Bulkhead/wheel arch leak

Ayrshire

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi folks,

Apologies 2nd question in as many days.

Just wondering how people tackled the hole in the bulkhead/wheel arch area when they found it? I seen an earlier post on this problem but think it was only small hole they had to deal with.

The holes one coming from the bulkhead/strut area and the other from the wheel arch side are fairly big and looks like it might need to be welded. Downside of course it's the worst place to get to so fear it may need to be a full engine out repair.

Any pointers, previous experience tips, advice etched happily rec'd.

Thanks,

Craig

Saw your PM earlier but was busy.

Do you have any pictures of the rust? It depends on how bad the rust is, but the worst I've ever had to do was remove the dash/loom/pedal box.

Send some pictures over dude and I can tell you what needs removing. At the very least though, it will be a dash/loom/sound deadening removal if you want it welded properly (rust cutout, double skinned repair etc) and to last, and even just that is still a big job and will require the best part of a day or two for a proper job.

I have never checked mine, dread to think what it is like, but my car is mostly rust free, so I like to think its fine down there :unsure:

Holy hell....Until I saw yours, mine was the worst I seen, but yours is seriously bad. Is it a coastal car?

Not to sound rude bud but I would definetely say thats more hassle than its worth. :(

Here was mine. There was a little more after that once it was cut out, but it was solid overall and never creeped up the seam like yours.

Thanks for that and appreciate the honesty so no offence taken.

Yeah the rust has been having a right good feed on her.

The car spent good number of its early years on the west coast of Scotland before moving to central belt but the weather, salt roads in the 6mth winter etc have most certainly played a part.

Head says to cut my losses, try and sell the new parts that have just been put on like the power steering hoses etc which were circa £150 and then scrap what's left. Then the heart says "go on it'll be a great wee project, get the engine out and give her another good few years on the road" hahaha.

Crunch time me thinks!

Mate if the cars worth saving! Save it! But weigh out pros and cons! Youve spent so much and tbh youll struggle to get that back now.. Go on push it a bit futher and sort it lol

simorfc said:
Mate if the cars worth saving! Save it! But weigh out pros and cons! Youve spent so much and tbh youll struggle to get that back now.. Go on push it a bit futher and sort it ߘϠlol
Did you see his pictures? lol

In all seriousness, I would do some more digging and check the rest of the car for rust. Also, check how far that rust goes up the seam towards the windscreen area, as that area will be very tricky to repair.

If you do decide to repair it, make sure to get a STRONG decent repair. That part of the car is the most important when it comes to chassis integrity, so any rust that compromises its strength will have a negative affect on the strength of the front chassis legs and inner wings in the event of a crash.

Not trying to scare you OP, but that's the main thing that would worry me with attempting to repair that.

Check the rest of the car and put a rough cost against each repair. That way you can see what it will cost vs a buying a better condition model.

Do you know of any good welders or are you thinking of doing this yourself?

Rust is the single biggest cause for Hondas to go to scrappers. Mechanical wise they will never give up.

You have to remember there are literally loads of Accords For sale so choice is endless

I think I would only fix something like that if I was doing it myself just for the sake of it and learning, otherwise the time and cost will probably outweigh the wothiness of it. As said plenty of Accords out there, although its sad to see one go to the graveyard.

Anyone know why they rust there? Some sort of manufacturing or engineering oversight?

Hi folks, thanks for the various thoughts, comments etc.

As far as I know it's only that bulkhead/wheel arch area (both sides) that seems to be suffering from any degree of rust, main bodywork etc, floor etc all look to be in good order.

I haven't done any welding (shame really as could borrow mig equipment) so probably not the type of repair to start learning on. Only thought was to see if there was a mobile welder in the Glasgow area who could do it and I would strip the front end down so they only had to do the actual welding - ***uming that it's the strip/rebuild that ramps up the cost.

Will get over to give the car another good check for other rust next week and try to find a mobile welder.

For a laugh I popped the details into wegivepocketchangeforanycar site and they offered me £175 for it hahah the power steering hose and return cost more than that and they've only been used for 5 minutes moving the car in and out the garage to get to the storage obove the car.

Has anyone sold bits individually I.e. Broken their car themselves and sold on the bay or did you just scrap as a complete unit? Thinking the engine, power steering lines etc are probably £300-400 which is more than I'd get for the full car :-(

Having read some other threads I'd be tempted with a 2.4 type-s facelift model - if only I could find a good petrol, manual version at a decent price. Fixing mine might prove easier :)

Will update once I get another look over the car or find someone to quote on the welding work.

Cheers,

Craig

exec said:
I think I would only fix something like that if I was doing it myself just for the sake of it and learning, otherwise the time and cost will probably outweigh the wothiness of it. As said plenty of Accords out there, although its sad to see one go to the graveyard.

Anyone know why they rust there? Some sort of manufacturing or engineering oversight?
Water runs behind the strut tops after it rains and gathers up in between the struts and firewall, which eats through the metal as time goes on. Shockingly bad design!

^ Would it be possible to do a DIY fix for this? Like for example making drain holes or adding piping that diverts any water?

Oh heck. I wish I hadn't seen this post... I have a hole exactly like this on the drivers side bulkhead. Had no leaks into the cabin but there's a hole the size of a £2 coin. :((