What's new

Black oil!

TheJamMod

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
I've been checking my oil and it looks black -- and the level is slightly over the mark, but not too bad. I'm quite annoyed that the service didn't seem to include a oil change from the garage I bought it from. I don't think any damage has been done, but I'm changing it this weekend for piece of mind.

Oil in a diesel engine, is always BLACK, as soon as it goes in even though nice and golden it is BLACK in seconds. Please do not chastise your service agent he will know that you have never had a diesel before. But as you say if your not happy no harm done in changing it, do the filter as well then you are doubly ***ured.

I've been checking my oil and it looks black -- and the level is slightly over the mark, but not too bad. I'm quite annoyed that the service didn't seem to include a oil change from the garage I bought it from. I don't think any damage has been done, but I'm changing it this weekend for piece of mind.
Yes black oil is not a problem. But if you are not sure how long its been in best to get it changed.

http://www.lubetechshop.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=22_27&products_id=44

D'OH! Thanks. I don't know much about diesels. :( I might be purchasing some lubetech stuff very soon.

Also make sure its not over filled, this can do just as much damage in these engines as under filling it.

^sound advice from the guys. Just make sure you use the correct grade of oil too. I would recommend you go for the lubetech 25 litre pack as it works out very cost effective and is a good oil. Stick to using a genuine honda oil filter. Its an easy job to do as we discussed at the HH meet.

Yep good advice from the guys

I had a similar promise from the dealer I bought my car off.
He claimed to have changed the oil less than a week (and no real mileage) before I collected it. When I got the car home my oil was BLACK too.

It's my first diesel, so ***umed it was par for the course.

6K later I changed it with LubeTech's 0W-30. Although it soon discoloured, for a good 1500 miles I could still tell by the colour on the dipstick it wasn't 'old oil'. Perhaps a feature of this oil, perhaps the dealer's oil dirtied quicker. I'll never know, but I remain suspicious...

From what I know, one of the functions of the oil is to clean and remove the deposits using detergents as well as keeping the parts lubricated and transferring heat. If the oil changes colour it is a good thing IMHO, as long as it doesnt smell burnt or anything like that, it should be fine.

As Tony says, if you're unsure when it was done, it's better to change it to be on the safe side.

Clean oil is important with the Honda diesel engine, and an oil change doesn't cost much, especially if you do it yourself.

If unsure, get an oil testing kit to see if its still holding strong or broken down..

Thanks guys. Well, based on what's been written here, the oil doesn't look old; it's certainly not thick or sludge. I suspect it's been done.

Also remember that the diesel engine oil has slight thermal expansion so what might seem full at a cold engine could show over when the engine is upto tempreture.

I myself only add oil based on a warm engine been stood still for 15-20 mins