What's new

Buying a Diesel tourer- Looking for Tips and things to look out for

BlamesCL9

Members
Reaction score
Car
CL9/CW3
hi Guys

Im on the hunt for a 2.2 diesel estate. but dont know much about the diesels. i have a 2.4 type S, so body, suspension, interior wise i know. but engine wise im not sure. most of the cars i find seem to be around 100k miles mark.

I have one i want to view tomorrow which has 112k miles and a 2007 model. a tad higher mileage than i would like, but it comes with all the spec that i want and has a full dealership history.

Anything i should look out for on 100k mile diesel? im hoping it will last me 3-4 years. im going to be using it for social and part time mini cab(private hire) , so it must do atleast 160k+ with no problems.

Thanks for the help in advance

Dan

Hi

Have a read here - should cover most Diesel enquiries you have.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/17428-buying-an-accord/

On the tourer front, the most common issues I know off are:

- Common rear calliper bind
- Rear auto close tailgate can play up - so make sure its working before you buy the car (other wise its pricey repair)

Most Accords will have high mileage unless you pay a crazy amount for ultra low mileage variants. Its a type of car people buy for motorway commutes etc.

High mileage on the Accords are nothing, the diesel N22 engines can go to well over 200K even on the original turbo but the key is regular servicing - especially with the diesels. That cant be expressed enough. The N22 diesel engines require regular oil changes with the correct 0w/30 oil nothing else. Look for evidence of this on the service history - if you cant find this or see paper work of the car running on 5w/30 find it then be very weary and prepare to walk away

Get the facelift 2006-2008 model as most of the diesel issues were rectified. - including cam chain design - and revised oil pump
In my opinion the facelift looks a lot better at the front and has a better steering wheel. It also got the trip computer - pre face lift didn't get this.

The issue which affected all diesels 7th gens were the cracking inlet manifold. Check for dealership paper work evidence that it has been done. If not be prepared to budget 400-500 ish quid for the job as the car would be out of warranty for Honda to do it for free, or could be a bargaining tool. You can check with Honda if the car has been done. Otherwise have a sniff around the rear of the engine for diesel fumes.

Hope this helps
Good luck

Looks nice, best colour also (IMO), what makes it a "Sport GT"? I ask as it looks exactly the same as mine, only visible difference is mine was oe on those lousy 16" wheels.

Looks a nice car, i have the same car in that colour, which is the sport version, (they say its a GT but i think thats salesman hype )but with the 16" wheels, not the 17". The sat nav must have been a option. Its got roof rails which are worth a few quid and are handy for b&q trips, along with a tow bar. Looks like it has been looked after.
Faults on mine when i bought it at 150,000miles/2 yrs ago are...................I would check to see if the hft blue tooth phone works as they are prone to failure. the dual mass flywheel needs changing,ok when cold but when hot the pedal bite is all over the shop, especially when rev'd high in gear. It had abs/esp lights on which was the main abs unit under the bonnet and cost me £220 to fix myself. The exhaust manifold is cracked, have bought a brand new kit from honda which i will fit when the gearbox is out for a clutch and flywheel, will have more room to work with lol. I have a knocking on the rear which are just the anti-roll bar bush's, only a few quid from honda. One of the rear calipers started to stick on/bind but bought new seals and piston off ebay. on striping the caliper i found that where the dust cover locates into the caliper, it was corred. it was pushing the dust cover again the piston stopping its return.
They only thing with that car, which i want to do to mine are the tinted side and rear windows, just make sure your insurence company knows, they will use anything to get out of a claim.

Yes, mine had the 16s, has the roof rails, the Sat Nav, and I can`t seem to get the bluetooth going! Also the DVD player does not work.

the blue tooth on yours sounds like its at fault. i bought one off ebay the other day, got it for £90 which is a bargain, since the cheapest buy it now is £200. At the dealers there £2000 lol.
it was in german mode when i fitted it so had to get my handbook out to see how to change it to english lol. Look at ebay item 151353162113 will give you a clue as to what to look out for :)

Slipping clutch could still be an issue on a 2007 model... check while going up an incline at full throttle in 4th/high gear.

As mentioned, exhaust manifold can crack... check for fumes, especially at cold start-up

Cam/oil pump chains can still wear excessively, despite revised tensioners on facelift models... check for odd rubbing/chafing/rattling noise when ticking over hot. Regular oil changes are key to preventing this, ideally at lower mileages than the Honda schedule. I would be concerned if too many services had been undertaken while overdue, but personally wouldn't worry too much if 5w-30 had been used instead of 0w-30.

Rear brakes can seize/bind... check for noise and hot discs.