What's new

Belt tensioner issue 2.2 cdti

Rustyrescue

Reaction score
Car
Accord
my aircon pump packed up so it has been swapped over, however the heavy handed have been at things before me and the very poor bolt on the tensioner is pretty chewed so it is hard to heave enough to slacken off. I managed to do it enough to pop the belt off but no way to put a new tighter belt on after the pump switch.
I can with a block of wood push the tensioner much further..........is there a lock device as on many other models to lock it in the pulled back position? I cant see one, but it would allow me to lock ot back then slip the belt over.

I would try banging a socket or ring spanner on to the pully bolt. To undo the bolt and replace it with a new one.
PS I made my own tension tool by welding the end of a ring spanner on to a length of bar.

Last edited:
it is a stupid design...no room for sockets and the head is almost recessed into the pulley so normal belt tension tool sets do not do it either! I to was think9ng it is time to make a tool for it!!

Use a Long swan neck 14mm? Doesn't have to be swan neck but as long as possible. If it's rounded off I reckon can still push it with a bit of thought and a long bar possibly.

I have just taken the tensioner off, so have removed the bolt...cleaned it up and reshaped and it grips well now. An old 14mm socket socket ground down short so the bolt head just sits in it fits to a long flat bar with 3/8 socket drive I have for fiddly pains! it works in the bench vice nicely so hopefully it will be back together later today with replaced aircon pump and new belt etc. The air con compressor is interesting......the internals do not move..something sheared inside!