What's new

Black smoke during acceleration

beneverard

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 CDTI
Hi all,

The car: 7th gen Accord Tourer 2.2 CDTI, 172,000 miles.

I bought the car a couple of months ago and for the most part it's all going well. On the journey back from the sellers house my partner (who was driving behind me) mentioned black smoke coming from the exhaust on acceleration.

When I accelerate hard the car pulls like a train but leaves a huge black cloud of smoke behind, with moderate acceleration more black smoke but less of it and less frequently.

I've done a bit of searching and the usual turbo + injectors results have come up.

Is there any advice on further diagnosis? I've not done a fault code check (don't *yet* have a reader).

Cheers,
Ben

If it's pulling hard and otherwise running OK (and giving decent economy) then I don't think this is a serious problem. I agree with replacing the air filter as a first thing.

Has it been remapped/performance tuned? That can make them a bit smoky.

Is the ECU warning light on? If not, then no hurry to read the codes. But worth getting your own reader, imo.

Welcome to TA!

Yes was thinking maybe it has a remap on it. Do you loose any oil at all? Also what sort of mpg do you think your getting?

Could be bad injector or sticking egr valve.

Also a poor remap can cause this but you wouldn't know unless a tuner checks your ecu firmware

Hi all, thanks for the replies:

- Will check the air filter
- Economy is good, on a long 50% motorway, 50% A road got 49mpg.
- Just did a 1,000 mile trip to Edinburgh, will check mpg from that.
- Not sure if it has been remapped
- No warning lights at all
- No oil lose from under the car, oil consumption appears to be inline with owners manual

I'll check / replace the air filter and report back.

Thanks again everyone!

Mine smokes a lot when I floor it - which is good when someone's tailgating on the motorway :D Doesn't smoke at any other time though so I think it's an EGR thing with me.

With mine done the remap, on hard acceleration all the way up to 120mph hardly see any smoke on the back at all! Again, thanks fahad.

Hi everyone,

An update so far.

So I checked the air filter, it was a little dirty and full of large debris... I decided to splash the cash (£13) and get a new filter.

Smoke on medium / hardish acceleration has gone, or at least from what I can see.

I do get smoke when I ask for full power, but I'm okay with that.

Although now (related? maybe) when I start the car from cold I get white smoke out the back, it only lasts a few seconds but it's quite noticable.

Anything I can check for white smoke from cold start?

P.S. it's just passed an MOT with only mechanical advisories.

Cheers!
Ben

Unburnt diesel is (oddly) white, so smell the white smoke to check for unburnt fuel. Otherwise it's almost certainly water vapour which isn't unusual when starting, depending upon weather conditions... but make sure the coolant level isn't falling.

Super late reply, my bad.

It's definitely not water vapour as you usually see. It bellows out of the exhaust after firing up, but only after the car has been sitting for a while.

An update on the black smoke on acceleration, I still get a little bit if I floor it, but not as bad as before I slapped the new air filter in... so we're winning there :D

Ben - not sure where you are located, but I offer a diagnostic service. Drop me a line for details.