What's new

Battery drain traced to the tail lift ECU -help!

conkers

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord 2.2cdti
Hi folks
My missis accord (o4) tourer sport has had a battery drain for some, flat in 3 days (roughly 200ma). I have traced the problem to fuse 5 by the drivers feet. It controls central locking etc and the remote opening boot. I have removed the fuse but cant then lock it or open the boot so put it back in. I then unplugged the ecu for the remote boot opener and the drain disappeared but i cant open the boot.

I can replace the ecu however its another 50-100 quid on a vehicle which has been a bit of a nightmare for her and she wants to sell it (clutch system replaced/DMF/driveshafts etc) and so i wondered if this was common and if you can bypass it so at least the boot can be opened manually.

thanks folks!

Are you checked handle on the drivers side.Its opening fuel tank and anothe way boot.

Tomas44 said:
Are you checked handle on the drivers side.Its opening fuel tank and anothe way boot.
I think that's only on the saloon Tomas, the fuel flap release on the Tourer has nothing to do with the tailgate, and there isn't a release for the tailgate inside the car (well not on my pre-facelift Tourer)

edit: well there is a release, but it's an "emergency release" inside the tailgate, accessible by climbing over the seats

conkers said:
Hi folks
My missis accord (o4) tourer sport has had a battery drain for some, flat in 3 days (roughly 200ma). I have traced the problem to fuse 5 by the drivers feet. It controls central locking etc and the remote opening boot. I have removed the fuse but cant then lock it or open the boot so put it back in. I then unplugged the ecu for the remote boot opener and the drain disappeared but i cant open the boot.

I can replace the ecu however its another 50-100 quid on a vehicle which has been a bit of a nightmare for her and she wants to sell it (clutch system replaced/DMF/driveshafts etc) and so i wondered if this was common and if you can bypass it so at least the boot can be opened manually.

thanks folks!
the power drain could be due to a problem on anything else ***ociated with the tailgate causing the ECU to be doing something (sensors, lock mechanism)

have you checked for any codes on the OBD port ?

Thanks for the advice folks. I know when I disconnect the output it makes no difference but when I disconnect the input and output the drain stops so I am sure it's the ecu. There is a way of manually opening the boot....if I climb into it from the rear seats. I think I need to bite the bullet and get another ecu.

Thanks again!

well yes you are probably correct, but there could be some other reason why the ECU is draining current apart from it being faulty

there could be error codes from the ECU, readable from the OBD port

Hi is the o b d the standard diagnostic port by the drivers knee? I have cleared all fault codes .... I think! I used an acutel unit.... Would that pick it up?

conkers said:
Hi is the o b d the standard diagnostic port by the drivers knee? I have cleared all fault codes .... I think! I used an acutel unit.... Would that pick it up?
yes that's the one, but I'm not sure if an Acutel will read the tailgate ECU codes.
7th gen pre-facelift (like my car) doesn't have CANbus, but 7th gen facelift does have CANbus. A reader that requires CANbus cannot read anything on the pre-facelift other than the main engine ECU.

I bought a clone of the Honda HDS kit on ebay, they can be bought on ebay for £75 to £120. This will read the tailgate ECU, but not worth buying one just for that I guess ...Oundle is Northants, next county down from me, but I won't have my HDS back until last week of January. AFAIK, the HDS can also be used to test the tailgate system (but I can't confirm that until I get it back)

freddofrog said:
I bought a clone of the Honda HDS kit on ebay, they can be bought on ebay for £75 to £120. This will read the tailgate ECU, but not worth buying one just for that I guess ...Oundle is Northants, next county down from me, but I won't have my HDS back until last week of January. AFAIK, the HDS can also be used to test the tailgate system (but I can't confirm that until I get it back)
I checked my HDS on my car today, and yes it will check for any tailgate DTC's.

It will also read and display the operational state of all sensors and motors on the tailgate, and it will also open and close the latch, and open and close the tailgate itself.

freddofrog said:
I checked my HDS on my car today, and yes it will check for any tailgate DTC's.

It will also read and display the operational state of all sensors and motors on the tailgate, and it will also open and close the latch, and open and close the tailgate itself.
Hi, is it any chance I could borrow this HDS from you as I have the tailgate problem, I need to disconnect my battery for few mins then reconnect then tailgate back to normal.

Many thanks

It's a Chinese clone, I got it on ebay, they sell buy-it-now for between £70 and £120 (I don't know what the difference is for the price)

The HDS uses RS232 to connect to the PC/laptop, and that requires an RS232-to-USB converter lead (I got a Chinese one on ebay for £3).

But here is the issue .....it takes a lot of messing about to get the lead to work, you need to know how to set up RS232 COM Ports as the HDS seems to be hard-coded to one particular setting (no way to change that setting from within the HDS software, so you have to get it right in the PC/laptop).

For that reason, it isn't easy to get working. I lent it to Jon (Jon_G) when he was over in Leicestershire recently and got it back at the Cosford meet ....but he couldn't get it to work LOL

You can find out what the problem is without an HDS (though the HDS does make it easy), see these threads
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/19067-pesky-tourer-tailgate/
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/13156-another-tailgate-problem-tourer/

Ahem - I didn't fail to get your HDS working, I just didn't get round to actually using it!

If I'd needed to get it working then I doubt I would have struggled, as I still have available the USB-to-RS232 converter that I originally had to lend you so you could get it all connected up. You cheeky git!

Apologies for derailment of this thread.

Jon_G said:
Ahem - I didn't fail to get your HDS working, I just didn't get round to actually using it!

If I'd needed to get it working then I doubt I would have struggled, as I still have available the USB-to-RS232 converter that I originally had to lend you so you could get it all connected up. You cheeky git!

Apologies for derailment of this thread.
No, if you remember, I had it working on a mains-powered PC that had built-in RS232 on the motherboard, and had (by trial-and-error in the BIOS on that PC) already worked out the correct RS232 COM settings.

But using an HDS with a mains-powered PC is very cumbersome, so I had bought an RS232-PCMCIA card, and, an RS232-to-USB lead, to get the HDS working on my laptop.

I couldn't get the PCMCIA card to work with the HDS because the COM settings were hard-coded and could not be changed. When you turned up with your RS232-to-USB lead, we used your lead to get the HDS working on my laptop because your RS232-to-USB lead had a good driver disc with it. When you had gone, I contacted the Chinese seller of my lead (because their tiny driver disc had hundreds of drivers, many of which were in Chinese) and they gave me links on the internet to some other drivers which I downloaded. When I got my lead working with those drivers, I posted your lead back to you. I also returned the PCMCIA card and got my money back on that.

So no, you didn't have to lend me your lead so that I could get it all connected, it was already working on a PC, and I was in the process of getting it to work on my laptop. Sounding a bit "clerical" here (capital E in that 8-letter word LOL), I suspect that you never got round to using my HDS because you were daunted at the prospect of installing the HDS software (not an obvious process) and then set up the RS232 lead (requires knowledge of COM port settings) :lol:

I'd gladly argue with you some more, but I'm scared you'll start generating memes about me.

I replied to your email.

Jon_G said:
I'd gladly argue with you some more, but I'm scared you'll start generating memes about me.
:lol:

like this maybe

o29r0y.jpg