What's new

Code reader (ODB2) for 2004 Diesel?

have a look here http://www.talktomycar.co.uk/products/codereaders/codereaders.htm

Or this one that Elite sell

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Launch-CReader-V-OBD2-EOBD-CAN-BUS-Code-Reader-Scanner-/260680393731?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3cb1c32403

You'll be fine with either really. Nice to have's are a back lit screen and powered via obd port (which this one has) and wide support for many cars.

Faddy does the elite one clear mil and other codes or is it just a reader?

Yes mate of course it does. You need to remember that all these code readers can only read generic codes. They might be able to read some manufacturer specific codes but you might end up having to search on Google or the forums to interpret what some of these codes mean.

They also do not reset ABS or Airbag lights, or service indicators lights as these require seperate interface tools.

Dave - sure we can ask the question, or drop Elite an email through the ebay system and mention that you're from here and Fahad suggested you email to see if they're willing to offer you a small discount.

Bear in mind the price includes delivery and their mark up is small so don't be offended if the answer is no. Also, as far as I can see, that particular one is sold by other sellers too but Elite's price is the cheapest on ebay at the moment.

Good to know that, been looking for an entry level unit myself for a while.

I have this same item in my kitbag for when I go to tune a car. It's useful to have in case a car has the MIL on and covers a wide range of cars so if you have a few different cars in the household, it's good to have. Doesn't need any power etc.

OK - got an instant response from Elite, I'll add it to the Elite sub forum, but quickly if anyone from here wants the Launch code reader, for our members only Elite will sell it for £40 posted ;)

If you want the Maxiscan MS509, it's £50 posted.

I think that's pretty good B)

Dave - sure we can ask the question, or drop Elite an email through the ebay system and mention that you're from here and Fahad suggested you email to see if they're willing to offer you a small discount.

Bear in mind the price includes delivery and their mark up is small so don't be offended if the answer is no. Also, as far as I can see, that particular one is sold by other sellers too but Elite's price is the cheapest on ebay at the moment.

It was tongue in cheek question really and if you don`t ask you don`t get.

But thanks for sorting out a discount and thumbs up to Elite for offering it. I think I`ll go for the Maxiscan

Nothing wrong with asking at all mate, happy to help. Get them ordered!

Monks & F6had for the links.

I have emailed the Elite guys to take advantage of the great price on the CReader.

Wil have think about a remap or Eco-map in the spring.

:lol:

Mike, no probs. As you're a pre-member you won't be able to see the full offer details in the Elite forum at the moment.

You don't need to email Elite, you just need to drop one of us in the team a PM and we'll send you instructions of how to buy the item. It won't be sold through ebay at that price.

Yes of course, do get in touch if interested in a remap.

Careful not to push the plug too hard - it's a bit of a weak design on the Accord and sometimes they get pushed all the way through.. it's a pain in the backside to get it back out.

hi
wondering about getting the Maxiscan MS509 as seems like a great offer from Elite - would it tell me what version of ECU software my car's running? Just wondering as girlfriend complained that car "stalls" between first and second gear when she drove it today. i think she means that there is sometimes a slight hesitation to the power between gears. i have noticed it slightly and it is only momentary so it may be the way she drives makes it feel worse - rev dependent? anyway, i've read a few posts on this and seems there may be some issue with the EGR valve or the software running it or the ECU software.
not sure if mine is really a problem but want to know as much as i can before next service so i can ask honda to look at specific items....

but i may buy one of these readers anyway as seem like a good bit of kit to have in my tool box!

hi
wondering about getting the Maxiscan MS509 as seems like a great offer from Elite - would it tell me what version of ECU software my car's running? Just wondering as girlfriend complained that car "stalls" between first and second gear when she drove it today. i think she means that there is sometimes a slight hesitation to the power between gears. i have noticed it slightly and it is only momentary so it may be the way she drives makes it feel worse - rev dependent? anyway, i've read a few posts on this and seems there may be some issue with the EGR valve or the software running it or the ECU software.
not sure if mine is really a problem but want to know as much as i can before next service so i can ask honda to look at specific items....

but i may buy one of these readers anyway as seem like a good bit of kit to have in my tool box!

I've recently got the MS509, must admit not sure whether you can see the version of the ECU software. However what you can see is any stored codes which will have at sometime put the engine warning light on and any pending codes, that maybe put up from an intermittent issue. Plus you can see live data (although you need to be able to interpret it of course)

The issue you are referring to is quite often caused by an intermittent fault in the IMRC Solenoid highlighted in this thread:
Slight Hesitation However the fault generally doesn't throw up a code until it fails completely.

No generic code reader will tell you the software revision guys as it's held in a seperate part of the ECU which is not interrogated by these readers. But even if it could, you won't be able to tell if you're on the latest as Honda don't update the software revision in the conventional way that other manufacturers do. What I've seen them do is apply specific fixes to cars which are suffering problems and these seem to be done by the dealers - not a good move in my view but that's the way they've chosen to do it.

It could be there is a problem, or it could just be this is a characteristic of the car and it can be eliminated with a remap.

Have the codes read first, and ensure there are fresh filters in the car especially fuel filter. If there is still a slight lag (not a miss) then that's just how this car is.

hi
thanks for that. read that monster thread - took two nights! think i'll just monitor car for now......

nearly up to 75k service and want to make sure all car is ok before consider remap = about 2k miles for me to get to know her and any foibles!!!
gona start a thread on servicing....