What's new

brakes

Kingy91

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.0 vtec 08
Has anybody tried just buying the twinpot calipers off a 2.4 and putting them on a 2.0? Fond of the idea of improving braking strength and what better way of doing it than with oem parts.

I ***ume you talking about 8th gen, although I have 7th gen I swaped mine for twin pot from ATS, bigger calipers and bigger discs improved braking, don't know about 8th gen, but in 7th gen I had to swap calipers, cariers and discs.

null_zpsa0fa98fa.jpg

null_zpsa15f8a2f.jpg

Thanks for the info. I did ***ume you'd have to change the carriers and the discs but wasn't sure. please can i ask where you got them from? And yeah its 8th gen.

I got mine from Poland, also if you want to improve your braking I'll recommend you to change brake lines for steel braided, they quite cheap and will work well with bigger brakes :)

Thanks :) is there a website or anything to get the lot from? Also what size alloys did you need to fit them into?

Accord TypeS, I'm not sure if 2.4 has same calipers as 2.2, mine came off 2.2, but I had some discussion some time ago about the size of the discs and 2.2 has 320mm, not sure about 2.4.

no, there's no any website, I just got mine from one member from polish forum, I had 17" alloys from Evo and I'm sure that 16" won't fit :)

Definitely a must for track use, etc, (or illegal road-racing, perhaps?) where brake fade may become an issue after very frequent heavy braking, but it seems a lot of expense and effort IF the car will only be used on the roads for normal-to-heavy driving (unless you'll be driving down long mountain passes?). Are you suffering brake fade?

For everyday use braking effort is limited purely by the tyres, and how well they grip the road surface... if your current brakes can already lock-up the wheels (or, more likely, trigger the ABS) then you can't much improve upon that by fitting better brakes!

Sorry to appear a bit negative, but better wheels/tyres are more likely to bring about proper improvement.

No i don't suffer from any brake fade. Im just exploring several ways to do positive modifications to my 8th gen. You may not all agree with my choices though.

I generally don't agree that selectively modifying the braking system is worthwhile.

Additionally, only uprating the front brakes will result in a greater volume of fluid being required to operate the front brakes... if the rears remain stock then they will actually operate sooner, so the braking balance will shift disproportionately to the rear (a very bad thing which can cause unwanted oversteer!).

I did lots of 'experimenting' with car braking systems when preparing cars for short oval racing... it is worryingly easy to make the braking system worse while undertaking 'improvements'!

I'm sure the 8th gen twin pot calipers is a straight swap on the 2l
Also iv been told they also fit the 7th gen as well

They fit 7th gen but not on stock 7th gen wheels. You need more space from a lower offset. Stock wheels will contact caliper.

One thing i would like to do is put grooved discs and uprated pads on it. Would anybody know of a good place to get some? i have noticed the front pads are fairly low...

I personally don't like grooved or drilled discs because of the noise and dust (and the reduction in contact area worries me), but Ferodo DS2500 pads are generally highly rated... hopefully someone who has used them on an Accord can comment on their experience. For my Toyota, I bought DS2500 pads from Camskill and they do seem to make a decent improvement to the braking feel, as do the reinforced flexible brake pipes.

turton89 said:
Do you like anything Jon? Haha
Of course, but it's important to find a proper balance between bling and function Chris.

I was actually quite positive about the DS2500 pads and reinforced lines!

I've personally used mtec discs and mintex pads on a previous car and it improved the braking. I'll probably go with them again.

Jon_G said:
I personally don't like grooved or drilled discs because of the noise and dust (and the reduction in contact area worries me)
I agree with noise and dust, but reduction in the contact area?? grooved discs are causing more friction then standard disc, that's why they're considered as performance discs

Unfortunately the 8th gen hasn't sold in big numbers, and as most have been company cars, modding hasn't been happening a lot, so there aren't many parts, except the very pricey Mugen body kits. Cant see there being much new as the 8th gen has stopped production now.

If you want to mod you'd be better off with a Civic Type R I guess.

Trying not to sound old here....but watch how much you spend, as you could have bought a better car in the first place...

Old man lecture over...

Brodziu, where did you get your discs from? Thanks for the advice richsprint. I don't plan on spending too much. A type r was out the question for me for several reasons. I just want to make it look kinda sporty without really modifying the performance as i want to keep hondas great reliability.