What's new

Baby Car Seat Recommendations

nick 9-5

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer LPG
Need a forward facing seat now the little un is a bit bigger. Just been to Halfords to try the Maxi Cosi Axiss which is the one I wanted as it swivels making it easier in and out but it doesn't fit as it had buckle crunch. The lady fitting it reeled of a long list of seats that would also suffer from buckle crunch and not fit either. What seats do you all safely use in your Accord? Is the back seat/seat belt configuration the same in the Tourers and Saloon? I doubt it the way the seats fold flat.

My son has been sat in this for a year without complaint.

looks nice and does what it says on the tin.

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-Us/Travel-and-Pushchairs/Car-Seats-and-Boosters/Group-1/Safe-System-Elite-Car-Seat-in-Orage-%280077687%29

your best bet is to go to toys r us and try a few in you car they will let you do this if your buying from them its worth doing as the one i was going to buy didnt fit properly in the car.

We've had a Graco tri logic car seat on the middle seat in the back of our saloon which did us great all the way up to booster seat which jack is now using. The fact he fell asleep in it just about every time we went out in the car said to us he was comfy. It reclined too which was great for long drives.

What is buckle crunch, I ask as it's an earlier version of the Axxis that I use in the rear of the Tourer!

Regards,
VinnyC

I've had a look at the latest Which magazine tests.

The Maxi Cosi Axiss doesn't do particlularly well. An overall score of 59% and 3 stars out of 5 for both frontal and side impact protection.

I ***ume you're looking for a Group 1 seat (i.e. 9 to 18kg). Various Kiddy seats come out top with scores of 78 to 79% and 4 star frontal and 5 star side impact protection. The models are Energy Pro, Infinity Pro and Guardian Pro 2. Prices £119 to £225. The Guardian Pro 2 is a group 1/2/3 seat, i.e. 9kg to 36kg.

Next, the Maxi Cosi Priorifix, score 75%, 4 star frontal and 5 star side impact. Cost £170. Unlike the Kiddy seats which are belt-fixing only this one gives the options of either belt-fix or isofix.

At number 5 the Maxi Cosi Pearl with Familifix base. 74%, 3 star frontal and 4 star side impact. Cost £284, isofix only fitting.

There are loads more, so if you want to the results for any particular seat please let me know - I can't put up the entire report as I'd be breaching copyright.

Alan

What is buckle crunch, I ask as it's an earlier version of the Axxis that I use in the rear of the Tourer!

Regards,
VinnyC

Its when the plastic of the belt buckle is touching plastic on the car seat. This is a big no-no as it means in a crash the plastic on plastic would snap meaning the seat belt wouldn't be working at all.

I've had a look at the latest Which magazine tests.

The Maxi Cosi Axiss doesn't do particlularly well. An overall score of 59% and 3 stars out of 5 for both frontal and side impact protection.

I ***ume you're looking for a Group 1 seat (i.e. 9 to 18kg). Various Kiddy seats come out top with scores of 78 to 79% and 4 star frontal and 5 star side impact protection. The models are Energy Pro, Infinity Pro and Guardian Pro 2. Prices £119 to £225. The Guardian Pro 2 is a group 1/2/3 seat, i.e. 9kg to 36kg.

Next, the Maxi Cosi Priorifix, score 75%, 4 star frontal and 5 star side impact. Cost £170. Unlike the Kiddy seats which are belt-fixing only this one gives the options of either belt-fix or isofix.

At number 5 the Maxi Cosi Pearl with Familifix base. 74%, 3 star frontal and 4 star side impact. Cost £284, isofix only fitting.

There are loads more, so if you want to the results for any particular seat please let me know - I can't put up the entire report as I'd be breaching copyright.

Alan

Thanks very much. WIll let you know.

Try and get the Maxi Cosi Tobi, I used that on previous cars that suffered buckle crunch. See below for more info:

Oh yes, I really like the Maxi-Cosi Tobi Child Seat (9-18kg, 20-40lbs), forward facing. It's so full of inovative ideas that make you think "why didn't they do that earlier?"

The Tobi uses a unique seat-belt routing system that almost completely eliminates buckle crunch & also ensures the fit is very snug to your car indeed - the seat-belt tensioners "suck" the seat back into the car - very clever.

The best thing about the Tobi is that it is designed to be used single-handedly. The belts are sprung loaded so they jump out of the way when you're putting baby in or out. The belts also automatically slacken when you undo the buckle and can be tightened (with one hand) when the buckle is done up again. (No pressing a release button).

There is a handy indicator on the buckle that turns green when the harness is at the right tightness, and goes red if it becomes too loose. (ie if baby is wriggling too much.)

The harness and head-rest height can be adjusted with one hand without having to re-thread the belts through the back of the seat.

Need I go on? If you want the best, non-isofix baby seat for your child you can't do much better than a Maxi-Cosi Tobi, and please choose one of the bright colours!

Nick. how old is your little un ? I presume that since the car seat (Maxi Cosi Axiss) is a group 1 seat he is 9+ months?

One thing that you might want to do before you buy your seat, do some research in to extended rear facing seats. they are much safer than front facing seats. the UK are really far behind in child car seat safety.

we have the Besafe Izi combi X3 car seat http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=besafe+izi+x3&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=352l2968l1l3307l6l3l3l0l1l1l1693l3267l8-2l5l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1347&bih=633&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6072989820534800025&sa=X&ei=xI5KT7DyD4m28QOP5IG1Dg&ved=0CGsQ8wIwAw

it fits well in to the rear of the accord and oru daughter deffinately likes the seat (she falls asleep in it alot!)

The besafe x3 is the safest car seat on the market and i dont regret buying it knowing my kiddy is as safe as she could possibly be.

Graco Nautilus is outs I think and is excellent. I'm fact I need to move the straps now the dude has grown. Have to crunch him in now if he has his coat on :lol:

I use a Maxi Cosi Priorifix (Linky). It's a seriously substantial piece of kit. The boy always seems well secured, very comfy, he has no problem sleeping in it that's for sure. From a driving point of view it's easy to reach back and adjust the angle of the recline or pull the straps tight etc. Removable cover for cleaning, easy to adjust the straps and so on. Can't really fault the chair.

What I will say for it though, is it's quite tall. I mean it has a huge, chunky base, safe as it is, means he's seated quite high up in relation to his surroundings. This is primarily an issue with the 7th Gen, not the car seat itself. My son is almost 30 months old now and getting fairly tall, it's therefore quite an art-form getting him into the car. It's pretty tight fitting him through the doorway over the armrest of the child seat. Then there's a sort of lift and twist motion before putting him down into the chair. 50% of the time I'll gently knock his head on the ceiling of the car :lol: . It's not as bad as it sounds, but it's certainly not ideal. The Mrs has almost resigned herself to not doing it and I always have to put him in the car <_< . Although that's also as she can't do the straps and buckle. None of which is difficult, more like she is if you know what I mean ;) .

Also, this height means the seat is fairly high in relation to the armrest. I like to leave the armrest folded down for drinks bottles and putting toys on etc. For a long time he was really struggling to reach the things in the drinks holder of the arm rest. If the seat was a little lower, I'm sure he would have been able to start using this earlier. Not really an issue now, but maybe worth mentioning.

Also, be prepared for muddy footprints up the back of the chair the child seat is behind. The size of the rear cabin is such that even with the front chair fairly forward, you're going to end up with shoes kicking the back of the chair in front. I'm thankful I have full leather (wipe clean ;) ) and look forward to the day he's down to just the booster seat (mind you I'm sure then he'll find something else to damage then).

Anyway, when I had an 8th Gen courtesy car last week, I was blown away at how much easier it was to get the seat and him in. The seats were lower in relation to the door (which also felt bigger) and the whole thing was just smoother. It's like the angles of the chairs and things better suited the implementation of a child seat.

Before you buy, if you can, try some chairs in your car. I simply tried the boy in some chairs, but he'll be happy in most chairs. As long as it's well padded with decent head supports, you can't really go wrong. Getting one that's right for the rigours of parenting is another matter. I bought an expensive one as I figured it would be a sound investment that would likely see me through more than one child. And it will, but I never tried it in the car first, more fool me. I imagine the Accord would be plenty big enough to accommodate any child seat. I wonder if perhaps a more compact option would have been a better idea. But that's life really. I would recommend the chair, but suggest you try one for yourself in your Accord to see what you think about the size and space, and remember, kids grow ****** fast man :eek: .

:)

I've got a 7th Gen Tourer. We have three kids of various ages. The oldest no longer needs a car seat so sits in the middle. The younger two required car seats and the only one's we could get that fitted the three children in was the Maxi Cosi Axiss. The buckle crunch thing had me worried for a bit but reading up about the definition can be a little vague. Interesting reading here http://www.carseatinfo.co.uk/index.cfm?sid=19086&pid=292393

I can take a photo of it installed if you want but to my mind there is no car seat that would fit in where the buckle wouldn't be against the side of the car seat. Now if it was across the car seat then that's a completely different kettle of fish.

I can take a photo of it installed if you want but to my mind there is no car seat that would fit in where the buckle wouldn't be against the side of the car seat.

FWIW - I've three little ones, and I just use an ISOFix model for the Group 2 car seat (from Honda). No, belts to worry about. The other two are simply in small boosters that take the seat belt up to their collar-bone.