What's new

CLUTCH SLIP!

dl0205

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CTDI
First time I have had a chance to drive the car properly today after having the service carried out and fixing the EVR Valve problem, then low and behold the clutch is now starting to slip (3rd and 4th gear) so as you can imagine I'm not best pleased.

I'll see if there is a issue with the cruise control (any advice welcome) but as it's covered 50k I'm thinking it's the clutch.

Just annoying that with servicing / insuring / fixing EVR Valve plus MOT the car has cost me the best part of £1100 this past week and it looks like I'll be paying that for a new clutch replacement. :(

When it rains...

Unfortunately it's part of the course of diesel Honda ownership and just once again proves, tuned or not, these cars will suffer the dreaded clutch slip. Personally I'd see how long you can live with it before you get totally hacked off.. and then I'd just stick in a CG Motorsport paddle clutch, and whether you tune it or not, at least you'll have the peace of mind to know the clutch will probably outlive the car.

I was kind of thinking along those lines. Are the CG Motorsport clutches any heavier / snappier than the original plate? Also do you still need the alignment tool when installing? I ***ume you do.
Cheers

I was kind of thinking along those lines. Are the CG Motorsport clutches any heavier / snappier than the original plate? Also do you still need the alignment tool when installing? I ***ume you do.
Cheers

I had the same problem and it didn't go away after the clutch change. It needed the Flywheel changing too. Mine cost £312 for the DMF and £580 (Honda Happiness) for the clutch. The DMF didn't take them long to replace. Apparently 3 bolts and did it for free after I supplied the DMF. They wanted £800 for the DMF alone.

I had the same problem and it didn't go away after the clutch change. It needed the Flywheel changing too. Mine cost £312 for the DMF and £580 (Honda Happiness) for the clutch. The DMF didn't take them long to replace. Apparently 3 bolts and did it for free after I supplied the DMF. They wanted £800 for the DMF alone.
Hi Ben
I guess that was at JCB Honda, so was the total cost of the job including labour £892? How do you go about getting the Honda Happiness price?

I think they have stopped doing this on clutches typical.
As Fahad said go for the paddle clutch set up

dont just throw it away, mines been slipping if I boot it in 3rd/4th now for over 35K miles. its not going to spontaneously fall apart. just drive with a little mechanical sympathy and IMHO and experience it will be fine for ages yet.

I'm going to drive mine till it fails completely. TBH if I get another 18 months out of it the car will be worthless( will have covered ~ 225K by then) and will be punted out for bits and I'll move on. If it fails before then then I'll see where I am financially and make a call then.

Ian

I think they have stopped doing this on clutches typical.
As Fahad said go for the paddle clutch set up
Yeah your right typical. I may go down the paddle route but have been contacted by the garage that carried out the service I just had, I've let them know I had some issues with their work i.e coincidental EVR valve failure and the possibility the clutch was slipping when they serviced it and their failure to pick it up. I see if they come back with a price.

dont just throw it away, mines been slipping if I boot it in 3rd/4th now for over 35K miles. its not going to spontaneously fall apart. just drive with a little mechanical sympathy and IMHO and experience it will be fine for ages yet.

I'm going to drive mine till it fails completely. TBH if I get another 18 months out of it the car will be worthless( will have covered ~ 225K by then) and will be punted out for bits and I'll move on. If it fails before then then I'll see where I am financially and make a call then.

Ian
I may end up continuing to drive for a few thousand miles This is all dependant on the price replace.

The best thing about the CG paddle setup is that its essentially based on the standard Honda design but with a better pressure plate and paddles cut out of the friction disc for better grip.

The pedal action is no heavier and really the only thing you'll feel is some initial judder as it bites on initial lift off but I'm told this gets a lot better as the clutch beds in. I think it's a small price to pay for peace of mind personally.

Cheers Faddy I remember reading somewhere that there was a bit of judder