What's new

Bonnet Cable

Nathylad

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 Accord Sport
Tried to open my bonnet to top up the windscreen washer but got nothing when I pulled the latch.
I didn't hear the cable snap and its still connected at the end in the drivers foot well.
Any ideas on how I can open the bonnet as I don't like not being able to check my oil either.

You can try getting some grips and pulling the cable from where the handle is inside the car.

sounds like you've either got too much slack on the cable or its snapped, or you have a stuff release mech.

try that and let me know how u get on buddy ;)

When you pull the cable with some grips as Tony suggests get someone to push down gently on the front of the bonnet and then try to pull it up.
Good luck Nathan :).

Hiya guys,

Right, the bonnet cable seems to have fixed itself but it's not got that same pop up action as it used to so I'm guessing the cable has indeed got too much slack.

Can I rectify this with the existing cable or does it need a new cable?

You can tighten the cable from inside the car as well as on the release latch.

if u have any issues let me know and ill inbox ya what to do mate, i prefer people trying first as its lazy not to lol ;)

Is it possible the lock mechanism in the engine bay is gummed up?

I use white lithium spray grease around the mechanism, trying to identify the pivot points especially. If so you might find the cable moves freely and pops the bonnet as before. I've not had this problem, its just a guess on my behalf!