What's new

Clutch and Flywheel going?

ally

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 ivtec
Hi all,

Ive just realised ive potentially fcuked my car and arrive here in a panic due to having to spend alot of money that I dont have right now.
Basically I've had a judder when pulling away in 1st and an occassional squeal (for about a year or two). There is that random click on the clutch pedal too, been there for as long as I can remember.
I changed the drive belt but the squeal and judder still seem to visit, reminds me of my mother in law. I figured out how to work round this by pulling away slower, adjusting the clutch/accelarator ratio.

Now a few weeks ago I noticed while pulling away at traffic lights (in boy racer mode) that as I entered into 2nd gear and put my foot down the revs went up, the sound effect was the usual but the speed didnt go up as much (the old lady in the punto was still next to me, lol). I put it down to possibly wheelspin or wet weather as Im running budget tires right now. Taking my foot off the gas and back on seemed to sync things back up.
Basically ive noticed it more and more as I experiment and it only happens when I push the accelarator as far as it goes and as quickly as I can. Ive also noticed it more on harsher driving uphill.
I've been messing about with it and whilst I was on the motorway today, doing 60mph in 5th gear, I pushed the accelarator down as far as it went, it did the same. The revs went right up while the speed increase didnt match and when I took my foot off the gas it kind of jerked and steadied itself.

So after finally getting fed up ive come home to google the ***** out of myself. It looks like clutch slipping. If you abuse it apparently you possibly knacker the flywheel too.

What I can confirm is if I drive the car smoothly, not taking it past 2500 revs in any gear, the kind that would make my dad proud, the car is fine. Its smooth, you wouldnt even know it has an issue. However, as you probably know, Vtec should not be treated in this manner, its unfair and a basic human rights violation which is why I need to sort it asap.

The cars is approaching 91k
is a 2006 2.0 Petrol

Can anyone advise further?
Im looking at the Genuine clutch kit from Cox Honda for just under £180. Some threads here suggest I can get it for £150 but not sure where from? For the life of me I cant find the flywheel for the CL7, the diesel versions price has already prompted an underwear change.
Is the flywheel likely to be ruined too?
Any advise on costings, part sourcing (for flywheel) would be appreciated.

Give honda holdcroft a call they will give you discount if you mention forum member the clutch seems to be slipping under load. The clutch noise is due to clutch pedal and master cylinder look around on forum for post I have made regarding that, as for flywheel when clutch is removed then flywheel can be inspected for damage or you can buy and return if not needed if its crucial to do a first time fix.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Your car has a standard single mass flywheel, and they don't normally need changing. Once the clutch is off have the mechanic grind off any uneven patches and get it to a nice smooth face.

Thanks Fahad, I will make him aware.
Its an independent garage that i'm going to use, the mechanic knows his stuff and has been in the game a long time. He hasn't done one of these himself before so he checked on some computer system they have and said the job will take 7-9 hours. HH Honda have said 5.5-6 hours roughly to do the job.
My mechanic is quoting me bottom £220 -£300, saying it all depends on seized bolts and or other issues he might face on the day.
Are there any tips I can take to him, maybe another thread somewhere that can make his life easier thus making the hit on my pocket easier.

Also Thanks Honda_Saj, I've ordered he clutch kit and MTF3 £totaling 167.99 from HH, should be here for Friday IA

Clutch time is 6-7hrs

Solid flywheel as mentioned, just clean up with a roloc disc. check for hot spots on the surface and if bad get it refaced. Last thing you want is a warped flywheel. Though usually they're OK with a clean up.

Thanks Salim. Hopefully its not already warped and the mechanic can easily grind it even/reface it.
Just to add, i thought about purchasing the flywheel from HH and then returning it if not needed but HH confirmed they wont take a return, its also priced at £378 from them.
Im also not sure of the discount they give TA members as their site is selling the clutch kit for the same price to the general public. I paid £151.19 which is the same on their site...
https://www.hondaparts247.co.uk/collections/honda-accord-7th-generation-2003-2007/products/genuine-honda-accord-2-0-petrol-3-piece-clutch-kit
Not fussed to be honest as its still a good price for the £167.99 total which includes 2litres mtf3 and free delivery.

You need to let them know you are forum member site they're can apply discount, clutch on accord is not an easy job unfortunately.

Yep, they confirmed its their site. I did mention im a TA forum member but price was still same. A good price anyway. Maybe they give free delivery to TA members?
I got the parcel this afternoon and ordered around 5pm on wednesday so not bad service. Now just need to get the clutch fitted

Great stuff keep us posted clutch was already discounted by the way.

Mine has done 115k on original clutch and it gets a good thrash at times

Thats some good mileage on the original clutch.
I was trashing mine constantly so its my fault really but its at 91k so its had a good run. It just cant be helped with the vtec. Funny thing is car still drives fine but i just cant thrash it anymore.
Its probably a blessing as im driving normal now and saving petrol lol

Does the new clutch kit need bedding in or can i vtec straight out the garage with the new clutch? :)

Mine get loads of red line when I'm in the mood, unless you fit exeddy clutch you can run straight out, personally I would drive gently for few miles to make sure all is ok

Definately. Especially being on the ramp for 6 odd hrs best to let the car warm up first. Il be driving gentle for a week or two and then take for a 'test' drive

Quick update.
Thats the clutch in. My usual mechanic was not available this week so i approached another reputable garage who quoted £250 for the job. Told me it would be a full day job but they didnt realise the extent of it and called me back later in the day saying they need to keep it overnight, so would have charged more but had already agreed the price ☺.
Its been in for a few days now. Had a funny rubber burning smell after the first few uses but that seems to have calmed down/gone now.
Im hoping thats the last of any issues for a while.

Glad you back on road

sent using tapatalk