What's new

Awful German car...

It's a little mad isn't it. Quite crafty in some respects, but I wonder if others are at it and haven't yet been caught?

Speaking of awful German cars my 2.5 petrol E60 has decided to throw up FOUR problems in the last few months.

Firstly an electric window motor decided to pack up. £350 to replace covered by warranty :)

Then the boot wiring loom decided to pack up. £500 to replace covered under warranty :)

Theres been some lumpy running from cold. Throttle body cleaned out. £150 and managed to put through warranty. Hasn't cured it properly though.

Plus now a rattly, dry bearingish noise at around 2000rpm. Gonna be taking it to the garage soon. No warranty left mind. Not losing water so don't think its the water pump.

Was expecting a few gremlins and issues to the above doesn't really come as a great surprise. A shame the Germans can't really build 'tanks' anymore, as its still a super comfortable, homely, lovely barge to drive.

Been looking at the latest Lexus GS series. Think it runs from about 2012 on. Providing I can get comfy in there I might go Jap again next time around.

The 460h is a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing but I dont like CVT transmissions, the shape doesnt really do it either for me (not the new ones, which look great!)

Present rattling 'noise' diangosed as a knackered swirl flap. £235 to replace. Not the same issue as the swirl flap eating diesels but sadly the kind of thing that German cars are becoming known for. Shoddy components that should be lasting longer.

Still, I'd have spent more than double that in extra fuel costs had I got a Legend.

Three more things to add to the list for those every so wonderfully engineered Bavarian battleships.

Rocker cover gasket seal needs replacing. Plus two other gaskets. Total cost likely to be near £1000.

Never had anything like that fail on any of my Japanese cars.

Overall though my petrol E60 has been a reliable workhorse and hasn't left me stranded. Just prepare for a few eye watering bills for bits and pieces that you'd forgotten even existed.

Maybe looking at a 2012 on Lexus GS250 next. The fast hybrid model is just a bit too £££ and I don't really do much of a mileage.

Each to their own but for me life's too short for that sort of hassle and expense when it's easily avoided by buying Japanese.

I had a diesel E61 around 5 years ago.

Without the bother of listing all the problems, enough to say I will never own another BMW

I quickly replaced it with an Accord.

Trouble is I'm 6'4, longer bodied and struggle with headroom in a lot of cars. This when in the correct driving position. One thing about the big German cars is that ergonomically they do win hands down.

Sadly we've lost a number of bigger Japanese cars down the years. I did look long and hard for a decent Accord, but I just found the model range a bit illogical (no full leathers or 2.4 in the EX GT for example).

Lexus GS 2012 on (without height lowering sunroof) has promise though.

I’m actually driving an older workhorse these days, a 2009 Skoda Superb that’s been to the moon and back. Honest to god, one of the nicest cars I’ve ever had (and I’ve had some nice brand new cars over the years).

As is always the case, each to their own

Time for divorce.

Warped rocker cover and gasket = £650
New set of Ignition Coils plus plugs plus diagnosis = £500

Still not running smoothly.

NOX sensor the next thing to do = £300

Its been an expensive month.

Hopefully picking up a low miler 2012 GS250 soon

Thanks for the updates. Surprising the list is so long. Roll on electric cars with only 6 moving parts.

You have my sympathy re the BMW, however I find when you research these German cars as if you were looking to own, all you read is faults & issues to avoid. You seldom get that with Japanese cars it seems, or rather it's a list of 3 potential issues with the Honda vs about 25 expensive flaws with the BMW.