What's new

Car not smooth

DJSR

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2i CTDI
Hi all,

In the past month or so the car has lost its smoothness when driving, it feels like something is rubbing from the front i can even hear a different kind of sound from the front maybe drivers side, could this be a bearing?? The sound gets worse on the motorway, theres no vibration just feels rough when driving, sorry for the crap diagnosis. There is also this knocking sound coming from the front when the car takes off or when i drop a gear and slow down. I've had the car on a ramp and had checked the shocks (no leaks), wishbones, toe arms, stabilizers, they are all fine. I had both driveshafts changed for after market ones (on the box i remember them saying its only guaranteed for 24k miles and i've done more than that). My instinct tells me its a front bearing.

Any idea's would be much appreciated.

Cheers

I had a front bearing go a while back. It was a dull drone more noticeable at speed. I didn't think it impacted on the overall drive, but I don't think it was badly gone, just on its way out. The knocking could be your anti-roll bar drop links. I'm ***uming that's what you mean when say you checked the stabilisers.

Check for splits in the drivers side engine mount, also lower rear mount , this especially gives rise to a knock when accelerating / decelerating.

Check the driveshafts where they slide into the hub, there will be a contact area where the shoulder of the CV joint butts up against the wheel bearing.
The area there should be clean and lightly lubed with some moly grease. not a lot just enough to lightly cover the areas that meet.
If there is corrosion or roughness there it will need to be cleaned off back to smooth metal first, both the CV and the bearing.

Cheers for all the replies.

The rough drive was indeed the driver side bearing, I took it to Honda and they said the car was faultless (talking out of their backside, i'm loosing faith in Honda Mechanics!)

With regards to the knocking, it seems that its the inner tie rod ends which connect to the steering rack, which i'm yet to replace, just waiting on the parts! But weirdling enough, when my local garage had the car on the ramp, they check the inner tie rod ends and when squeezing them and wobbling the wheel they couldnt quit tell, but after i left the garage, the knocking sound disappeared for a bit so i was thinking maybe they squeezed it back into place for a bit??

inner tie rods made no difference. greased driveshafts, no difference. very strange!

Mine has new everything.

Upper and lower control arms
Driveshafts
Inner and outer tie rods

Guess what?

I mean, knock knock....

Drives like a new'un hough.