What's new

Car starting problems and jerking sometimes when accelerating

cobanstine

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 53
Hey Guys hope you all are having a good relaxing Easter break!

I've noticed a couple of problems with my accord (2.2 2004).

Problem 1

The first issue is starting up not sure if it's the cold weather, but when starting I twist the ignition until the glow plug light goes off (yellow coils) then start it. It starts then it turns off then it takes me about 4 - 5 attempts to get the car started and going again.

Problem 2

Sometimes when accelerating from a cold start the car jerks quite aggressively for a few seconds when I'm accelerating, it's like there's some trapped air or something not sure

Any ideas guys

Sounds like lack of fuel like fuel pump seals or something. Never heard of it on the Accord though maybe someone else knows more.

How old is your fuel filter and is it the correct Bosch part?

Otherwise I suggest it may be a sticky EGR valve. Do you ever get an ECU warning light?

Sounds like FF mate or it needs priming if its a new one

Definitely the fuel filter. Only use a genuine Honda filter as a replacement unless you want to change it twice

Just for clarity, a 'genuine Honda' fuel filter for the pre-facelift 7th gen is made by Bosch. Here's a Honda dealer picture (click on image to make larger) to help you identify what it looks like... http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/genuine-honda-accord-diesel-fuel-filter-0305-p-745.html and it can quite easily be seen at the rear of the engine bay, fixed to the bulkhead toward the passenger side. If you don't have this one then do get it replaced, as many, many problems are caused by having an aftermarket one fitted.

Hey guys thanks for your responses!

I had a new fuel filter put in Jan, and it was a genuine one from Holdcroft Honda. I've done a good 500 miles since then. What do you think?

Check the priming bulb is hard and maybe drain the filter of any water?

I'm guessing you would have mentioned it, but any warning lights recently?

Was the car OK before the new fuel filter? And did the problem start soon after?

Has the EGR valve ever been cleaned or replaced?

I'm guessing you would have mentioned it, but any warning lights recently?

Was the car OK before the new fuel filter? And did the problem start soon after?

Has the EGR valve ever been cleaned or replaced?

Hi Jon

Once the engines started all lights that should go off do go off except VSA, Triangle and ABS (i'm gussing this is unrelated something to do with a sensor from my research)

Yeh cars been al right before new fuel filter, I've got faddy to remap it in November I think but been fine since last couple of days. If the EGR is off with the remap is it still in use? but besides that i don't think its ever been cleaned or replaced.

I think you'll find that your EGR valve is still in use, but with reduced function, so does need to be able to work freely without sticking. Maybe worth a clean anyway?

Hey Satnam, bring it over this week let's take a look mate.

Are you saying the problem has started right after you had the fuel filter done? Who fitted it?

Sounds like an injector problem to me...

+1. Especially the starting up problem... I had the exact same problem... And it kept getting worse and worse and worse... Until it stopped starting up completely until easy start was used.

Hey guys thanks for the posts, the problem started a while after fuel filter i got the fuel filter put in around Jan time. It's just starting up and the first 5 - 10 minutes of running when i get the hiccups but so far they not consistent. Fahad I'll try bring it down this weekend i should be back up. I'll give you a bell on saturday to see if your about

Fahad sorted it, so far no starting problems or jerking it looks like the fuel filter had some trapped air! Thanks Faddy!

Anytime dude, I owed you a favour anyway.