What's new

Brake fluid

StuH

Members
Reaction score
Car
Superb Estate 3.6 V6
Sorry, I have searched but can't find a definitive answer to what brake fluid is recommended for my Accord (what dot etc). Is it simply get Honda's own?

4 or 5 bud.. It's here somewhere....

Dont use dot 5 you must stick with dot 4 or 5.1, some people use 5.1 as its got a higher boiling point.

Dot 5 will knacker your MC seals.

Apologies :(

i have to say i've never seen any other DOT of brake fluid for sale (not that I go looking) other than 4 or 5.1 can you get other types from places like Halfords etc?

Yeah Ive seen dot 3 and 5 in halfords and my local parts supplier.

The lid on the brake fluid reservoir says to use either Dot 3 or 4, same for the clutch fluid. I've just had all my brake fluid replaced this week and it was done with Dot 4.

Matt

I got two small bottles from honda for about £6 which is enough for a full flush.

Thanks for the replies. I thought DOT5 wasn't suitable but I presumed DOT5.1 was a DOT5 update so again not suitable. I've not looked on the brake fluid reservoir but as a 2003 it'll be before DOT5.1 was released (I think) so it wont be on the cap.

Dot 4 ate super blue, used this stuff on track and it has a high boiling point.

DOT 3 would typically be used for Clutches rather than disc brakes.

DOT 3 has a minimum spec of 140degC Wet Boiling Point compared to 155degC for DOT4 and 190degC for DOT 5.1

DOT5 is a Silicone based fluid and doesn't absorb water but has been said isn't good with most of the rubber seals used in brake circuits.

The other important aspect of brake fluid concerns lubricity .

DOT 5 Silicone fluids, which tend to be used on vehicles that stand for long periods of time and hence avoid corrosion of lines, calipers and cylinders, have relatively high levels of friction.

This tends to cause roll back of the seals which in some cases can lead to noticeable pad knock off.

In general cars with Silicon brake fluid tend to have poor brake pedal feel which I find quite unpleasant.

DOT 5.0 is also incompatible with all other fluids ie DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 which are poly-glycol based. If they are mixed they will develop threads which will clog up valves and possibly ABS systems.

If yoyu change fluid types the system would need to be flushed with Meths to avoid this issue.

Most racing Brake Fluids are DOT 4

These DOT 4 fluids have a very high dry boiling point - wet boiling point is not quite so much of an issue as most race fluids would be changed routinely at least anually - if not more frequently.

Lubricity of DOT 4 racing Fluids are excellent and I would tend to choose a fluid that gives the best feel rather than the highest boiling point and I do realsie that this is subjective.

I would agree that the ATE Super Blue Racing Fluid is an excellent quality product at a very reasonable price of around £12.50 a litre and I have recently used it in my Accord Tourer (2004 CTDI)

It is great when used with well ventilated disc brakes that don't get too hot.

For extreme performance we used to use Castrol SRF (Liquid Gold) but now use Motul 660.

The oly DOT 5.1 Racing Fluid I have seen is produced by AP racing and is recommended for Performce and Trackdays and doesn't have such a high dry boiling point as thier DOT 4 race fluids.

Very informative... cheers !