What's new

Burning Smell from under the car...

Simon2354

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer Type S
I have started noticing a rather unpleasant burning smell coming from under the car....particularly if I have done a rather spirited journey, whereby I have had the car engine at the 5000+ rpm range. I have checked the car fully underneath and everything seems as it should but to be fair IT IS the original exhaust system, which is 8.5yrs old and the car has now covered just over 90k from new. Should I be unduly worried?

Simon

could be a carrier bag melted to the exhaust, you'll need to really get under there and look to make sure as it'll keep burning away and smelling something awful. Thats my guess anyhoo

What kind of burning? Burning plastic, burning metal, burning oil, Burning Sulphur (like over heated brakes - that eggy smell)? The type of burning smell should whittle it down to a more clear culprit.

Burning plastic smell usually a plastic bag melted onto the exhaust or flexi, happened to me before.

Thanks for the replies....IT is definitely NOT a stuck carrier bag or similar smell.....I suppose it is more like a smouldering / burnt metal smell that is coming from underneath the car. Perhaps it is just an age thing....

Simon

Could be a binding brake caliper. My discs were VERY hot the other day because my brakes were stuck on.