What's new

Clicking noise on start up

gul55

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 ictdi
Hi guys, I'm new here. It took me a while to find this site as I had the THAOC bookmarked and from time to time I'd check to see if the website was back up again (it just got taken off the face of the Earth!). Anyway, after a bit of searching I found this site and I was happy to find out a lot of the guys from the old site were behind this one.

To the point now, I've had my car about 9 months now (2.2 ictdi) its been a cracking car. However up until a couple of weeks ago, the car has been struggling start first thing in the morning, or if its been parked for a while. Before it literally started on the turn of the key (after coil light disappeared) but now what happens is that I need to keep the key turned for a couple of seconds and I'm greeted by a clicking sound and then it eventually fires up. I initially thought that it might be the battery (because recently the temperatures have been quite low), but when I went to the local motorfactor's to get the battery checked, the reading came out fine. Voltage was good and under cranking, it read over 600. The guy told me the battery was not the problem and said that it may have something to do with the starter motor because of the clicking noise. Has any one had this problem on thier diesel Accord? I'd be happy if anyone shed me some light before I took it in for a diagnostic at the garage.

welcome along mate that sounds like the starter motor but iv not heard of this before as an issue

When my battery died years ago, it would not start and I just had the clicking. When the battery had heated up a little it would click a bit and then start but the battery was still goosed. When it wouldnt start I initially didnt think it was the battery as all the lights where on as normal and just had the clicking. The diesel needs a good few CCA to start up especially on a cold day so my money is still on your battery.

It's your battery mate. Actually quite common on the ictdi when the battery cells start to weaken. The symptoms normally point people to the fuel filter or something like that, and battery checks always suggest the battery is fine but a new battery always cures it. If the battery is 5 years or older, just have it changed for a new Honda item.

Welcome along.

Just to add to the above, if you can maybe post up a video of the sound, it might be easier to confirm what the issue is

it all depends what the clicking you describe sounds like. could well be the starter motor but generaly the car wouldnt start if you are getting a click from the motor, its due to there being too little voltage to the holding and pulling coils inside the electromagnet of the motor. would need to hear it for a definitive answer.

I went round to my mates garage today so that I could show him the problem with my car. After hearing the noise , he said it was the starter motor. Now when I came home to check for the prices, I was hocked to see that cost around £300!

Yes the clicking noise is your starter motor, but it's doing that because there sometimes isn't enough charge in your battery to turn the motor! The clicking is the starter solenoid.

Man I thought we went over this :lol: