What's new

Clutch Worn Out?

jardinec

Members
Reaction score
Car
Tourer 2.2 cdti exec
Hi Chaps,

Search broken, but I just wanted to get your opinion on my clutch problem.

Car is the 2.2cdti tourer with approx 95k miles.

In 3rd and 4th with the foot to the floor the revs climb from 2000rmp onwards but the power doesnt reach the wheels.

All other gears are pulling fine, likewise if I am gentle with the accelerator its not noticeable. It was worse the past few weeks when the temps were way below 0.

My dad says he tested the clutch by dumping it at high revs in 2nd gear and the engine stalled so its fine - but i am convinced its the clutch.

Having just decided to keep the car for the foreseeable future (I mean what could i replace it with ;) ) I want to get this sorted properly - my only other issue in 2.5 years has been a blocked fuel filter and I managed to sort that myself with help from THOAC last year, its the best car i've owned so help me get her working again.

Also, if its is the clutch, how much £££'s are we talking?

Thanks

just read the other thread in the section.

Has anyone had this problem, replaced the clutch and all was fine? or is it always a full monty DMF replacement too?

I am now *edited* my pants at the though of a £1k+ bill ;)

DMF replacements are rare, if the DMF is not needed it will cost £595 under the honda happiness scheme. Your symptoms suggest this is the normal pressure plate issues and your dads test would not show this problem as its not the normal common clutch slip.

Here you go fella have a look at the link.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/1897-how-long-has-your-clutch-lasted/

Had exactly the same symptoms, new clutch fitted a couple of weeks ago, problem solved. I sadly needed a new DMF along with a new offside driveshaft. There was some wear in the driveshaft splines which, according to my mechanic, could have been caused by the DMF wear. Hopefully your bill will be nothing like mine.

There are examples of DMF's needing (I use the word needing loosely) replacing but as Andy has said, it's just a clutch kit inc release bearing at £585 from any Honda dealer, and warranted for 12 months. Your symptoms are classic clutch slip experienced in the ICTDI.

Had exactly the same symptoms, new clutch fitted a couple of weeks ago, problem solved. I sadly needed a new DMF along with a new offside driveshaft. There was some wear in the driveshaft splines which, according to my mechanic, could have been caused by the DMF wear. Hopefully your bill will be nothing like mine.

This is the worry!

Went on a 50 mile trip last night with plenty of chances to test it out, its not chronic, but it will need fixed at some point.

£595 I can bear as i'm planning on keeping the car for a few more years.

Thanks all.

Though I would post a follow up, even if it sounds stupid.

My front tyres were worn out (one pretty bady) - replaced them a week ago and the clutch slip issue seems to have gone.

Is it possible I was experiencing wheelspin in the cold weather in 3rd/4th when at full torque?
Or could the change in temps have solved the problem for now?

The tracktion control light was not coming on, which makes me want to rule out the wheelspin idea - but the problem has 100% gone for now :eek: and all seems normal.

If it was wheelspin Craig, I suspect that the traction control light would have flashed up. My suggestion is if its not slipping now, I would leave it till it comes back. If it does come back though, dont leave it slipping for too long as it may cause further damage, but if its not slipping now then it shouldnt be doing any harm.

Craig, when the clutch starts to slip in these cars, it does not happen instantly. You'll have the initial period, when the clutch slips only sometimes, or only in certain gear. It may (or may not) be followed by a period when the slipping is gone, that is probably because of final attempts of the self-adjusting springs to cure it, but it normally does not last (a month or two probably). The best thing to do when it starts to slip, and you are sure it is the clutch (you won't mix it with wheelspin, believe me), is to get it to a Honda dealership and replace it under the Honda happiness scheme - £585 inclusive, £595 if you need a replacement car while they fix yours.
By the way, try to find more info on the dealer you'll be using, some dealers are not worth the money for the Honda sign on their doors and you may decide to go a little bit further to get a better service.

out of expereince I wouldn't let it go on for too long. I left it for around 3,000 miles slowly getting worse (ended up slipping in 3-4-5-6th). Net result was needing a new flywheel too (£940 odd quid on top of the £585 for the clutch).
I was *very* lucky that honda accepted an out of warranty claim on the car.

Len