What's new

Cold air filter advice

caddax

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 6.gen F18B2
Hi!
I need a recommendation for cold air filter, for my Accord 6. gen, F18B2?

Thanks!

One on ebay mate! Long ram.. Does the job! Do a search.. 1.8/2.0 are same setup so dont worry

i would suggest u short ram. u get better torque at low range, cleaning is much easier (for CAI u need to put down bumper) and filter is right behind the battery so it wont suck any hot air. if u decide to go for short ram, go for Injen.

You could argue that short ram intakes are subject to heat saturation from the entire engine compartment. It will depend on the layout of the car. I know the engine on the 6th gen is basically 180 degrees to that of the 7th gen. But when I changed my short ram for a long ram CAI, the CAI was better, no argument. Quite simply, the car seemed happier.

well some claimed they needed hydro shield on CAI as they were getting water into system in rainy days.

mine setup

IMG_0363.jpg

Yeah mines the same setup i was abit weary of putting an air filter were the resignator went with the chance of it sucking up water

I've run mine for 2 years. Had some serious rain last winter, I was worried at times, but managed to navigate a ford near my work several times without issue. Mine's DIY'd so the length isn't too long. It's just the other side of the hole where the air pipe goes through from the engine. It's not down at the floor like others. It's a compromise between ideal placement and away from heat saturation from engine.

2013070713_zps821d0a72.jpg
AirIntake19.jpg

Like I said, I ran short ram for several month and when I changed to this setup, there was a noticeable change for the better.

Havoc said:
well some claimed they needed hydro shield on CAI as they were getting water into system in rainy days.

mine setup

IMG_0363.jpg
That doesn't look like heat soak would be an issue with the location of the filter, I take it thats an Injen short ram?

Agreed. I think the design on the 6th gen is well suited to a short ram. The 7th gen isn't so conducive to this set up. This is what I was running before.

AirIntake07.jpg

It was good. Bought a heat shield for good measure, but I think it really did sweet FA :lol: . I tried the CAI and it was better. Like I said, as I DIY'd it, the piping isn't too long and so it actually sits higher than a normal CAI would probably sit. Found some better picture to demonstrate.

AirIntake17.jpg
AirIntake16.jpg

Superman001 said:
That doesn't look like heat soak would be an issue with the location of the filter, I take it thats an Injen short ram?

Yes its Injen. Its designed to this vehicle. Many manufacturers are making them to fit exactly in car.

Steve: Yes they are made for short ram pretty well. Also CAI are made in way u have it too. But many of them complained about water. Easy fix -> hydro shield from AEM. Many of them want (dont know how u call it) air actually "hitting" filter as they are going faster. In 6G its easy, if u dont have fogs. If u do, u have to do a little custom made pipe and take it near fogs, but again -> water. It depends on owner what he wants. I would say CAI is good but hydro shield is a must, but get ready for shorten cleaning intervals and better torque in mid and top range. On other side short ram gives u low to mid torque plus no hot air sucked in and u can do again DIY and put pipe to from mesh/grille. Its up to u :) but colder air has more O2 and more O2 means better compression :)

for Type R users: http://www.spoonsportseurope.net/ http://mugeneuro.com/

no one loves Hondas more than they do

£500!? :eek: I have the £50 one linked above, except I paid £10 for and it is £40 on ebay. I don't use it, and just modded my airbox which does exactly same thing as a short ram if you add a sport panel filter.

I've got a short ram on mine, great for sound. Just replaced my Ramair filter as i fancied a change and got a genuine HKS powerflow filter for next to nothing, replaced the foam element and put it on this morning. The filter is massive (the element for it measured 230mm in diameter) it must be off a skyline or something, in fact its the same size as the one i used to have on my old MKIV Supra Lol, luckily my short ram is in 2 sections so i could angle the bottom section downwards so the filter could fit in the gap behind the battery. Also sprayed my short arm satin black as bling stuff in my engine bay doesnt stay bling for long because of where i work, will try and get a pic later. ;)

exec said:
£500!? :eek: I have the £50 one linked above, except I paid £10 for and it is £40 on ebay. I don't use it, and just modded my airbox which does exactly same thing as a short ram if you add a sport panel filter.
yes 500. Its really worth it. Japanese know how to treat a cars :) Im actually thinking about wrapping tube into thermo tape to reflect any heat that comes form engine or from bonnet in hot days