What's new

Battery light and slow wipers

brunlea

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord cdti
Hi all,

I've got a 2005 Honda Accord Diesel and got a slight issue with it.

When I have the wipers running, they are slower than normal when operating.

The problem started about a month or two ago and slowly the fault has progressed. Initially the wipers would be slow but after about 10 minutes of driving they would start working normally (i.e. at normal speed). I thought it could be the battery so got it replaced, however the fault remained. The new battery has been in the car for about a month or so.

The wipers seem to remain slower for a longer time now. They only got back up to speed after about an hour of driving. During the drive (about 20 minutes into the 1 hour journey) the battery light came on for about 5 seconds then went away, so i'm not sure if this is a battery issue?

All other electrics seem to be working fine......one other thing maybe worth mentioning is that the car makes a slight squeaking sound when it is started in the morning (i.e. when not warm) which goes away after around 10 mins.

Any ideas what the issue could be related to?

Thanks

It was raining (torrential) here today and I had the wipers on auto. I could feel the termination of the wiper stroke in the brake pedal. So the wiper ***embly puts a jolt through the firewall, which also means that there is a fair bit of force involved.

I am speculating that with motion like that, the ***embly could do with occasional re-greasing.

The squeaking noise when you start could be a loose belt on the alternator or a faulty alternator. So possibly your battery isn't getting charged.

Just to add, the electric windows are also slow too.......how do I check that the alternator is ok?

What is the mounting route of the auxiliary belt? Originally there was an additional pulley next to the alternator, this was deleted later and a shorter belt was fitted which puts less strain on the alternator bearings.
If yours has an original belt run it may have damaged your alternator/bearings.

The original pulley mounting hole for the long belt can be seen at 11 O'Clock from the alternator
2010-07-11_204452_2.2_cdti_belt.jpg

Firstly did you replace battery without testing?
Secondly check alternator and report back
Look for around 12v when switched off and 14v when engine running

sent using tapatalk

Yes..i replaced the battery without testing. It was more than 4 years old so thought it would need replacing anyway.

I checked the battery with a multimeter and it was around 12.6 when off and about 13.7 when on ......with lights etc all on it was still around 13.6ish.

As a bonus just spotted a load of smoke coming out the back of the engine....i'm guessing the exhaust manifold has a crack in it now.....fantastic!

Also when i was testing it, there was no squeaking noise.....prob will test it again on the weekend with the noise there.

I noticed that when starting the car after finishing work (8 hours standing) when i turned the car on I operated the windows and the wipers and both were ok. But the squeaking noise then started after about a minute at which point i testes the windows and wipers again and this time they were pretty slow again......

Alos it looks like i've got the old long belt routing from what I could make out in the dark!

Get your alternator tested you should have around 14v my suspicion is weak alternator, exhaust smoke is you car petrol or diesel also colour of smoke?

sent using tapatalk

Car is a diesel, and the smoke looks white. I've booked it in with a honda dealer and they want £60 just to check it and diagnose it. Seems like the manifold issue to me though.

Will see if I can get alternator tested tomorrow.