What's new

Cam Cover Bolts

J_VTEC

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type S
Hi All,

I was topping up my washer fluid today when I noticed what I thought was a random bolt lying on top of my cam cover. When I picked it up, I realised it was actually the head of one of the bolts that fastens the cam cover down.

Now there's a bit of moisture around the cam cover gasket on that corner of my engine (which I already knew about). What I want to know is...

1. Can I take the other 5 bolts out and remove the cam cover to get at the sheared bolt? (I'm thinking the cover should just lift off the sheared bolt thus exposing more of it which I can then get hold of with some grips or something?)

2. Will I have to drill the thing out and get the head re-tapped?

3. As there's not much of a leak, just leave it?

Any help, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

:)

has the stud sheared flush with the nut? if so removing the cam cover and then removing the rest of the stud should be easier enough. if the nut has some stud still sticking out then the stud may have sheared flush with the head then its a totally different ball game

any chance of a picture or 2 then we might be able to give you a more positive answer

Hi Paul.

The head of the bolt has sheared flush. The 99% of the stud is still in the engine. That's why I figured if I got the cover off, I could get at it with some grips and remove the rest?

BTW,

I've only had the car for a few months, so I'm guessing the guy who had it before me must have done it.

Are you talking about one of the bolts that hold the valve cover?

I actually broke one of those bolts a few months ago. It was a pain in the *** to take it out to install a new one.
I used a Dremel like tool to carve a small line in the bolt so that I was able to use a screwdriver to take it out. Don't forget to use lot's of WD40 so its easier to remove the bolt.

Also, make sure to protect the engine so that you don't throw small metal pieces into it...

There will be a half inch available there to get some mole grips on once the covers off. I recommend some releasing fluid on the thread and tighten it 1/8th a turn then back it out. Jobs good.

If you ever get a sheared flush bolt then it needs drilled. I recommend buying a reverse flute drill bit 2mm smaller than the bolt and drill it. The heat, and the fact its turning anticlockwise, will take most out. Done many manifold studs on old Vauxhalls over the years lol

There will be a half inch available there to get some mole grips on once the covers off. I recommend some releasing fluid on the thread and tighten it 1/8th a turn then back it out. Jobs good.

If you ever get a sheared flush bolt then it needs drilled. I recommend buying a reverse flute drill bit 2mm smaller than the bolt and drill it. The heat, and the fact its turning anticlockwise, will take most out. Done many manifold studs on old Vauxhalls over the years lol

Thanks for the reply!

I need to get it sorted but the leak is only very small so no urgency I guess.

Thanks again.

:)

Hi Pepster.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know the bolt was also used to secure the cam shaft! I just figured it was for the cam cover.

Is there any problem driving the car whilst that bolt is sheared?

Thanks

Hi Pepster,

Do you have a picture of the Bolt? I'm trying to visualise it.

As the head of the bolt is completely sheared flush, will the cam cover simply slide over the rest of it allowing some access?

Cheers

Hi Pepster,

Thanks for the info (and the pic). That will come in very handy indeed!

Cheers