What's new

Car wont start

Hutchie17

Members
Reaction score
Car
04 Accord ctdi
Hi all was just wondering could you help me basicly I was driving along two days ago and the glow plug light started flashing,I lost power in the car,it started to jerk on and off and it cut out and wouldnt start again.since then I have found out that the station I was getting my diesel at has been laundering diesel.I changed the fuel filter today after I found that out and threw in some fresh diesel.When I tried to start the car today it started up for a second and cut out again.When the old fuel filter came out there was water frozen in the bottom of it.I was wondering would I have to bleed the system or what should I do??any advice would be a help. Thanks in advance

Oh mann... you must be the 5th person in the last couple of days asking the same question..

This cold weather isn't being too kind on our diesels is it.

I don't think the laundered diesel is your problem (although I would recommend switching to Shell V Power Diesel anyway - especially as it's a little thinner with better additives)

You simply need to prime and bleed your fuel filter, do it at least twice for good measure. Then switch the ignition on and off at least 3 times with 30 second intervals in between and the light will go out ***uming you've bled it properly.

Please please please use a genuine Honda filter.

How do i go about primine the filter mate?? if i opened the injectors and turned the key would that remove the air??

Ya i went to honda dealer and they gave me a bosh filter. Its an akward job changing it they didnt make it easy ha

There's probably a DIY in our DIY section mate, but really it's quite logical.

Locate the filter on the back of the bulkhead behind the airbox. Remove the engine top cover and possibly remove the airbox too to give you good clearance.

Remove the filter housing, just held on with 10mm bolts. You will see the black priming hand bulb. Remove the filter (you'll struggle with the 10mm bolts behind the filter - this is the reason many dealers don't bother and let the customer suffer as they're awkward to get to)

Install new filter and check the pipe routing is perfect and kink free. Use the clips Honda provide for pipe routing etc. Then prime it wth the hand bulb till it goes hard, then loosen the 10mm bolt on top of the filter to let the air escape. Once fuel seeps out, it's bled. However I would repeat this procedure at least once for good measure.

And that's it.

Hey got the car working this morning but had to head to work then so only got a chance to log on now to say thanks for the advice