM frequency and hence can use the radios RDS capability to display song....have a look on their site FM RDS pro

Thanks for the info. I looked further into this. Since the connection is through the aerial socket the Dice unit must be producing an output that is equivalent to FM radio - hence the term FM modualtion used on some vendors web sites. It is an unusual approach and should certainly be better than the cheap units that are wireless FM transmitters but I wonder how it fares for sound quality compared to an actual CD or the line-in via CD changer connector type of system. Has anyone out there tried it? Getting the track info via RDS emulation is very attractive if sound quality is OK.

Hi. Sorry to resurrect this thread.

My car is a 7th Gen 2005 Executive model with the factory fitted DVD Navigation and the Factory fitted 6 CD multichanger (i.e. front loader).
My question is will this aux input fit my car such that I will still be able to use the 6 CD changer (by cycling through the CD/AUX button on stereo) ?

"http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260927789360"

Earlier posts in the thread suggests it will work. But the ebay seller has said that it won't if I have the Navigation unit fitted...........which is strange because the listing suggests it is designed specifically for cars with navigation.

Please help, many thanks.

A very helpful thread given I have just bought a 7th Gen Accord with nav - xcarlink it is then!

Si

Hi. Sorry to resurrect this thread.

My car is a 7th Gen 2005 Executive model with the factory fitted DVD Navigation and the Factory fitted 6 CD multichanger (i.e. front loader).
My question is will this aux input fit my car such that I will still be able to use the 6 CD changer (by cycling through the CD/AUX button on stereo) ?

"http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260927789360"

Earlier posts in the thread suggests it will work. But the ebay seller has said that it won't if I have the Navigation unit fitted...........which is strange because the listing suggests it is designed specifically for cars with navigation.

Please help, many thanks.

Anyone know the answer ? Many thanks.

I have the same set up and yes cd multichanger still works allthough I brought the grom audio instead of xcarlink.There should be a spare white socket on the back of the head unit

Alnug said:
that's right your CD changer is internal and you still have the white external CDC port behind your player (the same port you see in the postings).There are other units now namely from DICE who can use your radios RDS to display the nametags on MP3s which maybe another option.
The same with me. I got the satnav with premium sound and the white plug in the back was not used. So the cd changer is internal? How does it work?

If you press the cd aux button it changes from cd to cdc which is your aux input.The Six changer is internal inside the headunit .

chew said:
If you press the cd aux button it changes from cd to cdc which is your aux input.The Six changer is internal inside the headunit .
And how can you put all those discs inside?