What's new

Braking system in the 2.2 diesel Accord

Accord-EX

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 i-CTDI EX
I am ordering new brake pads for my accord, is it correct that the rears work on a lucas system and the fronts are Teves?

I think I am going to go for Pagid pads going by the reviews on here - I am getting the complete set for £50 from www.carparts4less.co.uk.
I currently have EBC green stuff and I would no recommend them, they have become extremly noisy and the braking power is not great. In my opinion stock was better. I also have grooved discs front and rear

Hmm.... I thought Nissin done the hydraulics on the Accord (including the clutch). I know that the rear of my tourer is Nissin. Having said that, I'm under the suspicion that the front of my Accord's brakes are by ATE.

FWIW - I'm with stock pads and discs with no issues. I did try some Bosch, but the squeaking drove me nuts.

I ordered the same pads for the rear of mine at the weekend from ecp. I just picked the ones that said CN2 as that is the tourer.

The first thing i did to my accord was to uprate the brakes, i couldnt believe how unresponsive they were. I upgraded to drilled and grooved disc with ebc black front and rear. The improvement was much needed and i have no squeaking or noise from them.
Was a good upgrade and well needed for my tourer.

Sorry to steal your post mate, but I want to ask about the front brake as well.

I was pushing my car for a few metres and I could hear the N/S front brake pads were slightly contacted with the brake disc, however, the brakes are strong and jgworking properly when driving.

So should I go and buy a new sets then?
What was the reason that cause the pads touched/contact with the brake disc?

It may be the pad wear indicator starting to contact the disc? This will happen well before the pads wear out... you can easily check the outer pad through the wheel well enough but, even if that looks OK, you'll need to remove the wheel to check the inner pad (which, from memory, is the one with the wear indicator fitted).

If the pads both look OK, the I wouldn't worry unless you notice that the n/s disc is getting noticeably warmer than the o/s after a short run. The clearance between pads and disc is tiny, and is only possibly because the disc has a tiny amount of runoff which knocks the pads back off to generate the clearance (there are no springs to pull the pads back off). So there is a point in disc rotation where it does fractionally contact the pad... this becomes more noticeable after the car has been standing for a while (e.g. overnight) and a small amount of rust develops on the disc surface.

AndyHK said:
Sorry to steal your post mate, but I want to ask about the front brake as well.

I was pushing my car for a few metres and I could hear the N/S front brake pads were slightly contacted with the brake disc, however, the brakes are strong and jgworking properly when driving.

So should I go and buy a new sets then?
What was the reason that cause the pads touched/contact with the brake disc?
Sorry mate my issue was when the brakes were applied, there were no strange noises when just moving..

But to complete this thread, I have installed the new Pagid pads at the weekend all round and the noise is almost gone now. There is a faint whine noise when braking but this is due to the discs being grooved. It is quite faint so I can put up with it however when they need replaced I will be going back to blanks with no drills or grooves.

Here's a few things that I've come across about brakes, and not just Honda related..
I had an Audi Coupe years ago, and I changed the front pads (standard Audi whatever they were, can't remember) and by chance my local Motor Factors supplied Pagid pads.. the difference was very noticable, much better, standard discs.
Next time around I changed the discs and pads for Black Diamond drilled & grooved discs on their own-supplied matching performance pads..Excellent Brakes.
However when those pads wore-out, I just bunged on a set of boggo-standard pattern pads..bad move.. they clogged up the grooves in the discs after a while, and the brakes were ****e.
So If you're using grooved discs then fit suitable performace pads.
Also, don't allow the Honda rear pads to weardown too much, because the caliper piston will come out past its max travel, and give allsorts of problems.... For me it was the VSA light on the dash.
When fitting new pads, put a smear of CopperKote grease (or similar) on the back (piston-side) of the new pad and it will prevent squealing.

i changed my brake lines to HEL s/s braided ones and they are much better. worth looking into as they are more responsive now