What's new

Car alarm going off when it's been snowing or very cold

GAZB

Members
Reaction score
Car
HONDA ACCORD CTDI
Got a problem with my 2007 accord ctdi touring lately , every time it snows or the weather turns very cold it randomly sets the alarm off through the night

What's the health of your battery like?
Usually car alarms monitor the voltage. If there is a voltage drop it can set the alarm off.

How is your battery, chances are the battery voltage is dropping to the point the system detects this drop enough to trigger the alarm.
Cheers Pete

The accord alarms seem to have a mind of there own. Mine started behaving strangely when the battery in my fob was about to die.But has also played up when the main battery needed changing.

yeah as said, if the main battery voltage goes a bit low, a car alarm might "think" that someone is tampering with the car.

Also, if the battery in the alarm itself is old, then the alarm relies on the main battery, so you get double the reason for it to go off.

Additionally, if you have info alerts on start up for abs or vsa, this can also indicate a weak battery. This happened to me, took it to Honda dealer and they diagnosed a poor battery. Replaced under warranty. Never had these info alerts since.

Mines has started doing this intermittently, very annoying. Hope it's just the battery.

My VSA light started randomly staying on, then would go off for a week or 2. Would this point to a weak battery?

Thanks.

Mine tailgate stop working and every time after I disconnect the battery for few mins, then connect back on, tailgate works fine, and today it happen twice!! I was annoyed by this you have to get into the car and open from inside! By the way, I having my 6 years old battery is that also mean a weak battery? If so, I will get a new one tonight to save my trouble.

Yes think it is my battery , When its been left a day or so I get the VSA / ABS show up for a couple of seconds

Will the battery just need a mains charge or shall I get it replaced

Thanks

if the battery still starts the car every time then no real point charging it or replacing it

Blong91 said:
Mines has started doing this intermittently, very annoying. Hope it's just the battery.

My VSA light started randomly staying on, then would go off for a week or 2. Would this point to a weak battery?

Thanks.

GAZB said:
Yes think it is my battery , When its been left a day or so I get the VSA / ABS show up for a couple of seconds

Will the battery just need a mains charge or shall I get it replaced

Thanks
No harm in giving a maintenance charge esp., in this cold weather

freddofrog said:
if the battery still starts the car every time then no real point charging it or replacing it
Disagree with you there as a fully charged and healthy battery does make the whole experience different. Also it can cause all sorts of weird issues with hondas.

6 years is a long time and worth changing.

I went for ages on the original battery in my car. Once it went totally flat at a McDonalds while I was asked to wait in one of their bays. I had turned the engine off but left the CD-player on, they had to push me out and into a normal parking space, they let me bring the battery inside and put it on my charger for 30 minutes, after which it started the car. It was at that point that I decided to get a new battery. There's even a thread where I was prompted to buy a new battery from Holdcroft in November 2011 .http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/7361-charging-rates/#entry83306

So I don't agree, apart from not starting, I've never had any problems on my 2.4 petrol Accord ***ociated with an 8-year-old battery .....unless you're saying that it's one more reason not to buy a diesel :lol:

Guys, this is getting endless!! Bought a brand new battery for my missus honda stream as the alarm goes off during middle of the night! And since the new battery replaced, the alarm still went off!!

Anyone had any luck with this? Really annoying, going off completely randomly. Sometimes weeks apart, sometimes lots of times per night. My battery was reading a voltage of 13 after a short drive and the engine off, so battery seems okay.

IMO it's either a problem with one or more of the switches/sensors, or a problem with the batteries inside the alarm sections (latter based on my experience of this with a caravan alarm, and also the house alarm)

Blong91 said:
Anyone had any luck with this? Really annoying, going off completely randomly. Sometimes weeks apart, sometimes lots of times per night. My battery was reading a voltage of 13 after a short drive and the engine off, so battery seems okay.
Just to let you know what I've find the fault, which was the bonnet latch lock on my missus honda stream, if you disconnect the plug, then alarm won't goes of anymore, But the factory alarm will only allow car to lock all doors without flashing light, I'm going to take the bonnet latch and check and give it clean, if it's still not working properly, will find an other one to replace.

luckboy16138 said:
Just to let you know what I've find the fault, which was the bonnet latch lock on my missus honda stream, if you disconnect the plug, then alarm won't goes of anymore, But the factory alarm will only allow car to lock all doors without flashing light, I'm going to take the bonnet latch and check and give it clean, if it's still not working properly, will find an other one to replace.
Disconnect what plug? Can you post a picture please, driving me mad.

This might be completely unconnected but I had similar issues which have just started again.

A few months ago during a cold snap my alarm started going off during the night. Every time I reset the alarm it would go off again 10 minutes or so later. Around about the same time my VSA, ABS and engine management lights came.

The warning lights were intermittent and would normally go off after I turned the ignition off and on then drove over 10mph. After a battery charge everything seemed fine with no unexpected alarm activations or warning lights.

The warning lights have come back on and are now constantly on. I reckon it's due to this cold weather we're experiencing again and possibly a poor battery. There's been no alarm issues but I'll keep you updated once I give the battery a boost again!

Blong91 said:
Disconnect what plug? Can you post a picture please, driving me mad.
Is the lock itself and there is two pin connection behind the unit if you look down, but mine one is honda stream, I didn't look my accord though lol, but I think it's similar design, I took it out and see the censor has dirty black grease around, and I wipe them off, make sure when the hood lock down, the metal is in good contact with the sensor, which I test and it was, you could hear a click with the sensor too. Put everything back together and I haven't hear the alarm goes off when it's cold and wet. But I'll wait and see, it may be a bad sensor.

UPDATE

I left my car into a spark a week or two back; he removed or disabled the ultrasonics. Alarm has been completely fine since. This was the cover just in front of the front dome light.