What's new

Brake Rewind Tool and Brake Caliper Pin Grease

accord_n22

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord I-CTDI
Hi guys

Apologies if this question has been asked a million times but which brake rewind tool is the best to use on a the rear calipers of a 7th gen I-CDTI saloon

I was looking at these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-1314-Caliper-Piston-Re-wind/dp/B002V72SHS/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360643337387?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Also for which grease is best to use for the caliper pins and the rear of the pads as copper grease is a no no
I have been told this grease is pretty good for the caliper pins

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301156754015?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks guys

I've not used that exact grease, but I would use silicone grease on the pins... copper grease will damage rubber and can cause problems for ABS sensors, red rubber grease (another commonly-used grease on brake systems) isn't a particularly great lubricant, but is best for the internal seals of brake calipers and the master cylinder.

I use the Laserline tool and have done over many cars. Never failed me. However the ebay tool looks like a good bit of kit

Thanks guys.
I think I will go for the laser brake rewind tool as it seems to be the tool that most people use and have success with.
Will also give the threebond silicon grease a go too
Cheers chaps

You can do that with a tourer David, but with the saloon the rear caliper pistons need to be rotated as they are pushed back in.

You can do that with a tourer David, but with the saloon the rear caliper pistons need to be rotated as they are pushed back in.
I never knew this about the tourer rear callipers
Is that why the tourers seem to have more trouble with their rear callipers?

Tourers have a separate drum brake for the handbrake, rather than sharing this function with the rear discs... so very different calipers (far less complex on the tourer) so you'd actually expect fewer problems!

Jon_G said:
Tourers have a separate drum brake for the handbrake, rather than sharing this function with the rear discs... so very different calipers (far less complex on the tourer) so you'd actually expect fewer problems!
Not uncommon design, my e60 bmw has the same set up on the back

Jon_G said:
(far less complex on the tourer) so you'd actually expect fewer problems!
Totally agree Jon and I wish this were true. I think the Tourer rear callipers are more prone to seizing than the saloon from what I've read on here. I had it happen to me about 18 months ago :( . My mate had a tourer and it happened to him also.

But Shabz is right, it's a pretty common design from what I've read on other car forums. Many cars, especially estates, have this design.

My Toyota has very similar rear calipers to the Accord saloon... far more troublesome than my Accord tourer, particularly maintaining the performance of the handbrake.

Mind you, I'm not saying my Accord Tourer brakes are trouble-free!

I have the laser one. Works very well. As a result of this thread, I have now bought the ebay kit too. Any excuse for buying tools eh?

Haha. I am the same - love buying tools too - lol

Let us know how you get on with the ebay kit. Tempting to buy that one as its neatly all cased up but the laser one it seems has been proven by so many people.

I use miller red rubber grease which is okay but the best lubricant I used is pagid ceratec the stuff is really good and doesn't dry or bake itself onto the sliders.

I have the ebay tool kit, not used it yet but looks good. Anyone know what adapter you need to use for the Accord?

I also use red rubber grease for the slider pins and copper grease for the back of the pads. The first thing I did on my tourer when getting it was stripping them down for a good clean and regrease after reading about them having problems.

-Rich- said:
I have the ebay tool kit, not used it yet but looks good. Anyone know what adapter you need to use for the Accord?

I also use red rubber grease for the slider pins and copper grease for the back of the pads. The first thing I did on my tourer when getting it was stripping them down for a good clean and regrease after reading about them having problems.

My ebay kit arrived yesterday. When you take the pads out, it should be clear which adapter fits. It should be the one of the smaller sized discs with 2 pins if that makes sense. The kit is really comprehensive. Just make sure you keep the main turning bolt thing under pressure as you turn the piston back in.