What's new

buying 2.4 vtec

Ramo

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord iCTDi
hello chaps,
when buying 2003 2.4vtec accord with 125k done, what things to look at when test driving? do they come with dual mass fly wheel? is it timing belt or chain? what are common issues please?

No dmf, belt not chain. You want good history with regular oil changes. Just look and listen out for signs of neglect and abuse. No particular issues but at that age and mileage you might be looking at a new exhaust, clutch, and possibly some new suspension and brake parts.

2.4 petrol has a chain

clutch is the biggest job on 2.4 petrol, though it's not DMF

driveshafts can also be a problem

i have a 2.4 06 petrol
from my driving experience
my clutch went at 116k miles so it would best to check how shifting in gears feel is it smooth. you can test this by it just sat there on the road side. hear a grinding noise as you set off is also a indication that clutch is a issue.
water pump & serpent (fan) belt should be changed at 100k miles. this is from what i have noticed
if you are getting the car and swapping the clutch after make sure you go to a good mechanic :)

My honda goes threw break pads like nothing...

thanks for advise chaps, clutch check it is, it is good reliable car so I believe 125k is just a warm up really :D so it chain or belt then?

Chain mate. Make sure it's had regular oil changes 6000 miles is recommended, fully synthetic oil. Male sure the Vsa turns on and off via the switch, can be an expensive fix. Mine is on 156k still original serpentine belt and water pump. Need to get it done really lol.
2nd drive shafts, drive the car and if you get vibrations around 50mph that fade when you reach about 70mph then it will need new drive shafts.

I should also say i have had my car from 69k miles and is at 117k from jul 13 i drive a lot :p
Have gone threw
4 x sets of brake pads
3 x sets of tires
1x set of break disks
1x clutch
1x battery
1x water pump
1x serpan (fan belt) also found out it has another name "timing belt" (this is not the driving belt/chain)
6 x oil changes every (7.5k) fully synthetic plus 0w 30 i think thats the right oil euro car parts said.

I do try and keep this car maintained as much as possible as the drive is incredible

that's great, cheers, sounds really good. the only problem is expensive road tax, is it £160 per half a year?

the car I am after is converted to lpg, so tax should be cheaper? how about bi-fuel insurance charges?

Yes the tax is about 300ish a year. but is worth it.
Not sure what lpg is.

Ramo said:
the car I am after is converted to lpg, so tax should be cheaper? how about bi-fuel insurance charges?
As said £10 a year cheaper VED. Make sure it's on the LPG register though.

Insurance, it's just declared as a modification. Most insurers take this modification, some may refuse.

funny, but one accord in London for sale and seller sais that £10 a year for road tax :D

yes it sais £0, anyway I got that car, but when arrived home engine management light went on.. seems all ok, seller said it is because of lpg, sometimes its on and disappears again, can this be true or should I dig deeper?

So how much is the tax?

Engine light could be something or nothing. As long as the car isn't in limp home mode it shouldn't be something too serious. I bought a cheap code reader/clearer for £20 when my engine light came on. Do the same and see what the code is.