What's new

CEL and no revs above 2000 - 2.2cdti

pauljdh

Members
Reaction score
Car
i-dtec auto tourer
Hi Ive just comeback from a 30 mile trip during which I lost power, threw the CEL and now can't rev past 2000rpm. Car is a 2.2cdti Tourer Sport with 134K and has been 100% up till now.

Last week I made an appointment at Holdcroft for s major service, as it was due and noted with them that the car would struggle at 3000 rpm whilst accelearating etc.

Couple of months ago I had a CEL but no symptoms and it just went away - this time tho I can't rev out past 2000. NO smoke visible, car idles nicely starts fine and fuel consumption still 49-50 on way home. Its just like it has a rev limiter fitted!

Im thirty miles from Holdcroft in Stoke but gonna consider getting it to them earlier than Ive booked it in - any ideas or advice in the meantime? Do you think its safe to drive etc, Id like Holdcroft to take a look but means an hours trip etc.

Thanks chaps

Paul

Hi Paul your car has gone into limp mode to protect the engine and it won't rev past this.
You need to get the codes read and would try not to drive the car into then

Thanks Brett - would you advise against making the trip over to Stoke in this condition? My local gagarge are good but are independents and stuggled to fit a fuel filter last year - dont want to mess around. NOt keen on my Derby Honda dealer either..

If you've had the fuel filter done within the last year and it was a genuine Honda part, then it's probably not that (although you can't rule it out completely). My next bet would be a stuck EGR valve..

I'd say it's fine to drive to Stoke as long as you can drive it safely.

As Fahad said it should be ok for the 30 mile trip to HH

Thanks Gents.....I'm off to Holdcroft tomorrow for a major service including the FF so hopefully that'll be it but we'll see.

It was serviced a year ago by an Indy garage using my oil, Honda filters etc. When I collected it the head tech said that they had a heck of a job with the FF and couldn't get the Honda part to fit so fitted a motor factor one... I wasn't happy but took the car. To be fair to them they offered to refund etc but they are a nice firm and done some great work on my wifes Citroen - and although I was suprised that they couldnt fit a fuel filter I didn't make a fuss. As Honda at that point really only had 1 diesel engine they must have seen dozens of these over the years with Accords and Civics etc etc buy ho hum.
The cars now done approx. 12K faultless miles since then (interim oil change also) except a CEL couple of months back and now this.

Looks like the great wise ones on this forum may be right after all about the criticality of the FF, but Ill report back after my service tomorrow.

By the way , this morning the car is driving normally again, albeit the CEL is still on but the rev. limiter is off.....

Thanks Chaps

In that case, I think it's more likely the filter..

+1 for FF as well then Paul if its an after market one.

Back from Holdcroft after my service - all good now...turned out a trim piece was blocking an intake and cauisng a low inlet boost fault code and then limp home etc....very reasonable price from HH and fresh oil and filters all round.

Just to add controversy - two Techs I spoke to there didnt hunk a non OEM FF is problematic, saying that Honda is preferable but the system isnt sensitive to other filters.

First time I visited HH and great service (bit slow) but very courteous and a great price too considering it was a main dealer major service.

Thanks Chaps.

Great result Paul thanks for the feedback

HH know their stuff, and I wouldn't normally argue.. and whilst many have happily used non OEM filters without issue.. quite a few have found that they do cause issues hence the reason we advise sticking to genuine Honda fuel filters on the diesel.

Glad it's sorted anyway.