What's new

Checking timing belt?

Mellenchip86

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 ES
Hi everyone. When I bought my car it had it written in the service book that it had a new belt at 108k miles. I've got no receipts for this. The auxiliary belts are scrap and cracking. This makes me think it's probably not been done. Is there any way to inspect the belt?

The timing belt could have been changed but they decieed not to change the aux belts. You can take the timing cover off and have a look if you must.

Could you ring the garage it looks like the seller was using and ask if the job is on their system?

I might well try ringing Honda. The belt was done at 108k by Honda and its only done 18k since then. These aux belts look like original parts. Just seems odd that they would put knackered belts back on. That's the only reason I'm doubting it really.

I'm not sure a visual inspection of the timing belt would make you any the wiser. But if Honda did it, it will be on their system.

Any mention in the service book or receipts of whether they changed the water pump at the same time? I've rung Honda before and been quoted a fixed price of £210 just for the belt. Start adding in the water pump and aux belts and it's getting into £400+ territory. Seeing as she only cost me £650 over 35k miles ago...

I've mentioned before I paid total £440 for everything to be changed.
Timing belts
Balance shaft
Auxiliary belts
Water pump
Coolant

The only record of the belt being changed is it being hand written in the service stamp for 108k miles. No mention of water pump. The car only cost me £450 and I've sepent that again on parts since then having replaced all of the front suspension components, apart from struts. Starting to feel like a never ending list. I might just wait until it dies and buy another for pennies. Air conditioning stopped working again today so I'm not feeling much love for her today! Lol