What's new

Boot problem

philjory

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
I opened my boot this morning and heard a bang something broke in the boot mechanism and now it wont stop up and there,s no tension in the operation. Can anyone give me any advice?

If its a tourer one of the gas struts have gone maybe, they have been known to go on the tourers.

Yep agree with Andy on this if its a tourer

It' not a tourer it's a salon with a spoiler on the boot

Havent got a saloon Accord but on my past saloon cars they have had either or gas struts or springs to enable the boot lid to stay open unaided. I would go on the hunt to see if these have failed in some way.

Ok its a saloon the boot only opens a jar on mine and not right up.All the 7 th gen do this.
If there was a bang check the 2 bars halfway in the boot at the top.There tensioned and the plastic connector that holds them together might have snapped.

Ok its a saloon the boot only opens a jar on mine and not right up.All the 7 th gen do this.
If there was a bang check the 2 bars halfway in the boot at the top.There tensioned and the plastic connector that holds them together might have snapped.
Please re-read the original post

Have a look hear i have read the 1st post so why would i need to read again

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__5510&block_03=3063

I can't see anything wrong with Brett's response, sound advice as far as I can see. Maybe you need to re-check your own post mate.

Right, to try and be as helpful as possible I have posted two photos of the saloon. In the middle at the top of the boot to the right of the boot light there are two bars that should span the width of the boot and are held in by the plastic clip visible in the first image (Grey clip pointed to with red arrow)

IMG_0309.jpg

In the second image below, these two metal bars (rods), one should clip on the top left hand side of your boot as in the image below and is sort of hook shaped at the end and the other should clip on the top right hand side of your boot (not illustrated)

IMG_0310.jpg

Hope this helps.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Have a look hear i have read the 1st post so why would i need to read again

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__5510&block_03=3063
Please accept my apologies it was me who did not read your post correct
I would like to thank you for your help and if i can ever make any useful contribution to this forum i will do
My previous car was a 6th gen accord 1.8se, I did 138000 miles in that car and never had any problems with it.
This car is a 2.2 ictdi 2004 and i have had it 3 years it's done 93000 and in the last 6 months 1 x accelerator sensor and trouble with A/C and Honda have informed me that the manifold is cracked but luckily it is still covered by Honda's warranty and now this problem with the boot

Right, to try and be as helpful as possible I have posted two photos of the saloon. In the middle at the top of the boot to the right of the boot light there are two bars that should span the width of the boot and are held in by the plastic clip visible in the first image (Grey clip pointed to with red arrow)

IMG_0309.jpg

In the second image below, these two metal bars (rods), one should clip on the top left hand side of your boot as in the image below and is sort of hook shaped at the end and the other should clip on the top right hand side of your boot (not illustrated)

IMG_0310.jpg

Hope this helps.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks for the info and the pics, i will let you know how i get on

I would like to thank you for your help and if i can ever make any useful contribution to this forum i will do
My previous car was a 6th gen accord 1.8se, I did 138000 miles in that car and never had any problems with it.
This car is a 2.2 ictdi 2004 and i have had it 3 years it's done 93000 and in the last 6 months 1 x accelerator sensor and trouble with A/C and Honda have informed me that the manifold is cracked but luckily it is still covered by Honda's warranty and now this problem with the boot
No problem Phil were all hear to help and i often read posts wrong :)

No worries, we are all here to help ;) Thats the reason we are all here to share our love and pain of the Accord

Sounds like you've had a few issues recently, hopefully everything will be back to normal, I suppose the more technology the greater the potential for something to go wrong.

Presumably everything was fine for the last 2 and a half years ?

If you don't mind me asking, why did you need the Accelerator sensor, was it a complete failure, never heard of one needing replacing as of yet, so would be interested in symptoms that you experienced.

With the A/c do you know whether the A/c had been regularly serviced in the past?

Sounds like you've had a few issues recently, hopefully everything will be back to normal, I suppose the more technology the greater the potential for something to go wrong.

Presumably everything was fine for the last 2 and a half years ?

If you don't mind me asking, why did you need the Accelerator sensor, was it a complete failure, never heard of one needing replacing as of yet, so would be interested in symptoms that you experienced.

With the A/c do you know whether the A/c had been regularly serviced in the past?
The accelerator was'nt a complete failure I could be driving along sometimes on the motorway in the outside lane and all of a sudden i would have no power and i would be very lucky to be able to pull over to the side of the road or if on the motorway the hard shoulder. Then no matter how many times i pressed the accelerator i could not get any revs above tick-over. I would have to turn the engine on and off again sometimes up to six times before i was able to drive again.
The fault was first diagnosed as a faulty camshaft sensor and was replaced at a cost of £161. About 3 months later the problem returned and this time i took the car to a Honda dealer who diagnosed that the fault was a faulty throttle position sensor (AKA accelerator sensor) which was replaced at a cost of £270.07 and so far the problem has not returned.

The a/c has been regularly serviced and the Honda dealer has said that the problem is a faulty heater resistor which is now going to cost me £172. I now have this problem with the boot and I'm wondering WHATS NEXT

Thanks for the info and the pics, i will let you know how i get on
According to your pics mine seems to be the same as yours however there is a springlike cable inside each of the two struts the one on the right hand side is tight and the one on the left is very limp and seems as through it could be broken somewhere. Could this be the problem.

Will have a look for you later Phil unless anyone posts before hand.

Hi Phill,

Sorry for the delay, I just had a quick look at my car and cant see any spring/cable anywhere. The two rods however should span the full width of the boot. In the lings diagram, these rods are part 16 and 17 and clip to the chasis at one end and part 3/4 at the other end and held by the clip in the middle (part 18).

Lings Boot diagram

Also I cant see any cables on the lings diagram, so I am not sure what the cable/sping is on your car?

Hope this helps!