What's new

Clutch Replacement developments

Jon_G

No Longer Active
Reaction score
Car
2005 Tourer i-CTDi
As a member of the Civinfo forum, I have been following with interest several threads on that site concerning CG Motorsport and their continuing clutch developments... their new 8-paddle clutch is claimed to be able to hold high torque levels while not suffering from the judder present on previous 5 and 6-paddle versions. There is also now a SMF option.

I am not making recommendations, as I haven't had the chance to experience a car fitted with any of these things. But I am interested in replacing my slightly slippy clutch before getting a remap. The official thread can be found here... http://www.civinfo.com/forum/cg-motorsport/ and there is also an older, but ongoing thread here... http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines-transmission/83869-cg-motorsport-5-paddle-clutch.html where members have been discussing the options with each other and, more recently, a representive of CG Motorsport.

I can imagine that TA members will find these threads interesting, particularly those with slipping clutches and/or remaps.

Yep, very curious about the new SMF solution. To get the full stage 2 experience, I really need to start saving.
ph34r.gif

I'm very surprised how they come with new solutions and new versions of their products. Well done.

Good info Jon this will make some good reading mate and help our members.

I probably should have mentioned that these clutches are specifically for the Honda 2.2 i-CTDi motor, but hopefully that was obvious.

Maybe if there's enough interest within TA, then CG Motorsport might make the same discounts available here?

interesting kit for ours ctdi :rolleyes: I replaced my clutch around 30k ago, so no slips so far, but in case it will start again ( touch the wood :p ) I know what to go for ;-)

Definitely as interesting bit of development. I don't think the standard clutches Honda provide are up for the job long term.

The only thing that puts me off the paddle clutch is the potential judder or stick pedal. However they are claiming its been resolved, will keep a close eye on this.

I tuned a Civic with Stage 2 EGR OFF just last week that had their new 8 paddle clutch, it was one of the first they'd done.

Definitely a substantial improvement over the 6 paddle, much smoother and quieter and not as snatchy.. Not quite as good as OEM but I think as close as you'll get.

but as we all knows the problem is with pressure plate not clutch disc, so maybe it's possible to use oem clutch disc with cg-motorsport pressure plate :unsure:

I believe they do an uprated OEM clutch anyway although I don't know anyone that has bought one.

it all depends what you expect from your clutch, if you want just have peace of mind then you'll go with uprated oem, if you want more torque and future modifications then you'll go with paddle clutch

There's been a discussion regarding "uprated OEM". CG Motorsport deny that it's uprated and therefore is OEM. Or maybe some consider the 325 version to be an uprated OEM?