What's new

BP Ultimate diesel or Shell VPD. Any opinions?

zildac

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord i-CTDI EX
Hi Guys,

I used to always use BP Ultimate in my previous car (remapped V10 Touareg) and was just wondering if anyone has any opinions (I'm sure you do :) ) in regard to its use in a 2.2 CTDI as opposed to Shell VPD?
My local BP garage is literally at the end of my road (and the nectar points are useful too!) but I have, since I got the car run on either BP Ultimate or when convenient shell VPD. Looking at the tech specs the cetane rating for BP-U is higher (55 as opposed to 51 for VPD) but that said the soot level is lower for VPD. There doesn't seem to be a great difference, but I am going to stick some BG244 in and hopefully have a remap courtesy of Fahad in the next few months, and I suspect that as the car is/was ex-lease it was probably run on supermarket crud for a considerable part of its life. I can;t say I notice a preceivable difference between the two, but most of the talk on the board seems to be around VPD as opposed to BP-UD

Thanks,

Ross.

Shell VPD is a unique fuel derived from the use of gas to liquid technology and currently they are the only provider to offer such a fuel. BP ultimate is a cetane increased normal derv with cleaning agents, whether anyone can tell the difference is personel some can some cant.

I have trouble getting VPD so use total excellium but it also is not a GTL fuel but a simple tweeked normal derv.

Andy's explanation is spot on.

Think of every other diesel out there, premium or otherwise as conventional diesel derived from the distillation process from crude oil. VPD is genuinely unique in that it's a GTL synthetic fuel. Might not have the highest cetane rating but it's the purest and cleanest diesel you can buy.

I don't let any other diesel near my car. Period.

I've also only just put in Shell VPD in my 2.2 i-CDTI.
I have heard that it's the best you can get and with the i-CDTI's being so "high strung" I recon it's the way to go.

Hi Guys,

Andy, Fahad thanks for the explanation I did read that and it made sense, I think it is definitely the best option...thanks for the clarification. Just a little farther to travel :)

Thanks,

Ross.

Andy's explanation is spot on.

Think of every other diesel out there, premium or otherwise as conventional diesel derived from the distillation process from crude oil. VPD is genuinely unique in that it's a GTL synthetic fuel. Might not have the highest cetane rating but it's the purest and cleanest diesel you can buy.

I don't let any other diesel near my car. Period.

by the way lads,
today I filled my tank and paid 135.9 for litre.
Prices claiming up much faster as I expected :rolleyes:

Yeah the prices are getting nice and high now.
I love how the fuel prices always go up and when oil prices go down the fuel prices stay where they are.

I've used vpd for the last 4 years nearly, it's the only fuel I feed the accord with, when it's mot time they always impressed with how clean/low the emissions are. With fahads remap the last mot guy couldn't get a emissions cos it was so clean! He had to rev the car to pick up a reading! Lol

Advice from friends and a bit of internet research have led me to always use VPowerD.

Reading this forum has only confirmed my belief.

More expensive yes, but worth it in my opinion.

alright, what is BG244? m i missing some code here? just bought my diesel so looking for an additive and got a millers one in halfords today, thought i'd try it instead of redex

Millers Ecomax or aka diesel sport 4 will raise your cetane level but do little more, BG244 is IMO the best fuel system cleaner on the market.

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/

Hi,

What Andy said :) This is the first time I have used it as all the reviews and talk were positive, so I thought I would give it a try, more as a precautionary measure.

Ross.

What is the price of a can of that 244? and keep us updated please! sounds interesting ;)

thanks for link, does anyone stock it on the shelf? or mail order only?
any recent feedback from first time users?

Hi All,

Quick update re my experience of BG244...I saw no noticeable difference with it BUT I also had a remap by Fahad 2 days after I added it to my tank, so I think that may have muddied the waters (remap review to come soon!).

HOWEVER I 'lent' my spare can to a friend of mine who runs a '55 BMW 530d and was experiencing a flatspot and general lack of pick up, he has done 80 miles with the BG in the tank and is amazed at the difference it has made. He says the flat spot has gone, the car is quieter even from cold, and generally runs much much better. He is now going to go and buy himself some (and hopefully return mine :) So, I think I will continue to use it maybe once or twice a year, but the only reason I went for it in the first place was for preventative purposes (I had the car for only 2 months and whilst it has history etc, it was ex lease, so I 'm sure there was plenty of dodgy diesel guzzled during its lifetime thus far).

Regards,

Ross.

Ross,

If you can, just switch fuels to VPD and don't bother with the BG stuff in my opinion.

Cheers

Fahad

Hi Fahad,

Yeah I think you're right. I have only been using VPD since the remap, and will continue to do so. Or alternatively BP Ulti depending on proximity. Although they're both 139.9 round these parts now!!! Scary :-( Mind you I'm getting nearly twice the mileage I got out of the Treg so not so bad....

Ross.

Ross,

If you can, just switch fuels to VPD and don't bother with the BG stuff in my opinion.

Cheers

Fahad

I've used vpd for the last 4 years nearly, it's the only fuel I feed the accord with, when it's mot time they always impressed with how clean/low the emissions are. With fahads remap the last mot guy couldn't get a emissions cos it was so clean! He had to rev the car to pick up a reading! Lol

shame it cant reduce the car taxband any further huh? :rolleyes: