What's new

Cheap diesel

What do you mean by cheap diesel I presume you mean bio or other ?

apart from "red diesel" there aint any cheap one!!!
Bio diesel...hmmm..interesting...however i dont think farmers do do that in this country..might be wrong

NEBITOMI i would not recommend Bio diesels in your car at all and red diesel is against the law.
I might close this thread as i can only see this leading to suggestions to get cheap diesel and imo this will only lead to breaking the law.I will let it go for now if this says within the law.

lol

For cheap diesel get one of these

makita%20cordless%20drill.jpg

And one of these

large-rectangular-washing-up-bowl-%5B4%5D-74-p.jpg

A little bit of imagination, and voila, cheap diesel.

Forgot to say, have you tried here? LINK

My friend said he got loads of cheap Diesel from there.

Biodiesel? In the car that throws a wobbly if you even think about using non-oem filters? That's a pretty brave move.

I'm guessing the 12p per litre doesn't include the duty you pay to the tax man on it?

Biodiesel? In the car that throws a wobbly if you even think about using non-oem filters? That's a pretty brave move.

I'm guessing the 12p per litre doesn't include the duty you pay to the tax man on it?

you can actually make about 2500 litres of the stuff before you need to declare it. My old A6 tdi loved the stuff and actually ran smoother on it (done about 15000 miles on bio), but seeing as the accord is common rail and very particular about fuel/filters, i haven't used it in the accord and dont think i ever will

I would love from the cash saving side of things, but would never use it on a modern diesel engine.

Ok, I didn't know about the 2500 L threshold.

Jake, does it cost much to set up? If I had an older diesel runaround I'd be interested in brewing it in a shed-chemistry, moonshine kind of way but I guess home-brew doesn't have all the detergents etc found in the forecourt stuff. I just wouldn't trust it in a modern diesel engine as they seem a bit temperamental, older diesels seemed a bit more bomb proof (but a lot more agricultural!)

Ok, I didn't know about the 2500 L threshold.

Jake, does it cost much to set up? If I had an older diesel runaround I'd be interested in brewing it in a shed-chemistry, moonshine kind of way but I guess home-brew doesn't have all the detergents etc found in the forecourt stuff. I just wouldn't trust it in a modern diesel engine as they seem a bit temperamental, older diesels seemed a bit more bomb proof (but a lot more agricultural!)

Sorry, just spotted this. Cost me around £300 to set up, but built all from scratch. I do soap tests etc, so ***urance there is no soaps left in the bio. Also do a 27/3 to help indicate a complete reaction from vegetable oil to biodiesel. Once converted, bio is a completely different substance to vegetable oil. Have been running a land cruiser amazon 4.2 on it with no problems for over 4 years too. Fine on a common rail car, as long as you know it's consistently good quality.

It's actually very good for the engine- the main reason they added 5% of bio to normal diesel at the pumps, is because at 5% bio increases engine lubricancy by 60%. It's the main substitute for sulphur when diesel went sulphur free

Couple of OLD pictures of the set-up. Really must take some new ones.

Jakes029.jpg

P1040533.JPG

P1030009.JPG

I went to see a mates bio plant, it didn't look anywhere near as neat and tidy as that! Plus whilst it was running on a cycle we were standing chatting, the bottom hose burst and hot oil went everywhere :D . He pointed to the little 'step' in front and said "I put that there because last time this happened it flooded my entire garage." :huh:
Anyway, I don't pretend to know much about it, you need to be a plummer/heating engineer and have a degree in chemistry from what I can tell.

I would watch the cylinder and immersion integrity...those things aren't meant to be upside down :lol:

Hmm if you laced it with some Jack Daniels would that make it a Premium Bio Diesel :lol:

I went to see a mates bio plant, it didn't look anywhere near as neat and tidy as that! Plus whilst it was running on a cycle we were standing chatting, the bottom hose burst and hot oil went everywhere :D . He pointed to the little 'step' in front and said "I put that there because last time this happened it flooded my entire garage." :huh:
Anyway, I don't pretend to know much about it, you need to be a plummer/heating engineer and have a degree in chemistry from what I can tell.

Hehe, there are several variations of these plants! This is the most common GL processor. It runs at atmospheric pressure so no risk of the tank imploding or exploding, and incorporates a methanol recovery system.

No technical expertise required- just a lot of time and research. I'm a mere IT geek!

J

I would watch the cylinder and immersion integrity...those things aren't meant to be upside down :lol:

Thankfully it hasn't moved in around 5years, so seems okay. This design is not original by any means and has had no reported problems (thank goodness!!)

Hmm if you laced it with some Jack Daniels would that make it a Premium Bio Diesel :lol:

Hehe I like your thinking. After all the time taken to remove the methanol after processing, I wouldn't want to then add ethanol! I have often wondered if I could turn the processor in to a brewery, though..!

I was thinking more of the immersion heater springing a leak a dribbling through the electrics. Pretty rare, but I have seen it a few times.

Some good info there, Jake. I'm trying to sell the idea to Mrs Matt for her next car. Her dad was always doing crazy experiments in his shed so she's used to a bit of mad scientist shenanigans!