What's new

Burning front brake pads

TheJamMod

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
I had new discs and pads fitted in July and today a mechanic told me that the front pads are 70% worn! Any idea why and how to fix this problem of premature wear when I get new pads fitted?

Make sure the surfaces of the caliper where the pads sit are clean and free from rust/debris. Lube up the slider pins in the caliper. Make sure the brake fluid is clean and fresh. Make sure the pads - not the friction material - are coated witha thin layer of copper slip. Always best to do this yourself I think as most mechanics will just whip the old pads off and put the news ones off without inspecting, checking, cleaning, etc. Best to try and DIY it with someone overlooking what you do IMHO. Or read up on the info in the DIY section. That's how I learnt.

Perfect advice from Saj...

Also verify yourself that they're worn that much.. Don't just take his word for it

Landrover told us on the service report the pads were worn they're brembo calipers, absolute BS as I had just changed them a few weeks earlier. pi$$es you off that.

You should strip, inspect and give them a good clean. It's a very easy DIY imo if you are handy with simple tools and will make sure it's done properly. how many miles you done and what pad quality you used might make a difference.

As the guys said take the brakes apart and give a dam good clean with a wire brush.You will be amazed at what this can do and there is a DIY from Alan in the DIY section.

rear pad on driver side was wearin much quicker turned out the caliper was siesed. took apart and cleaned seals. . also changed brake fluid .
hope u get sorted