What's new

Bluetooth module - dead? needs activating?

Odysseus

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
I've recently bought a 2007 Tourer with the diesel engine and navigation.

Supposedly I have Bluetooth. I have the buttons on the steering wheel and I poked around under the trim and found this... I did disconnect it before I took the picture so no points for pointing this out! :D

IMG_4555_zpsp33ffmva.jpg

When I try and set up the Bluetooth via voice commands I have no luck, but all other voice commands seem to work fine.

Via the navigation screen I accessed the voice command help page, and saw the following. Note there are two pictures in order to show everything that was displayed.

IMG_4553_zps3zbkq4xp.jpg

IMG_4554_zpsdhvazgjq.jpg

No-where in the help options are anything relating to phone, or Bluetooth.

So my question is, if the Bluetooth unit is dead, does the help option automatically know not to display help on Bluetooth? If not, do I need to talk to Honda about 'activating' Bluetooth in my car?

Last question, would upgrading the software on the nav help? I think the software it's currently running is what was there from the start.

IMG_4548_zpsw7wm2ryt.jpg

Very grateful for any advice. I'm currently using a Bluetooth thing clipped to the sunvisor, so it would be nice to get the in-car stuff working if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Those voice commands do not work off the bluetooth module - they work using the voice control button on the very bottom left on the steering wheel

If you press the CALL button on the steering wheel is there an audio beep and the sterio gets muted?
If not then it sounds like the bluetooth module is faulty (Common problem)

I have the same problem. Tried pairing with 2 different phones, no cigar.

After reading a thread on this site re how to find another BT module, resigned to buying a plug-in bluetooth FM radio thingy.

That whole stereo / navigation unit is my least favourite thing in the car. Full of superseded broken tech.

I share some of your frustrations. I do like how the nav unit feels part of the car, in as much as it shows climate settings etc, but the lack of Bluetooth is annoying.

I'm using a Supertooth thing clipped to the sun visor. It charges off a micro USB cable, the battery lasts for ages, and it's very discreet. From memory it was only £30 or so and that was years ago.

If I hold onto the Accord I might consider a Grom. I had one in my Volvo S80 and it was very good.

New Honda HFT units are > £1000 and second hand ones are anywhere from £100 to £200 usually

Grom is a good alternative for around £110 the only downside is it uses the channel radio buttons on the steering wheel instead of the phone buttons to answer/end calls

Alot of Owners have disconnected their hft due to power drain issues. There is alot of imformation about it on the other forum.

My stereo does beep and mute when I press the call button. But the unit won't pair following the instructions in the manual. Am I overlooking something?

Richard B said:
My stereo does beep and mute when I press the call button. But the unit won't pair following the instructions in the manual. Am I overlooking something?
In what sense will it not pair?

Accord-EX said:
In what sense will it not pair?
With the phone in visibility mode, and the car actively looking for a phone with which to pair, the pairing sequence on the car times out and informs that no phone was found.

We tried this for hours using an older Xperia S as well as a brand new Xperia. We tried clearing settings etc.

Both phones pair fine with other BT systems we have.

Mmm im not sure about this one, have you an iphone or another brand phone to try with? Ive never paired with android phones although it should still work the same. Maybe someone else on here with the same phone can comment

Does anyone fix these modules? Don't have the money to buy a new one from dealer and don't want to buy second hand ones as they will stop working also at some point.
I'm sure there is someone out there with the knowledge and means to fix these

There is a thread somewhere about "baking" the electronics board to overcome dry solder joints. It's a slightly risky procedure and best done with the help of a local professional or enthusiast familiar with Surface Mount Electronics.

Mine is exactly the same, phone won't pair with the stock BT system.
I just bought a Grom which has been flawless for me.

I also have same issue, tried syncing it to oneplus, iphone and huawei phone :S

If you have an Xcarlink you can buy the Bluetooth addon accessory which is then pretty much same setup as the Grom bt3

So to cut a long story short, I decided to have a go at the baking method to try and restore life to my totally dead Bluetooth kit in my 2007 Accord Tourer.

I've seen this technique mentioned in a couple of threads on a variety of forums, but never in the form of a how-to, so I documented what I did in the hope it might help someone else in the future.

Firstly take out your Bluetooth module from behind the centre air vents. There's one green connector to unplug, and two screws.

Once you've done this, bring it to your workbench (kitchen table?) and open it up. There are some simple plastic clips to deal with, but nothing significant.

20170211_122429118_iOS_zpsoos0rvax.jpg

20170211_122507269_iOS_zps5tar5f2g.jpg

The circuit boards should lift out of the plastic casing with gentle force, don't twist them or pull too hard.

The electronics comprise two circuit boards. I've no idea what they do, but I figured I'd take a scientific approach to oven baking parts of my car, and do one at a time. They're connected by a long grey connector, gently lift and place the smaller circuit board (the one on top) to one side.

Once you've done this, prepare your baking sheet. I spread tin foil over a small baking tray, and made four little balls of tin foil to elevate the circuit board off the baking tray to avoid hot spots.

20170211_122816930_iOS_zpspv7stohn.jpg

Place the larger circuit board (with the big green connector) on top of the balls, and place carefully into a preheated oven.

20170211_122830616_iOS_zpslwlsy6d5.jpg

According to Wikipedia, solder melts at 180 degrees celcius, so I set my fan oven for 200. I baked it for 10 minutes, then turned the oven off and opened the door and let it all cool without touching it for 15 minutes afterwards.

Once it was all cooled down, I put it all back together and plugged it back into the car.

Moment of truth... I pressed the button under the steering wheel which previously did nothing and was rewarded with a beep! Success!

I then dug out my instruction manual read about how to set up the connection. I had a bit of a faff connecting to my iPhone 6S, but it worked second time round. I used the passcode 0000 which worked first time, whereas 1234 did not. No idea if this is relevant or not.

20170212_091053000_iOS_zpsm40thcc4.png

It is fair to say the Bluetooth in my 2007 Honda feels like very old tech and the lack of proper integration with the nav system is almost laughable a decade on, but hey, I'm in a better position than I was 24 hours ago!

20170212_091104724_iOS_zpstwrzv63t.jpg

I've made a few test calls and it works fine. I'm not sure how long this fix will last, but I had literally nothing to lose so I'd recommend it if you're in the same position as me.

Tools needed are a flat bladed thing (like a spatula) for opening the trim to get to the Bluetooth module, a Philips screwdriver, an oven, a baking tray, some tin foil.

Interesting to see how long that lasts for and if anyone else tries it.. I might give mine a go in a couple weeks see if it can come back from the dead

Excellent post Andy. Great work.

I will try this as well, even though I (like a few others) do get a beep and volume drop upon activation, and I can cycle through a bunch of old stored phone numbers from a previous owner. Like you say, nothing to lose when it's not working.

I's say one of the boards is the control unit, and one the bluetooth module. In my case I'll only bake the bluetooth board as that is where I suspect the pairing problem lies. (Small chance of it being a comms problem between the boards though)

Do you have a higher resolution shot of the boards?
We will be able to determine the function of each board by looking at the ID numbers of the IC's. Bluetooth boards are much smaller these days so I suspect the board is using older chips.

I will also put the boards under a microscope to see if there are any identifiable suspect joints. (unless someone else else here does this first)

Thanks for that. What a doozy.. Some of the components on these boards are no longer made, and this is quite a complicated unit. There's a lot of stuff there - voice recognition libraries, memory for different paired devices, and what not. It is apparently upgradable for new functionality.. i don't think Honda ever followed through with any of that.

The bluetooth module is on the lower left side in this image:

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AOx55yCezPdxzoQ&cid=3C691C47FDD07425&id=3C691C47FDD07425%21108798&parId=3C691C47FDD07425%211842&o=OneUp

The antenna is printed on the board and located under the barcode sticker next to it.

There is quite a lot of information on the FCC's approval for this module: https://fccid.io/CB2BLUEC05

All these CB2BLUEC05 units seem to be the same world wide, and across all models. These boxes are expensive in the UK and EU, but the going price in the US seems to be about US150. The mounting screws for the box might vary from model to model, but the circuit boards and connectors should be the same. The audio feedback on a US unit could be different though!

I suspecting that Johnson Controls Interiors used the same unit and boards for different automotive clients. For example after spotting the same green plug on a control unit for the Hyundai Sonata, I looked at the FCC details and it shows that this unit uses the the same boards https://fccid.io/document.php?id=565151

If anyone has a friend or relative with a Sonata, it might be worth checking if the voice command functions and the audible feedback system is identical to Honda (ie, the same female voice perhaps). Who knows, these units could be completely interchangeable.

BTW. Some people have has some success replacing the capacitor on the main board: http://acura-hfl-bluetooth-module-repair.blogspot.com.au/2015/10/how-to-repair-hfl-bluetooth-module-for.html

New to Honda cars, just bought a 2007 Accord Tourer EX I-CDTI yesterday (25/4/17), from a second hand car dealer in Peterborough. Flattened the battery on the forecourt, whilst trying to get Bluetooth set-up. All the HFT voice activation was working, but when trying to pair, no "Honda HFT" would ever appear on the Phone (Windows phone nor dealers iPhone 6). Dealer spun the line older phones would only work, I knew that not to be the case, but slightly gutted, still bought the car!

Today a happier man (for the time being) all thanks to Andy (Odysseus). Engineering was not a gift my brain understands, yet following his excellent visual guide. I was able to mimic his procedure. With the exception that Richard B advised, as I agreed with Richard's logic, in that it's the smaller BLUETOOTH card that has the issue, the command unit itself was fully functional, accepting/recognising my commands etc, however just not able to find any phone, or advertise on the phones either. So I followed Andy's guide "cooking" this card, leaving the larger control unit card well alone!

Initially I was wary of cooking any component , so tried just reseating the connector. IT WORKED!!! Hence knowing the Bluetooth name advertised (Honda HFT), That is, until I turned off the ignition etc. Then Bluetooth just didn't work anymore on subsequent start-up.

Well as Andy said, what to lose???? Cooked the Bluetooth card as per recommendations. Let it all cool down. Put the HFT module back together and in the car, and so far is working, Even when turned off/on. Andy hasn't commented on how long his fix has worked, hopefully still is?

However with Ebay prices in excess of £130 for a probably dodgy unit, and heaven forbid knowing what Honda would charge. Suddenly my overpriced 2nd hand Honda is worth a little more of the overpayment!

I'm really pleased people are finding this thread useful. I can't claim credit for any of these ideas, I just thought a visual guide would be useful.

Pleased to report mine is still working with seemingly no adverse battery drain.

Now I just need to get my air con leak fixed... Not sure baking is the answer this time. :)

Hi everyone, I'm interested in this repair, does it stop the battery drain issue also?

Done mine. Did the power board and that made no difference, did the communication board and would you believe it, it worked. Will check battery level over the next few day.

Stuh I see you have been cooking on another forum as well[emoji12] [emoji23]

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk