What's new

Code B1177, abnormal battery voltage

pstruck

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 Accord 2.4 EX
My 2.4 has just come back from (non main dealer garage) having a binding rear brake and failed ABS sensor sorted, but something else has cropped up.

The guy at the garage showed me a screenshot from the diagnostics which gave code B1177 'abnormal battery voltage'. A yellow triangle light is now on the dash and the VSA pinged on again. Now this wasn't showing before, but the possible symptoms were. Since I bought the car it has never failed to start, but always feels a little slow to turn on the key. In fact the place I bought it (10 months ago) dropped in a new battery, which I guess was because it was turning over slowly and they felt a new battery was the answer. It would appear not.

Can anyone help with any suggestions. I'm a bit miffed at getting one problem and VSA light trigger sorted only for another one to crop up. I though Accords were bomb-proof!

How old is the battery? If it's going end-of-life you will get anomalies as the voltage drops. Easiest thing to do is replace it if it's old.

The initial check for B1177 involves checking the battery condition.

If the battery condition is definitely good, then you have to measure the voltage between pin 5 on the 30-pin connector on the Gauge Control Module and Ground. If the voltage is less than 7.5 volts then the yellow wire from pin 5 to the under-dash fuse box needs to be checked out.

If the voltage is greater than or equal to 7.5 volts then check the voltage between pin 5 and pin 21 on the 30-pin connector on the Gauge Control Module. If this voltage is less than 7.5 volts then the black wire from pin 21 to ground needs to be checked out.

If the voltage is greater than or equal to 7.5 volts then the Gauge Control Module is faulty

That sounds like something I don't really want to venture into myself, having a phobia of vehicle electronics. Looks like more expense then!

For previous poster - battery is less than a year old.

Dave G said:
Has the correct battery been fitted when it was replaced?
I hope so, but I haven't checked. I'll have a look tomorrow. Do you know what it should be?

The original factory fitted battery was Panasonic 46B24L(S)-MF
Specification = 45 Ah, CCA 330 Amps

I got a new battery from Holdcroft Honda in 2011 and it was exactly the same battery

Honda part number for the battery is 31500-ST3-111HE

We see this code from time to time and it generally is when the battery is failing the voltage drops sufficiently to store a code. The garage may have left the ignition on as well, battery went weak they tried to crank it and it wouldn't. I would be surprised if it was wiring or gauge control module.

wookie said:
We see this code from time to time and it generally is when the battery is failing the voltage drops sufficiently to store a code. The garage may have left the ignition on as well, battery went weak they tried to crank it and it wouldn't. I would be surprised if it was wiring or gauge control module.
Interesting, as the light was not on before it went in for the brakes work.

freddofrog said:
The original factory fitted battery was Panasonic 46B24L(S)-MF
Specification = 45 Ah, CCA 330 Amps

I got a new battery from Holdcroft Honda in 2011 and it was exactly the same battery

Honda part number for the battery is 31500-ST3-111HE
Seems from the web the current version is now 420 CCA.

[SIZE=12pt]ok, first try to relearn the steering sensor.We get this code sometimes when someone runs the battery low or takes the air bag off. Clear the code and follow this EXACTLY you might need to try it more than once. If it wont take you might need to replace the sensor (very rarely) . [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]NOTE: Do not press the brake pedal during this procedure.[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=12pt]Park the vehicle on a flat and level surface.[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=12pt]With the ignition switch OFF, connect the HDS to the 16P date link connector (DLC) (A) under the driver's side of the dashboard.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=12pt]Short the SCS circuit using the HDS.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=12pt]Turn the ignition switch ON (II) with the brake pedal position switch released.[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=12pt]The ABS indicator comes on for 2 seconds and goes off.[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=12pt]After the ABS indicator goes off, press and release the VSA OFF switch once within 0.5 seconds.[/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=12pt]After the ABS indicator comes on, press and release the VSA OFF switch once within 0.5 seconds.[/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=12pt]The VSA activation indicator blinks two times and goes off in 1 second, then the system completes the VSA sensor neutral position memorization.[/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=12pt]When the ABS indicator, VSA indicator and VSA activation indicator go off, the memorizing is done. If the indicators do not go off, retry these steps.[/SIZE]
  9. [SIZE=12pt]Turn the ignition switch OFF, and disconnect the HDS from the 16P DLC.[/SIZE]

that's an interesting copy-and-paste from somewhere, but it doesn't seem to be related to the thread ***le