What's new

Can someone confirm my suspicions please?

gav525

Members
Reaction score
Car
04 Accord Ex i-CDTI
Only joined and another problem, but i'm getting there slowly!

The car when i bought it(bought at an auction) had the emissions light constantly on and is very sluggish, almost as if the turbo isnt kicking in at all. I found a quote from Honda for a new turbo, which is why i think the guy before me had traded it in!! It also scared me a bit, but after reading up on here i'm swaying towards the EGR/IMRC valve, or frequency solenoid?

So far i've stripped all the bits off the inlet manifold and will be giving them a clean tomorrow at work as they're pretty gunked up. Is there anything that can be done with the IMRC valve to fix it when it goes, or is it just a case of getting a new one?

I've also purchased a full service kit, including the genuine fuel filter from Honda as i'm not sure what's fitted at the minute, plus could probably benefit from doing it all anyways.

Am i going down the right route here then? The previous posts i've read on here all seem to say the emissions light would come on every now and again, and isnt permanently on like mine.

EDIT: Just to add i put the code reader on the car and got the P2004, IMRC stuck open code

The car would be sluggish if the ECU warning light is on, as the car will have gone into 'limp home' mode which restricts revs and power output (so probably isn't the turbo).

P2004 is IMRC related, as you say, so I would start there. If it is properly stuck (or not receiving the correct actuating signal - which happens) then the MIL will be always on. I suggest that you do a full search of the forums here on this, but I did find this - http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/9727-fault-with-honda-accord-i-ctdi-year-2004-code-p2004-178-09-imrc-incorrect-position/page__p__108672__hl__solenoid__fromsearch__1#entry108672 - which has quite a lot of useful information.

You should be able to easily look and see if the fuel filter is the correct Bosch part by standing with the bonnet open and, maybe, using a torch (I can clearly see this on mine), but I struggle to understand how a fuel filter issue would cause a P2004. But I guess you're going to change it anyway, as you've got a new one.

Cheers for the link there Jon_G, had a good read of it and a few other related threads on here.

Have given the car a full service and changed all filters, including fuel filter for a genuine one.(Genuine one was fitted already anyways)
Also replaced the frequency solenoid valve today as well, but still getting the MIL on? Does it take a while to reset itself, or does this have to be done manually?

Also, before i replaced it earlier, i unplugged it and took the car for a drive, though it felt no different and was still in limp mode. Is this normal when experiencing IMRC problems as i've read about others who unplugged it and the car returned to normal?

Some faults do reset the ECU immediately when cleared... you can manually clear the ECU by disconnecting the battery for at least 20 minutes, but I thought you had access to a code reader (which you could also use to delete codes)? If so, is the P2004 code still being recorded?

Can you see the IMRC actuating rod moving as the engine is revved? Gently try to help it move to see if it's sticking.

I don't believe that unplugging the FSV electrical connector will allow the vehicle to be driven without an IMRC-related code being generated. When you say 'unplugged' do you mean the electrical connector or the vacuum pipe? There is a filter in the vacuum line which does sometimes cause a problem.

Thanks for the reply again Jon. Car has gone a bit crazy now, i'll try to explain.

Read the codes again after replacing the frequency solenoid and instead of just the P2004, i got a whole list this time! P0403-EGR control circuit, P0098-Powertrain, P0113-Intake Air Temp High Input, P0118-Coolant Temp High Input, P2017-Intake Mani Runner Position sensor, P0108-MAP Sensor, P2008-IMRC control circuit/open bank 1a, and finally the P2004 again!

Quite the list, and after disconnecting the battery for 20mins didnt clear it i used the code reader to clear everything which seemed to work ok. Have to add now that i'm only using a cheap OBD reader and in no way sophisticated. Took the car for a drive but was still really sluggish, like it was in limp mode. Then a mile or so up the road the MIL illuminated again. As i was heading home the car pretty much died and wouldnt rev above 2000rpm, along with the glowplug lamp flashing at me(at the same time as MIL was on).

Got it home and read the codes again and only getting P1237-Powertrain and P2004 again.

Any ideas? Could it point to the turbo as i did find a quote for a new turbo when i picked the car up at the auction. I was guessing the guy had got the quote and got rid of the car quick!

Hi
Try removing the turbo first mate. See how it looks, check for leeks in pipes. If its all gunked up give it a good clean with carbon cleaner (just pop in to halfords). You would be suprised how much it can help. Dan

Only joined and another problem, but i'm getting there slowly!

The car when i bought it(bought at an auction) had the emissions light constantly on and is very sluggish, almost as if the turbo isnt kicking in at all. I found a quote from Honda for a new turbo, which is why i think the guy before me had traded it in!! It also scared me a bit, but after reading up on here i'm swaying towards the EGR/IMRC valve, or frequency solenoid?

So far i've stripped all the bits off the inlet manifold and will be giving them a clean tomorrow at work as they're pretty gunked up. Is there anything that can be done with the IMRC valve to fix it when it goes, or is it just a case of getting a new one?

I've also purchased a full service kit, including the genuine fuel filter from Honda as i'm not sure what's fitted at the minute, plus could probably benefit from doing it all anyways.

Am i going down the right route here then? The previous posts i've read on here all seem to say the emissions light would come on every now and again, and isnt permanently on like mine.

EDIT: Just to add i put the code reader on the car and got the P2004, IMRC stuck open code

Have a look at these threads.

EVR valve
DMF

On your car there is only 1 EVR valve, at the rear of the engine, whereas on the facelift there are two, which makes it a little easier to check as you can just swap them round, I recall there were a few cases where this valve was the culprit.

If there is anyone you know with an Accord that you can maybe borrow the EVR for a quick test run or source one from a breakers, but then that is more money, but should be no more than around £50 (breakers) considerably more new.

Also if there is no cylinder filter sat on top of your EVR valve i,e been broken off, then that would also point to it being the culprit.

Don't read too much into those fault codes your getting at the moment, they will more than likely be secondary to the actual cause

Have you cleaned the imrc valve itself, if you have you haven't undone the butterfly valve have you?