What's new

Basic CDTI De-badge mod

Tiberious SG

Members
Reaction score
Car
04 Reg CDTI 2.2
Thanks to all the forum members who gave details previously of this mod, mine is the same but with some added pics so that DIY newbies (like Myself feel) more confident at having a go

I've been meaning to do this for a while as a I prefer the cleaner look which is now standard on most cars or a dealer upgrade option.

You will need:

A hairdryer
Dental Floss
Tar remover AG / Goo gone or some other cleaner
some polishing clothes
a bit of time and patience
and some polish for finishing

photo1.jpg

You cannot really see it but the plasti-chrome on the C is flaking slightly at the edge, plus its also a pain when detailing so decided to have a go.

photo8.jpg

Start by warming the first letter using the hairdryer, you don't need the highest setting or to hold the hairdryer flush as its just enough heat to melt the adhesive, not to damage your paint.

Once you have warmed the letter for about a minute or just over use a good slice of dental floss to pull gently in a sliding motion across the back of the letter (not towards you but towards the next letter (we don't want to pull at the oh so strong paint).

This should cut through the adhesive and you can gently pull the letter off.

photo7.jpg

Remember to take your time one letter at a time and if its proving difficult apply some more heat.

Once you have removed each of the letters apply the tar remover / cleanser and gently work the adhesive off in a gentle rubbing motion until there is no evidence it was ever there.

To finish you a good polish (i prefer super resin from AG) to work the area lightly as this paint has been protected behing the badge so a bit of polishing levels the area.

photo6.jpg

I then decided that I wanted to remove the Accord Badge as well as the Honda H is enough for my personal taste, plus I prefer a cleaner look.

This took a little more heat as the Accord Badge has more adhesive inside it as you can see below:

photo5.jpg

Now the removal of the glue from the paintwork took a lot longer than the i-CDTI job as the glue was thicker and the dirt that had collected in the groves seemed to make it tougher I used a silicone cake spatula to gently remove some of the thicker glue after softening with the tar remover.

However after half an hour of cleaing I still had not shifted the remanents using the poliching cloth or microfibre.

So I very gently (hold breath, used a 5p sponge scouring pad from Tesco) at this point I was aware of the risk of scratching the paint so was very careful to just loosen the remaining debris.

as soon as this was done I cleaned the surface and gave it a good polish and buff, here are the results and the whole job took about an hour (plus brew break)

photo4.jpg

photo9.jpg

THE FOLLOWERS WILL STILL KNOW IT'S A DIESEL, WHEN YOU PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN!! LOL

keyword is "FOLLOWERS" Lol, although I do think that unless you have a genuine badge such as "R", "M", "GTR" "S-type" etc etc, who really cares what trim level or engine you have.

Plus I've seen all manor of lesser weasels pretending to be all sorts of petrols over the years (anonymity is one thing but not impersonation).

I prefer them to have to guess what just passed them. after all that's how the i-CDTI first got my attention a few years back when I was driving a 2l petrol. :D

Why pretend - our 2.2 lumps can embarrass all the pretenders in our price bracket - petrol or otherwise given a little TLC from Faddy and the like.

A well maintained diesel is nothing to be ashamed about. At the Ace Cafe meet, I am sure I could have put to shame a lot of the ground scraping cohorts that rocked up if it really came down to it. But that isn't the point.

I grant you though - the stock noise is not the best - unless your name is Suffian :D. V8 weasel power FTW!

Still, a little de-clutter of the back end is not a bad thing. the Accord's back end is a little busy.

I grant you though - the stock noise is not the best - unless your name is Suffian :D. V8 weasel power FTW!

Still, a little de-clutter of the back end is not a bad thing. the Accord's back end is a little busy.

Ah to move up from 4 cylinders to the hallowed Lumps, where I work there is an Audi A5 3.0 TDI V6, a BMW 535d v6, & a Jag XF Diesel S V6.

I Wish Honda had not abandoned R&D in weasel in favour of full commitment to hybrids as I would have loved to see larger weasel engined Accords in the future.

Ah to move up from 4 cylinders to the hallowed Lumps, where I work there is an Audi A5 3.0 TDI V6, a BMW 535d v6, & a Jag XF Diesel S V6.

I Wish Honda had not abandoned R&D in weasel in favour of full commitment to hybrids as I would have loved to see larger weasel engined Accords in the future.

Nice mod :D .. I had removed both badges on the back until I had this made up :D
DSC05774.jpg

Yes I spent a bit of time admiring your handy-work previously mate (love your work),

later down the road I may follow your example with the remaining chrome badges and trims, as I really don't like the chrome on the Accords.

It's the first mod I do to every car I have to be honest, did it the same evening my Beemer rolled off the delivery truck :p

Yes I spent a bit of time admiring your handy-work previously mate (love your work),

later down the road I may follow your example with the remaining chrome badges and trims, as I really don't like the chrome on the Accords.

Its not my handy work ;) its Steve's work. he makes them and the quality is fab!

Only issue now is that i want to get rid of the chrome trim around the front grill and around the windows!

I'm scared to de-badge mine, I know I'll end up with a giant scratch in the paint.

looking good bud,there is someone interested in buying the i-ctdi badge in the wanted section if you havent thrown it away yet :)

Why pretend - our 2.2 lumps can embarrass all the pretenders in our price bracket - petrol or otherwise given a little TLC from Faddy and the like.

A well maintained diesel is nothing to be ashamed about. At the Ace Cafe meet, I am sure I could have put to shame a lot of the ground scraping cohorts that rocked up if it really came down to it. But that isn't the point.

:lol: im glad you like the v8 rumble buddy :D gets allot of people confused :D

Yeah? We'll have to plan another time for me to come down.