What's new

Clutch gone

Mallo

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord EX CTDI '06
Hi all,

Just going up a steep hill in 6th using cruise control and the clutch slipped and the cruise control automatically switched itself off. Booted it up another hill and same thing - revs rise then accelerate.

The car has done 67k and I've had it since the end of June and 55k. I bought it through the approved used scheme - will I get any cash back do you think or am I going to have to stump up £575 and grin and bear it?

The service guy I spoke to about it said they'll have to inspect the clutch once disassembled for faulty items and then tell the warranty company what they find.

Bit gutted as I've only had the car a few months.

Cheers

Simon

Simon, worst case you pay the £585... however Honda have been known to approve some claims or subsidise.. if you bought it under a proper Honda scheme with some warranty and they can prove it's a manufacturing defect.. you might get lucky.

Sorry to here that Simon but im afraid its very common on the accord diesel as you probably are aware.
What does the warrant cover hence how long and what mileage is covered.
I would say the clutch will be fine and the pressure plate will be gone.So it is a faulty part and you should be covered.

Fingers crossed for you Simon,

Also depends on who the warranty is with, but it sounds quite promising that the dealer is not just making you pay without the option of trying to claim.

Best of luck

Cheers guys,

The warranty is with Honda as I bought it through their approved used scheme from a dealer. Fingers crossed Brett that it is just the pressure plate. Will let you know what I find out - it's booked in on Thursday for inspection as that was the soonest they had a courtesy car available (let's hope it's not too small as I'm going to have to do 125 miles a day in it!).

Simon

Just to add. I recently had my clutch done as it began slipping. My miledge was around 77k and initially I thought it maybe a faulty pressure plate but the technician at HH said it was due to wear and tear. The pressure plate itself was fine. He also confirmed it was the original clutch and flywheel from Factory. He just said the friction plate was beginning to wear as expected. In all fairness the slip went away but I changed as a matter of caution.

So make sure you get some pics of all the components in order to put your claim in. Hope that helps

Just had word from the garage that it needs dismantling to look at the problem, so they're taking it apart.

It's the garage I bought the car from and I only bought it 4 1/2 months ago - I was wondering if the sale of goods act kicks in for secondhand cars : this is one of the terms :-

during the first six months:

The consumer returns the goods in the first six months from the date of sale and requests a repair or replacement or a partial refund. In that case, the consumer does not have to prove the goods were faulty at the time of sale. It is ***umed that they were. If the retailer does not agree, it is for the retailer to prove that the goods were satisfactory at the time of sale. This comes from Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002, derived from EU Directive 1999/44/EU which became Clauses 48A to 48F inclusive of the Sale of Goods act in April 2003
from http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights

This is if the Honda warranty doesn't cover it.

Since I use the cruise control all the time I think it might be the switch issue. I'll wait and see...

Simon

The garage rang - simply wear and tear - £585 not covered by warranty.

Just had a word with consumer helpline and it's a grey area so the best I can hope for is a goodwill gesture on behalf of the dealer. I still think after only 4 1/2 months it's pretty lame.

Simon

i would ask for a 50/50 settelment. yes it should last longer than 4 months... but it is a wear and tear item and they dont know how its been driven.

if your local to HH then i would advise using them B)

How have they determined that it is wear and tear? What is the condition of the pressure plate and friction plate?

as above find out if the friction plate is worn or not. if its not worn than wear and tear it isn't and its plausible to argue faulty.

Also agree if the clutch plate is not worn and its the pressure plate self adjusted itself to the max then it may be classed as a faulty component if your lucky.
This issue i believe is covered in the 3 year warranty of a new car.I think you should get the proof if its there and argue your case.Its a known fact that the pressure plat is the problem because of the amount of torque of the engine to fail.One last thing is your car remapped if so that would rule out any warranty claim if it is found.

Mallo just found this it may help look at the part that says 12-month Honda Happiness guarantee

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/used/whybuy/

They have this clause though:

"The Honda Approved Used Car has developed a fault (being a mechanical fault or defect in materials or workmanship on the car) and such fault is apparent to the Dealer (acting reasonably);"

No mention of wear and tear being covered.

67K is not unreasonable for a clutch to go - so if the pressure plate is OK, then it looks like you are goosed - sorry mate.

Thanks for all the advice,

It's bound to be ready today so when they ring I'll confirm the friction plate was worn and still try and get some goodwill gesture from them - I'm due for another service in 4 months so they would lose out on that if I felt really put out.

Shy bairns get nowt as they like to say up here...

i would ask for a 50/50 settelment. yes it should last longer than 4 months... but it is a wear and tear item and they dont know how its been driven.

if your local to HH then i would advise using them :D

I think we can guess!! in 6 and c/c going up a steep hill????

Got the car back and the bite point is so much lower than it was - admittedly knowing the difference, the old clutch was gone. All confirmed by garage.

The one thing is the pedal is a lot harder to operate - will it wear in a bit or should I get it adjusted?

I'll never make a negotiator - paid the £585, but I was expecting to pay for fluids and didn't.

Thanks for the advice all.

Got the car back and the bite point is so much lower than it was - admittedly knowing the difference, the old clutch was gone. All confirmed by garage.

The one thing is the pedal is a lot harder to operate - will it wear in a bit or should I get it adjusted?

I'll never make a negotiator - paid the £585, but I was expecting to pay for fluids and didn't.

When i had mine changed at HH the clutch felt easier to be honest.On your receipt does it say new fluid and clutch release bearing.
Not to worry you but it may just be the newness and where its self in.

take it back, pedal should be nice and soft, obviously a little resistance but not too much. If anythng it should be softer. Whats the colour and level on the clutch fluid reservoir?

I'd be surprised if they haven't done the release bearing but then you never know.. Agreed with the others, have the clutch fluid done properly.

Spoke to the technician who carried out the work - he didn't really notice anything when he test drove it. He would have to test it again and I really need the car for work, so it's not going to be easy. I've got a local guy here in Berwick who really knows his stuff, so I'll get him to have a look at it first.

Hi,

Sorry to divert the course of this thread, but could someone explain to me the relationship between the possible clutch slips and the cruise control?

Thanks,

Ross.

Ross the cruise control disengage switch sits under the clutch pedal.. If it's not adjusted correctly from the factory (quite common) then it has the effect of 'riding' the clutch as it leaves some play between the pedal and the top position of the switch.

Over time this weakens the pressure plate and forces it to gradually adjust its self-adjusting mechanism down to the last setting.. the net effect of this is that even though your friction plate might be like new, the pressure plate cannot exhert enough pressure to mate it to the flywheel, especially when there is a lot of torque being pushed through it.. causing the slip.

Is that a definate known cause, as i was leaning towards the clutch is generally weak and slips slightly under the torque this sets off the self adjuster.

Sal it's a definite known cause, but not the only cause if that makes sense. This is why Holdcroft Honda (and hopefully all other dealerships) check the position of the pedal switch as part of the clutch install.