What's new

Best springs for 19 inch amgs

hazley

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
Quick post as the ***le says,My car failed mot because of all around cut springs from the last owner.Lookin spring that can keep the height as in my pictures,If possible cheers.

IMG_20120623_202127.jpg

IMG_20120706_191708.jpg

[/quote]

Gotta say I had to have a chuckle at the fact your wanting to change the suspension just because your MOT man didnt like you running on choppies. I would have thought you'd have noticed your car handling *****, bouncing and crashing over bumps in the road?!!!! lollz

anyway Ive just fitted BC coilovers (dc performance) on mine and it is 1" above the tyre and theres 3"-4" left on the shock body. I'd prolly be able to drop it a couple of inch lower than your car is now easily. so you ask how low does it go? as low as you dare pretty much.

but if your into all that ultra low malarky then id suggest an airbag system. but your looking a couple of grand there easily.

I was going ask what size tyres are you running?

As far as I know the Eibach 55mm springs will give you that much of a drop! I've got 35 mm springs and I can just fit my finger between the tyre and arch. Seen a couple of Accords here in Ireland and I know they're not on coilovers but still look that low!

Coilovers are far too expensive for a car like the Accord, it'd be a shame to compromise the ride quality along with paying for overpriced shocks and springs. Eibach for the win! :)

Loving the bottle of Buckfast on the spoiler too! ;)

Disagree.

There is no comparison to running well adjusted fully sorted suspension. Coilovers don't ruin comfort if you know what your doing. Suspension springs n shocks cost more than coilovers.

The original poster wants to slammmmm his car and if he's wants to drive a car safely then there is no choice but coilovers.

If your happy with the ride why not get some standard/cheap springs for MOT then swap after?

Looks cool motor bud B)

If you are sitting on the bumpstops no coilover will retain ride comfort. Running low is a choice, the negative is the ride and practicality. You cant have both.

If you want ride comfort then why would uprate the suspension to a stiffer setup, thats not the purpose of upgraded suspension. OEM make good suspension for comfort so just stick with that.

The lower you are the equal increase in stiffness you need to go to allow the dampers to aborb whatever bump/loading is required.

On the flip side, Coilovers are the best option for outright handling/safety and stance. A soft set of coilovers wont work low, so youll need stiff ones if you are low.

Why do people think coilovers are the nuts of suspension.
If you wanting to go stupid low then a custom set of shocks and springs will opperate much better than a set of coilovers.

If you get coilovers and want to maintain some comfort / usability then you need to get expensive coilovers that offer both bump and rebound settings as well as correctly matched springs.

So many people don't understand that a decent shock / spring combo will always be better than all coilovers.

Coilovers are really only better if you want to always alter your ride height.... which 99% of coilover owners don't do once they are fitter and the 'stance' found.

Bc Coilovers cost 540 quid or there about.
Eibach springs and koni shocks are a bit more.

You don't lower the spring seat on these coilovers cos you actually adjust the height of the shock body mount. (seperate collar)

Therefore you don't "ride the bumpstops" and lose any comfort even if you lower the car by 80mm (which you can easily).

Coilovers will *always* out perform springs and shocks. because you can tune them to your cars weight / driving style / power / braking and you have the added bonus of raising or lowering your car and adjusting firmness if you are going for a road trip / change rims etc..

"Coilovers" that are non adjustable (that people with vws tend to use) are not really Coilovers.

Bc Coilovers cost 540 quid or there about.
Eibach springs and koni shocks are a bit more.

You don't lower the spring seat on these coilovers cos you actually adjust the height of the shock body mount. (seperate collar)

Therefore you don't "ride the bumpstops" and lose any comfort even if you lower the car by 80mm (which you can easily).

Coilovers will *always* out perform springs and shocks. because you can tune them to your cars weight / driving style / power / braking and you have the added bonus of raising or lowering your car and adjusting firmness if you are going for a road trip / change rims etc..

"Coilovers" that are non adjustable (that people with vws tend to use) are not really Coilovers.

Sorry but unless you buy coilovers that are serious money then they just won't beat a properly set up springs and shocks setup.

You state that you can 'tune' coilovers to your cars weight, driving style etc ...

Well to tune coilovers to your cars weight ... I think you will find that is actually done by the spring poundage NOT the coilover itself.
How can you adjust coilovers to your driving style exactly?

I have been in a few cars with an electronic controller in them to change the rebound and damper and that's really the only coilovers that could out perform springs and shocks.

Please do tell me of owners who have coilovers are really change their ride height..
I'm not wanting to argue but as I said before 99% of coilover owners just slap them on the car 'deck it' and leave it there.
Most don't even bother corner weighting and some don't even think they need a full geo after either!

Also to go low you really need things like:
Adjustable caster
Adjustable camber arms
Anti bumpsteer kits
Roll center adjuster
And more!
But again.. most don't bother.. they just 'notch' the chassis so their drive shafts don't hit.

A Coilover can be tuned for the car? You buy them with the spring rate you want. Which you decide depending on how you will use your car.

I own a classic e21 its been beefed up with a powerful engine. I had to pay about a grand for its suspension because It had to be custom made.

I specified the valving and then spring rate I wanted (I actually have three sets of springs).. They are made by GAZ.

Bear in mind I'm using accord as a daily. I might not change the height as often but at least I can if I wanted to and you sure as well can't do that with springs and shocks.

Btw if you think 30mm eibachs on original shocks is what a decent suspension is then you are wrong.

I priced koni kit and a eibach / bilstien kit and the h n r kit all cost MORE or near enough the same as the adjustable Coilovers..

So tell me what suspension are you talking about?

Here's the kit I use on my accord.

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/bc-racing-br-series-coilovers/honda/accord.html

Btw if you think 30mm eibachs on original shocks is what a decent suspension is then you are wrong.

I priced koni kit and a eibach / bilstien kit and the h n r kit all cost MORE or near enough the same as the adjustable Coilovers..

So tell me what suspension are you talking about?

I priced all those myself when I was doing my own, but in all honesty the Eibach springs and standard shocks give the best compromise of ride quality, looks and performance without being too harsh. The Accord is a very comfortable car, one of the best when it comes to engine refinement and driver/passenger comfort so why ruin it by dropping it to the ground?

The majority of the users on here use this setup, can we all be wrong?

What drop are you currently running?

I don't know exactly what the drop is but I could get a fist in there and then now I get 2 fingers. But that's on the 17s. I need 19s to go lower.

The coilovers are comfort than you think mate. They are valved for fast road then valved for race. Your more than welcome to try it out if you want. My Accord is still comfy and smooth. It certainly doesnt crash over bumps or vibrate.. ill be lowering it about the same height as the OP'S white car above.

I've ran same setup (eibachs and standard shocks) on one of my previous cars and I know what you mean. I did find it a little bit bouncy and it was still 20mm too high. But I was jobless back then so...

Btw I'm the 1% who is changing height all the time... I even change the height on my e21, When I go to a show I pull over a few miles before I get there and lower my car till the tyres are tucked right in.

Cheers all for the info,Tell me this please is and 2004,05,06 honda accord all got the same standard springs and shocks?

unbelievable jeff....

(at the op)

that is ridiculously low, id love to see the hunter result of the accord.

as for coilovers, much better than standard dampers and springs, I have BCs fitted and the difference is very noticable, you have more control on not only the height but camber and damper settings also.

cant really argue.

This has been a very interesting discussion indeed. The different views and opinions expressed will no doubt be helpful especially to first time moding like I'm sure most of us here once were. I think nas80's point here is about value for money and getting it right first time, rather than that coilovers are better than springs/shocks. Yes some including myself have gone for lowering springs on std shocks, only to then upgrade the springs or get coilovers. All this equates to time and more money down the drain. There's no doubt that the mentioned coilovers are cheaper and also have a lower height. But it must also be appreciated that not everyone wants a firm ride & slammed look. I am more than satisfied with a 35mm drop on Eibachs/Koni Sports adjustable shocks. These shocks can be easily adjusted to suit (firm/soft), and I think they are great. Im curious to see how these fare in comparison with coilovers in terms of ride quality and comfort as i haven't been lucky enough to ride in an Accord on coilovers. However in hindsight, if at the time I had found coilovers cheaper, that is the route I'm sure to have taken.

Interesting thread indeed..

I've never had experience of coilovers but I do have a set of H&R springs with Koni Sports on my 10 year old Toledo - The Mr's i-CTDI Sport is still standard.

The Toledo is fine for the driver but it can be a bit bumpy for passengers - Mrs like driving it but hates being a passenger

The Accord on the other hand is comfortable but not sure what it would be like modified

If anyone in Leeds wants a drive then I don't mind taking them out as long as I'm not busy.

These bc coil overs are valved for the street so are on the comfy end of the scale.

IMG_20121005_173652.jpg

IMG_20121005_173712.jpg

Update i got 35-40mm apex for the mo to pass MOT,This is the out come pictures from my first post on till in get the bc coilover pro kit :)

Why bother with coilovers. What you have there looks great. Get some up rated shocks and you will have a decent suspension setup.

Comparing photos.. before to now... the stance now is much better!

Needs another 2" off the height tbh.. Good choice buying cooler. Get the adjustable camber arms too you will need them..

Whats the size of your tyres? Do your wheels scrub at all?

Needs another 2" off the height tbh.. Good choice buying cooler. Get the adjustable camber arms too you will need them..

Whats the size of your tyres? Do your wheels scrub at all?
Wheels are 19inch no rubbin at all

Why bother with coilovers. What you have there looks great. Get some up rated shocks and you will have a decent suspension setup.

Comparing photos.. before to now... the stance now is much better!
Think thats the plan lad,springs will drop abit when they inbed abit more.

That's a nice drop on the Apex. I've been considering the Apex myself as I fancy a slightly sportier ride, but won't go coil overs on account of price and ride. Will be interested to know how these pan out over the coming weeks until you upgrade to full coil overs.