What's new

Car wouldn't go in to gear...any ideas on a problem/solution?

gerard_finn200

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 Accord i-CTDi
Hey guys,

Parked up the car today to run into a shop, came back out, stuck it into first and drove off. As I lifted my foot off the clutch it felt quiet light and free, as soon as I pressed it to slip into second there was some sort of click in the pedal and the car wouldn't go into gear. Luckily I had space to pull in again so I turned the car off and re-started it, drove off as normal and there hasn't been any issue since on my 15 mile trip.

Something like this happened in my last A4 with a knocking sound around the clutch area and as soon as I started the car after giving it a rest the problem disappeared and I drove it on for another year until it was sold.

I'm hoping the same thing will happen here, but at the same time I don't want to neglect it incase it is the beginning of something more serious that might leave me stuck someday!

Any advice?

Probably the clutch cylinder has collapsed inside mate.

Could definitely be a failing cylinder, but I'd check the fluid level in the master cylinder first... if low, then topping-up and bleeding will be necessary, as you'll have got air in the system to get your symptoms. In any case, bleeding the clutch hydraulics would be cheap and (hopefully) simple, but I've never had to do this on a Honda. It is usually an easy task.

Perfect! I'll check it out tomorrow and see what the levels are at! Would it be advisable to take the cap off the filler and press the clutch a few times? Or will that make any difference?

Perfect! I'll check it out tomorrow and see what the levels are at! Would it be advisable to take the cap off the filler and press the clutch a few times? Or will that make any difference?
It won't make any difference to remove the cap, as it has a vent hole in it, to allow the fluid level to drop as/when necessary. Bear in mind that if an excessively low fluid level has caused your problem, then air must have got into the system... so the system will need to be bled. An excessively low level would be where the fluid level in the reservoir has actually reached the exit hole, not simply being at or just below the minimum level (as this would still allow the system to function reliably).

Had same issue about 100k ago changed gearbox fluid no problem since

Well I checked the fluid level yesterday and there is no problem there! The funny thing is, I've put up 170 odd miles since and there's no problem at all?! :huh: Not that I'm complaining!! I just find it strange..