What's new

Check System

padraig

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Ex i-CTDi
When I started my car this morning the check system message came up under the spedo and the Orange engine light on the top left. Turned it on and off intermittently, drove it, but light still on. Any ideas?

obd reader is the order of the day bud.... you need to check the dtc stored on your ecu.

to be sure you get the right diagnosis i suggest you pay a honda gargae a visit. some fault codes are dealer specific and most garages may just end up guessing as the the cause of the fault. sometimes its worth the extra pennies!

Never got around to getting OBD Reader Dan, on the list though. I'm going to my local dealer tomorrow anyway on other business so I can hook it up to the system then.

Funny thing tho, the light just went off. I was at the pumps and put about 30 euro in, turned on the car, and the light was gone. I read in the manual that if the car recently ran out of fuel that the light could turn on (in the diesels) and to refuel to remove the check system light. But my car hasn't been even nearly out of fuel in ages, I mean the fuel light didn't even turn on. Strange.

Not a VSA 66-1 problem Pepster. Had that before, and got it fixed haha.

I think for the 66-1 your VSA light would be on. Sounds like Padraig was seeing the MIL.

That's right Faddy, the VSA light was on and I had a VSA warning when my VSA module failed, this warning was totally different. What's the MIL? On mobile version so harder to do searches and such.

Padraig when you start this in the morning do you wait for the glow plug light to go out? I have a petrol and sometimes forget and once started up my dads straight away and this check system message flicked on... he had the 66-1 problem which we fixed, but never cleared the code for it, yet the VSA light is out, I noticed if you dont wait for the glow plug light to go out you get a quick flick of the Check System warning message... I think it needs proper diagnostics to clear the codes.. im sure a snap on one will do fine.

MIL=Malfunction Indicator Lamp

I do wait a short time before turning over the engine and waiting for the glow plug light to go out. I sometimes see the check system light flash on ignition but I read that has something got to do with child safety seats ISOFIX or something like that.

Padraig the orange light is the MIL. It will normally only indicate an issue with the engine management side, not brakes, VSA or safety features.

You need to have the code read to understand the issue, no point guessing.

I do wait a short time before turning over the engine and waiting for the glow plug light to go out. I sometimes see the check system light flash on ignition but I read that has something got to do with child safety seats ISOFIX or something like that.

Yes to add, all your warning lights should light up/flash when your turn ignition on. This is a bulb test and used by MOT checkers to make sure there are no errors with say your ABS.
I know this as my CRX once failed for this, which was a fauly ABS sensor.

I went into the main dealer this morning and they hooked it up to the machine. They told me that it's related to the glow plug relay or the plugs themselves. Didn't cost anything to check so that was sound of them! Anyone come across an issue with glowplugs before?

Not had the issue myself, but the reason your light went out I suspect is because you ahd started the car 3 times since for more than 30 seconds. If you do this and the car doesnt pick up the fault again in these 3 starts, then the light goes out. Sounds like it picked a fault up, but I would wait to see if it shows that fault again before you spend money replacing glow plugs and relays.

PS good of your dealer to check for free, my local dealer wanted £90+vat just to plug it in!!!!!!

My CHECK SYSTEM light went on yesterday and lost power...I drove for 10 min and turned off the engine....after a few min i turned on the engine again, got power back but light still was on...I read somwhere that you should give time and drive for about 3 days for the system to recognise that the system is back to normal...Can this be so??

Thnaks

MM

Depends on the fault. Have you read the error code from the ecu?

You need an obd reader... a sound investment as most places charge you more than they cost for them to do it.

If its an abs issue you need the Honda hds or snap-on system.... which is a garage job.

You need an obd reader... a sound investment as most places charge you more than they cost for them to do it.

If its an abs issue you need the Honda hds or snap-on system.... which is a garage job.

Thanks M8...Nothing else lit up...No ABS no Glow plug....Just the CHECK SYSTM light....it even lights on when i just turn the key to first possition with engine swiched off!!!

MM.

Thanks M8...Nothing else lit up...No ABS no Glow plug....Just the CHECK SYSTM light....it even lights on when i just turn the key to first possition with engine swiched off!!!

MM.
Is ther a specific make i need to buy for the obd reader...I mean does it have to be specically for ACCORD?? can I get one from EBay??

Any obd 2 compliant one should do... if you have an android phone get a Bluetooth one and download Torque.

My CHECK SYSTEM light went on yesterday and lost power...I drove for 10 min and turned off the engine....after a few min i turned on the engine again, got power back but light still was on...I read somwhere that you should give time and drive for about 3 days for the system to recognise that the system is back to normal...Can this be so??

Thnaks

MM

Hey Guess what???

It did go off after 3 days!!! I guess this means SYSTEM is back to normal...Or isn't it??

MM

The code is still stored in the car's memory, but the fault condition has gone for now atleast.

It's still worth buying a reader (use the search button for "obd reader"). That way you can have an idea what to expect.