What's new

BG244 cleaning EGR Valve

dl0205

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CTDI
Even though this topic is about BG244 and it's ability to clean the EGR Valve, I'll give a quick bit of background as to how I came to my conclusion.

Shortly after purchasing the car I kept getting an intermittent engine management light every now and again but with no performance lost. I eventually invested in an OBDII reader and stored on the ECU was a P2004 Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open Code which I cleared. So with that info in mind I decided to give the IMRC Valve a clean (which was actually pretty clean as it turned out) and whilst I was at it I thought I would clean out the EGR Valve as well. This is where I came to the conclusion that the BG244 hadn't cleaned the EGR Valve as the manufacture may claim (or at least the pipework).

I had used a can of BG244 in a tank of fuel approximately 1500 miles ago and have filled up 3 times since but on inspecting the EGR Valve today the pipework had about the same amount of soot and sludge in it as some of the other guys on here. Having cleaned this all out and put all back together, I then took it for a quick spin round the block and would say the car felt slightly more responsive throughout the rev range but especially at lower revs on partial throttle.

My findings aren't definitive as I had not inspected the EGR Valve before using the BG244, so do not know how much gunk was in the pipework to start with. But I did not have any problems with performance and only cleaned the EGR as I was cleaning the IMRC Valve. If there had been more gunk in there surely I would have been made aware of this by way of error codes or performance?

Anyway that's it just thought I'd share this if anyone is interested.

BG244 has some benefits but it will never 'clean' your EGR valve mate. And anyway, even if it did.. no sooner was it cleaned, it will be covered in crud again.

The only way to eliminate it is to have it mapped out permanently through our EGR OFF mod with a remap. We permanently keep it closed and erase any ***ociated errors for the EGR loop to ensure the gasses go straight out the back, and not back through the engine!

Sounds like you may have issues with the IMRC solenoid, which tends to throw up the P2004 code

There is a known intermittent fault, which has been fixed in a revised solenoid.

BG244 has some benefits but it will never 'clean' your EGR valve mate. And anyway, even if it did.. no sooner was it cleaned, it will be covered in crud again.

The only way to eliminate it is to have it mapped out permanently through our EGR OFF mod with a remap. We permanently keep it closed and erase any ***ociated errors for the EGR loop to ensure the gasses go straight out the back, and not back through the engine!
I wasn't expecting the BG244 to do anything really it just seems like a bit of a false claim by the manufacturer. Not sure if I would re-map the system and in any case I'm not in your neck of the woods! Plus you'll be to busy re-mapping your new 5 series!

Sounds like you may have issues with the IMRC solenoid, which tends to throw up the P2004 code

There is a known intermittent fault, which has been fixed in a revised solenoid.
Yeah that thought had crossed my mind. I'll see if the error reoccurs but hasn't as yet (it was happening quite often). If it does then I might change the small filter first before changing the solenoid.

To be fair the BG treatment is the best available, but there is no such thing as a magic potion to fix these sorts of problems. Kent is no problem mate, we're a national outfit.

To be fair the BG treatment is the best available, but there is no such thing as a magic potion to fix these sorts of problems. Kent is no problem mate, we're a national outfit.
What you say it very true.

Forgot your firm was nationwide, might be something I would consider at a latter date though.

P2004 isn't a mechanical issue, its the Denso solenoid valve at the top of the engine. Simples...buy a new one. I've never had a P2004 pop-up code ever since I repelaced mine

Does anyone have any issue for their car which had been remap with the EGR OFF? it's interesting me for a while now, I did had my car remap by faddy and I replaced a brand new EGR VALVE in May of this year, costing a small fotune for that, the car runing best ever for me now..I also replace the solenoid valve as well...

Ray - many Honda's tuned now, both Civics and Accords and the odd few CRV's, and no problems reported yet.

The IMRC is really just a solenoid and actuator for the EGR valve. But its something we map out in the EGR OFF, we map out the complete loop. As long as the EGR remains closed, as all we can do is request it in the software, then you will have no EGR or EGR related issues. If however the EGR is completely physically stuck open for example then no software in the world will fix it.

P2004 isn't a mechanical issue, its the Denso solenoid valve at the top of the engine. Simples...buy a new one. I've never had a P2004 pop-up code ever since I repelaced mine
I know it's not mechanical I'll just wait and see if the error reoccurs. Out of interest what kind of price are the solenoids on the facelift version? £100+?

Regarding the remap what kind of MPG do you get, I normally get around 540ish miles per tank. If driving very economically I get well over 600 miles.

Another reason I haven't remapped is the insurance is an additional £100+ and I'm probably getting into the zone for a new clutch as the car has done 48k now. Heard the remap is a bit harder on the clutch but I suppose that's down to driving style.

Remapped with stage 2 egr off, still on original clutch 170k miles and the car is amazingly fast

Remapped with stage 2 egr off, still on original clutch 170k miles and the car is amazingly fast
Now thats impressive.

The clutch is a well known issue with the Accord and the remap doesn't cause it but just high lights the issue faster. If it slips then it would slip regardless of the remap at some point.

I have the stage 1 remap and had the clutch slip. Since changing the clutch it has never had another issue.

I tried it and it's really done something to mine. The car hardly smokes when I put my foot down and the hesitation is a lot less, if at all at the moment. I'm also running v-power, so that probably helps.

D1025 check my post out pipecross filter v honda filter after remap 1 and egr off I cant tell u what I do to a full tank as car gets filled t the rim after each shift

Thanks for all the replies. What's the difference between the Stage 1 & 2 and if any of you have more mpg figures I'd much appreciate it. Also I know the trip computer isn't accurate regarding mpg but is the accuracy made worse by the remap?

Cheers chaps

D1025 check my post out pipecross filter v honda filter after remap 1 and egr off I cant tell u what I do to a full tank as car gets filled t the rim after each shift

Interesting read Dave cheers mate

Stage 1 @ 180bhp and Stage 2 @ 192bhp

And by the way in case there are still any doubters out there debating whether the EGR OFF is a good idea or not, these two are examples of problem cars that we fixed with our software just in the last few weeks. The first one had already spent £300+ on a remap from another tuner.. and was ready to burn his car. He wouldn't believe the software would fix it ;) Similar story with the second guy.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines-transmission/66584-stage-2-egr-delete-has-made-me-happy-man.html

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines-transmission/67066-fuel-starvation.html

And by the way in case there are still any doubters out there debating whether the EGR OFF is a good idea or not, these two are examples of problem cars that we fixed with our software just in the last few weeks. The first one had already spent £300+ on a remap from another tuner.. and was ready to burn his car. He wouldn't believe the software would fix it ;) Similar story with the second guy.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines-transmission/66584-stage-2-egr-delete-has-made-me-happy-man.html

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines-transmission/67066-fuel-starvation.html

Cheers Faddy I'm not in anyway a doubter (more in awe) :D

I take it these remaps can be done via Galleto Flasher and the like so I could flash the ecu myself and keep a copy of the original map file myself for safety (or show I say for posterity sake). I don't have any problems at the moment with the car and I'm quite happy with it as it is, but I am interested and may consider this in the new year after the next major service (6th year service).

Yes mate Galletto seems to work ok with these cars so you could benefit from a File Only service.

I've just ordered some BG244 to give the injectors and EGR a clean

Would it be best to manually clean out the EGR and pipes etc first by hand before using the BG244?

Yeah always worth doing that Paddy, but if you're already running one of our maps, maybe considering upgrading to the EGR for a permanent solution.

Will blanking the egr increase the amount of fumes out the exhaust when accelerating?

You will probably notice a slight bit more just on initial lift off but overall its either the same or better than EGR ON. The benefits far outweigh any disadvantages though mate. You'll find the car has a much sharper throttle response with power available on part open throttle comparable to what you had on wide open throttle, extra torque throughout the rev range and just a smoother engine all round.

is it possible to keep stage 1 with EGR off, as I would like to use my clutch for a bit longer :D

Yes of course, we're not doing EGR on stock map. It's always either Stage 1 or Stage 2.

I did one on Abdul's car tonight, he brought it over after it suffered some problems last night and wouldn't rev past 2k RPM. Ran the diagnostics, cleared the codes and EGR OFF'd it. Seems perfect so far...

I've just ordered some BG244 to give the injectors and EGR a clean

Would it be best to manually clean out the EGR and pipes etc first by hand before using the BG244?
Having used the BG244 first then inspecting the EGR I agree with Fahad, clean the EGR manually first as the BG244 did not do very much for mine.

Yes mate Galletto seems to work ok with these cars so you could benefit from a File Only service.
That's interesting cheers. I ***ume the stage 1 is the more economical of the two or is it a case of if you drive economically with both remaps they give a similar figure.

Hi fahad sorry that night I wasn't contact you, still thinking of that because my EGR valve is brand new that I replace the fault one, and it can works for the life time of this car basically,..and been using redex diesel treatment everytime when I fill the fuel seems smoke is clear and car is runing smooth,still ask myself why I should upgrade the car on the EGR Off..
And just got the side skirts and rear lip from germany, will soon have this project done in jan.. Put more money in the looking of the car at the moment..