What's new

Clicking Brake

Scrambler

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 2.2 EX
Alright guys, I've recently noticed that there's a single knock / loud click from the front when I apply the brakes. I thought it might be a caliper having worked loose from when I changed the pads over a few months ago, but I've had the wheels off today and they seem OK. Knock seem to come from front left, but it sounds like it's a little closer in towards the middle than the brakes themselves.

Anyone got any pearls of wisdom?

Cheers
bob

Rob mate this could be a number of things like brakes or ball joints.I think your best bet is have a good look at all possibles first.
What mileage is on the car.
Does this clicking happen when the car is moving and when parked up.Its small things mate we need to no so members can have an ideal to go on.

Hi Brett, cars got 60,000kms on it (what's that - about 40,000 in real money?). Noise only happens when the car is moving. I press the brake pedal and there's the knock / click. If I press the brake again, no sound until I've accelerated a tiny bit, which was why I thought caliper - you know, maybe sort of rocking, so click when I brake as it shifts forward and then if I accelerate a fraction it moves back, ready to knock again next time I brake. I know it's not the greatest explanation, but it just really seems as if something's kind of rocking and that's causing the knock.

Cheers
Rob

Hi Brett, cars got 60,000kms on it (what's that - about 40,000 in real money?). Noise only happens when the car is moving. I press the brake pedal and there's the knock / click. If I press the brake again, no sound until I've accelerated a tiny bit, which was why I thought caliper - you know, maybe sort of rocking, so click when I brake as it shifts forward and then if I accelerate a fraction it moves back, ready to knock again next time I brake. I know it's not the greatest explanation, but it just really seems as if something's kind of rocking and that's causing the knock.

Cheers
Rob
With that mileage i wouldn't have thought any joints are worn.I would say its more than likely the brakes.It may be the pads are sticking.I would suggest taking the pads out and inspect for uneven where and give everything a good clean with wire brush.Also regrese the back of the pads and see if that cures the problem.

is it lots of clicks or just one when you brake?

were they genuine pads or pattern parts i've had pattern pads where they are the tiniest bit smaller and move up and down in the carrier

Good question Paul i didn't think of that one :)

Are you a heavy braker or a light one? try giving the car a "brake" test on your first 1/4 mile, i.e take it up 30 and put them on hard, this will help bed the pads in, and reasure you that they are working. Make sure you are not being followed at the time. I do it every time I go out in mine.

The pads are pattern, but they've been in for a few months so should be well bedded in by now. It's just one click and tends to be more noticable with light braking, but that's probably because I'm driving slower. Will try the hard braking bit tomorrow though, just in case. I think if I've got time tomorrow I'll pop the caliper off and see if the pads are wibbling about on the carrier (nice tip, cheers). Well I've got a few things to check tomorrow now, will let you know hwo I get on, (***uming I've got time to check 'em, that is).

Nice one, You lot are a mine of info!

Cheers
bob